Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How should one dress at a certain age

• 03-08-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Should you change your dress style as you move from your late 20s to early 30s.
    Speaking for males here,a lot of my friends early 30s now wouldn't be seen in a hoodie or very casual clothes.
    What should a early to mid 30 yr old male wear and not wear,where should they get these clothes etc.
    Thinking I might have to lose the casual gear but I am in a suit most of the week and hate the thought of dressing formal because my age dictates it.
    Opinions folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

The older you get, the lower your pants over your jocks should be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Corset, suspenders, short skirts and no knickers... can't go wrong! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Wear what you want. simples!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

wear whatever you are most comfortable in

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Dress as you feel. Naturally you'll change your style as you get older. I wouldn't do it from pressure from society. I love seeing some older yummy mummies wearing cons or and item of clothing that keeps their style youthful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

nudity for all in their 20's and 30's, the rest should cover up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

you need advice,
    I charge by the hour, 50 an hour :cool:

pm me

Seriously though, there's no rule for style other than, try to find your own.

Colour is important, there are some that suit some, trying to find your colours can be tricky.

Some late 20's kids wear college age clothes and some wear more clothes for 30's aged people, there's no rule.

It depends on your attitude and even on the occasion or event that you're attending, dinner as opposed to a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

The older you get, the lower your pants over your jocks should be...

"Old grandma, she t'ain't what she used to be, t'ain't what she used to be, t'ain't what she used to be"...

Personally, as I coast towards 30, I find myself more drawn to more elegant clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

As a 30's college kid, I will wear what I damn well like. Might feel a bit silly in a few years time if I was sat at the dinner table stilling wearing a hoodie with a mob of my little ones.

Sure look at the tracksuit mafia, born in a tracksuit....
    Basically wear whatever you want, just not a mankini they are so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wear what you like to wear - its all up to you - there are no rules, and the people that think they're rules, are boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am starting to get conscious of this I am in my 40s but my clothes style is still in my 20s, I still get away with it as I have always exercised and kept myself fit, well until the Olympics came on, I will be Jabba the hut at the end of these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Keep in shape and wear what you want. If you're in good shape you can pull off whatever you want. If you know people that would judge you for wearing a hoodie then the next time you wear one and you happen to meet them just gently push them in front of a bus and give them a little wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My hubby and I were just talking about this recently. He would still wear pretty much the same clothes he wore 10 years ago (he’s 35 now) he would still wear hoodies etc as casual wear, but would dress up a bit more obviously if we were going somewhere a bit fancy. I work with guys who are only a couple of years older than him, and they have such an old fashioned style, if you stood my hubby beside them, you would think he was 10 years younger. They wear these awful beige chinos and navy jackets with jumpers and shirts underneath, I don’t know where you would even get clothes like that in Ireland!

I would think my hubby has a youthful outlook on life and can carry it off. I think it’s ok within reason, and as long as you always had that style, I might have something to say if the hubby started dressing like an emo all of a sudden. Changing your style very dramatically just smacks of a mid life crisis IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I always assumed that when I was "grown up" I'd wear suits/jacket and tie all the time, like my Dad did.

In reality, I'm still wearing the same stuff I always wore, and it's hard to imagine that changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

My mother told me:- Never be first into a new fashion or last out of an old fashion. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Sappa wrote: »
    Should you change your dress style as you move from your late 20s to early 30s.
    Speaking for males here,a lot of my friends early 30s now wouldn't be seen in a hoodie or very casual clothes.
    What should a early to mid 30 yr old male wear and not wear,where should they get these clothes etc.
    Thinking I might have to lose the casual gear but I am in a suit most of the week and hate the thought of dressing formal because my age dictates it.
    Opinions folks

If you need the opinions of others on how you should dress 'at your age', you still have some growing up to do, whatever age you are.

You're an adult in charge of your own life. Wear what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

What teenage girls are wearing now, the tights and the hotpants well hotpants is an overstatement more like nearly pants, I can't see many of them wearing them into their 40s.

How their parents let them outside the door like that is beyond me, OK I am still old fashioned when it comes to certain fashions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Colmustard wrote: »
    What teenage girls are wearing now, the tights and the hotpants well hotpants is an overstatement more like nearly pants, I can't see many of them wearing them into their 40s.

How their parents let them outside the door like that is beyond me, OK I am still old fashioned when it comes to certain fashions.

Couldnt agree more. Was out a few weeks ago in a pub next to a nightclub, there was an underage disco on. Teens from Id say 15-17. They barely had clothes on. I saw about 20 pairs of arse cheeks! Couldnt believe it, everyone in the pub was just staring at them, open mouthed. A few people were commenting on how ridiculous it was.

Im only 20, went to nightclubs from 16 on and never ever dressed like tha. yes i might have worn short dresses, low cut dresses etc but nobody saw what I had for breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more. Was out a few weeks ago in a pub next to a nightclub, there was an underage disco on. Teens from Id say 15-17. They barely had clothes on. I saw about 20 pairs of arse cheeks! Couldnt believe it, everyone in the pub was just staring at them, open mouthed. A few people were commenting on how ridiculous it was.

Im only 20, went to nightclubs from 16 on and never ever dressed like tha. yes i might have worn short dresses, low cut dresses etc but nobody saw what I had for breakfast!

The girls in my class at school dressed as if they were under Sharia Law back in the day.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

[QUOTE=

Im only 20, went to nightclubs from 16 on and never ever dressed like tha. yes i might have worn short dresses, low cut dresses etc but nobody saw what I had for breakfast![/QUOTE]

Creampie? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will be buried in T-shirt and jeans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A nappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Trousers up to the arm-pits and a big woolly cardie with big buttons and the remnants of vomit down the front of it. Never fails if you want to be a middle-aged sex-machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Preferably, wear clothes that fit.

Used to work with a fat fúck who's clothes where too small for him. Ass and belly all over the fúcking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

This weekend my attire is that of a Cossack General,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I find this ensemble suits my gentlemanly demeanour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I find this ensemble suits my gentlemanly demeanour.

T'is quite eh... outstanding. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Deciding to yourself you "should" change your clothing style because of a notion (that comes from where the hell?) that your age means this change is required - how spineless.

Genuine personal preference is obviously different though. People in the early 30s looking auld before their time - yeah whatever.

I'd recommend dressing in a way that suits you/you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement