Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite app for... [tablets]

• 03-08-2012 3:38pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what people's favourite apps are for a few basic operations on Android tablets.

Browser
    I use opera mobile currently. I'm happy enough with it and see no compelling reason to change.

File Manager
    Astro for the time being but I hate the ads and am too stingy to pay for the pro version. Will try File Manager HD and a couple of others until I find one I like.

Video Player
    BSPlayer, hands down. Subtitle search, video flip (speakers at the top of the tablet, yes please!) and seems to play everything.

Audio Player
    I haven't really bothered looking into this. I have the trial version of Pro Player something which is good, but not free. I don't intend to listen to music much on the tablet.

Notes
    I have yet to test out the various note applications. Any suggestions?

Keyboard
    Swiftkey tablet x 3 for now until the trial period runs out. I can't get swype to work for some reason

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Browser
    I use the standard browser in full screen mode with quick buttons.

File Manager
    I am currently using Solid Explorer Beta. I like the dual screen browser on it.

Video Player
    Dice Player with the Tegra 2 add-on. Plays almost everything.

Audio Player
    Like yourself I don't really use it to play music that often but I do have TuneIn Radio and Google Music available if I have such an inkling.

Notes
    I use Catch Notes. Handy little app with a web interface too so you can add notes from the phone or PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Browser: Chrome (my favourite android browser)
    Files: Root Explorer
    Media: MX Player Pro (plays anything I throw at it)
    Audio: n/a (don't listen to music)
    Notes: Catch Notes (Nice for quickly adding notes, syncs online)
    Keyboard: Swiftkey 3. There is nothing like it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Updated with keyboard question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

This is what I mainly use on my tablet. Nothing shocking or surprising :

Dolphin Browser
    Facebook
    Gmail
    Google Reader
    Grooveshark
    LastPass
    Netflix
    Onenote
    Quickoffice HD
    Stumbleupon
    Swiftkey 3
    Ted
    Tune In Radio Pro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Browser
    Quick ICS Browser. I find the swipe in buttons at the side (where my thumbs tend to be, really usable). It plays Flash (still) which is handy.

File Manager
    EStrongs File Manager. I've messed around with a couple but keep coming back to this because of its ability to browse network shares and FTP servers.

Video Player
    Flick between Mobo & MX Video Player. They play everything. I tend to browse to my videos using the File Manager (above) rather than use the players way of finding video.

Audio Player
    Don't listen to much music. I have Google Music on it which works well. I use Tune In Pro more than listen to music. The pro version isn't much better than the free version but it's worth giving the developer the few cent he's asking for it.

Notes
    I used to use Catch but I've moved to Evernote. Quite happy with it.

Keyboard
    I use Swype Beta.

I've a S3 too. None of the apps above are tablet specific. I have them all on my phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

one thing that annoys me in opera is that you can't clear your previous search result without going in and deleting it letter by letter. chrome simply does not work on my tablet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

One thing maybe to mention is whether the apps your using are paid or free versions, sometimes that can be the difference between a great recommendation and one that leaves you scratching your head.

I'm enjoying the research all the same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trevordurity

Browser
    Chrome.

File Manager
    Was using ES but recently moved back to Astro.

Video Player
    MX Player. Takes practically every format.

Audio Player
    Using Winamp for the wireless sync and the stock player to play the music (since winamp doesn't have a lock screen widget). That said I rarely play music from the tablet.

Notes
    Have been searching for a decent notes app with syncing for ages and went through quite a few. Trying out Evernote at the moment and it seems quite decent.

Keyboard
    Had Swiftkey but moved back to the stock keyboard

Other most used apps

Pocket (offline reader)
    DoggCatcher (podcast downloader)
    Zinio (great magazine app with a huge selection)
    Xmarks
    Lastpass
    Various software language reference apps
    Dropbox

Advertisement