Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat constantly loosing hair

• 03-08-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope you can help.

Have a 6yo female cat neutered, adopted by me when i split with my partner .

Anyway lovely, neurotic cat that she is , she constantly looses hair, loads of it . I ve 3 young kids and they are forever getting covered in it. If she brushes off you , you end up destroyed. She has no bald patches and seems healthy and never see her scratching .

Its getting to the stage where im getting fed up constantly going round hoovering after her and am considering getting rid of her but really dont want to :(

Any ideas ? diet? skin disorder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I have a three year old female neutered cat andshe is the same, worse than any cat I've ever had. She sheds hair constantly. If she jumps up on my lap I end up covered in her hairs. But I love her dearly and would never consider giving her up because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Owryan wrote: »
    considering getting rid of her but really dont want to :(
    Most cats shed hair its what they do. Ive ginger hair everywhere because of my cat and i wouldnt dream of getting rid of him for this reason. I just invested in a better hoover and ignore the rest.
    wrote:
    Any ideas ? diet? skin disorder?
    All of the above could be a reason or he just could be a very hairy cat who sheds a lot. Not being funny, but we cant diagnose diet or skin disorder problems on here. What is his diet like? Does he shed all year round or just more in the summer? Is he scratching a lot? Has he lost weight recently? Have you had a recent ve checkup?

Its a very common problem :D

42878941795111159045649.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

angeline wrote: »
    I have a three year old female neutered cat andshe is the same, worse than any cat I've ever had. She sheds hair constantly. If she jumps up on my lap I end up covered in her hairs. But I love her dearly and would never consider giving her up because of it.

Giving her up is a last resort but everything ends up destroyed esp the kids clothes, sometimes it takes several washes to get the hair out. Really hoping its something i can sort

Do you brush her coat? You should do so daily with a good brush from the pet shop and that will remove excess hair. Some cats simply shed more than others.

Do you brush her coat? You should do so daily with a good brush from the pet shop and that will remove excess hair. Some cats simply shed more than others.

have tried that but didnt make much difference sadly, at this stage im thinking.....................immac lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Owryan wrote: »

have tried that but didnt make much difference sadly, at this stage im thinking.....................immac lol

A bit of duct tape helps lift hair off your work clothes in the morning.

My cat sleeps in the laundry basket or the hot press so I am familiar with this problem.

Didnt realise it was so common as i'm not a cat person at all.

I swear she deliberately brushes off me just to get a reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If you don't want a cat that wil leave hairs all over the house, get a sphynx! Cats just shed a lot, I doubt it would be much to do with diet, what are you feeding? Invest in a good lint roller, I swear by them.

what are you feeding?

Very picky eater, the felix pouches are all she has and the Tesco cat nuts .
    usually gets some tuna/salmon during the week and pineapple on occasion.

Hmm well the quality of the food may be having some implications, I feed mine go cat or a more expensive food every second month. So this month they are eating hills science plan, next time they will get go cat, after that I will go back to feeding them royal canin coat beauty. I find mine shed the least on this food and get a brilliant shine. Mine also always have the whiskas pouched as they do need a bit of moisture. Tesco own brand cat food wouldn't be great to be honest, can you afford to get a better quality dry food? Even the fussiest of eaters usually adore the good quality foods.

• Advertisement

She wont eat other dry foods. Have tried the "let her starve" approach but she ll just kill a pigeon instead .

I feed my cat Royal Canin nuts but Royal Canin also do pouches of wet food which she loves. They have a variety of them.

Just out of curiosity what dry foods have you tried her on?

Advertisement