Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Oil Depot fire in South Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Bards wrote: »
    Could it be the Agricultral Supplies place down by Miltown Cross? Do they supply green diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I take it from the RTE article that the depot is alongside the M9 southbound carriageway somewhere between Mullinavat and Waterford bypass as they had to close the road due to bad visibility. It must have been very bad when they had to do that.

mfitzy wrote: »
    I take it from the RTE article that the depot is alongside the M9 southbound carriageway somewhere between Mullinavat and Waterford bypass as they had to close the road due to bad visibility. It must have been very bad when they had to do that.
    Yeah, RTE are saying that the Motorway is closed, but other sources are saying to avoid 'old road'.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0803/breaking25.html
    Gardaí are asking local motorists to avoid the area and have also urged motorist on the Dublin to Cork motorway not to exit at the Mullinavat exit

http://www.thejournal.ie/fire-oil-depot-waterford-544549-Aug2012/
    Gardaí are asking local motorists to avoid the area, and have appealed those those travelling on the M9 Dublin-Waterford motorway not to exit at the Mullinavat exit.

Such bad information. AA roadwatch have the M9 closed southbound as well.
    I imagine it's the depot Bards pointed out so on the old N9 road. That would make sense.
    LOL at the Dublin-CORK road bit.

• Advertisement

Such bad information. AA roadwatch have the M9 closed southbound as well.
    I imagine it's the depot Bards pointed out so on the old N9 road. That would make sense.
    LOL at the Dublin-CORK road bit.
    Yeah, I reckon Bards is spot on. The railway line goes right behind that place, so that would explain why the trains are stopping at Kilkenny.

But if the motorway is closed, what way will they divert traffic, as the fire is on the 'old road' (perhaps). The only way I can think of is if they send them out over Bishopsmountain?

Yeah, I reckon Bards is spot on. The railway line goes right behind that place, so that would explain why the trains are stopping at Kilkenny.

But if the motorway is closed, what way will they divert traffic, as the fire is on the 'old road' (perhaps). The only way I can think of is if they send them out over Bishopsmountain?

I think they are inaccurate with the info. Reckon the old N9 (R448) is the one that's closed. The wind would have to be blowing in two directions to close both roads as they are parralel to one another ;)
    And according to met.ie winds in south leinster are blowing from the south eassterly diecrtion today i.e. away from the M9.
    Still does not explain the railway being closed though as it's in such close proximity the emergency services may need access or advised closure due to H&S risks.

AA roadwatch seem to have updated their info to the R448 (old N9) closed;
    their original advice was obviously making the situation worse!
    http://www.aaireland.ie/aa/aa-roadwatch.aspx
    M9 open as normal.

I think they are inaccurate with the info. Reckon the old N9 (R448) is the one that's closed. The wind would have to be blowing in two directions to close both roads as they are parralel to one another ;)
    And according to met.ie winds in south leinster are blowing from the south eassterly diecrtion today i.e. away from the M9.
    Still does not explain the railway being closed though as it's in such close proximity the emergency services may need access or advised closure due to H&S risks.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/oil-truck-fire-causes-traffic-disruption-561737.html
    A one-kilometre exclusion zone has been set up in the area, as emergency services work to bring the blaze under control.

Road closures and suspended rail services will be in place until at least lunchtime tomorrow, due to the risk of an explosion.

Risk of explosion is a pretty good reason to close the rail line! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yet a cargo train just passed me (south of thomastown). Not sure what direction it was going though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Just talking to my brother they live over that way and he says its pretty bad with smoke and now iv to take the long way home to KK from Waterford, anyone know for certain is the M9 closed

S28382 wrote: »
    Just talking to my brother they live over that way and he says its pretty bad with smoke and now iv to take the long way home to KK from Waterford, anyone know for certain is the M9 closed

M9 appears to be open still so I'd keep going unless diverted otherwise rather than the old goat track ;)

cocoshovel wrote: »

Compare it to the picture on the RTE website, it just might be. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0803/major-fire-at-co-kilkenny-oil-depot.html
    I think we have a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

Those bus transfers on the rail line are a bit of a pain, as some of them will have to serve Thomastown as well I would think, and especially on a bank holiday weekend.
    Be better get the bus unless tickets booked beforehand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Those bus transfers on the rail line are a bit of a pain, as some of them will have to serve Thomastown as well I would think, and especially on a bank holiday weekend.
    Be better get the bus unless tickets booked beforehand.

Spot on, its also bull**** that people have to pay train ticket prices and then get on a bus. There should be some sort of reduction

Cabaal wrote: »
    Spot on, its also bull**** that people have to pay train ticket prices and then get on a bus. There should be some sort of reduction

I guess it's unforeseen circumstances for Irish Rail and an added nightmare/expense trying to provide buses at short notice on a busy bank holiday. I'd imagine a lot would be travelling down to the seaside and to the (think it's on this weekend?) Spraoi festival.

Though it's probably faster by direct bus between KK and Waterford these days on the M9 vs the single track of rail line ;)....

Though it's probably faster by direct bus between KK and Waterford these days on the M9 vs the single track of rail line ;)....

But its going to have to take the dangerous road to thomastown trainstation via bennetsbridge.

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    But its going to have to take the dangerous road to thomastown trainstation via bennetsbridge.

I'd imagine they might have a few buses laid on and passengers only for Waterford directed onto those and tear down along the M9 ;)
    Thomastown passengers may be brought by mini-bus or something perhaps. Depends on how busy the train would be I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

M9 appears to be open still so I'd keep going unless diverted otherwise rather than the old goat track ;)

Yeah the M9 is open i just travelled it there is smoke going across the motorway but its not too bad that they will close it. :)

Advertisement