Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST BRUSHCUTTER MAKE /MODEL

Options
  • 03-08-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi guys,so im looking at buying a brushcutter for my 1/2 to 3/4 acre site .i have looked alot online and researched different makes just wondering what people on here like best ,whats best quality along with value,,,im looking at the japanese machines like echo and tanaka ,also oleo-mac,and stihl but think there very overpriced for what they are or do others disagree..ive kinda been told to stay away from husqvarna since they got taken over by the electrolux group ,,not as good as they use to be...so again to recap what would u guys recommend looking at 2 stroke mainly up to 350 euros ,all advice welcome,,,also im thinking of buying online from uk as prices seem so much cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

bazbrady wrote: »
    Hi guys,so im looking at buying a brushcutter for my 1/2 to 3/4 acre site .i have looked alot online and researched different makes just wondering what people on here like best ,whats best quality along with value,,,im looking at the japanese machines like echo and tanaka ,also oleo-mac,and stihl but think there very overpriced for what they are or do others disagree..ive kinda been told to stay away from husqvarna since they got taken over by the electrolux group ,,not as good as they use to be...so again to recap what would u guys recommend looking at 2 stroke mainly up to 350 euros ,all advice welcome,,,also im thinking of buying online from uk as prices seem so much cheaper.

Tanaka would be my pick of two stroke machine be it a brush cutter, hedge trimmer or chainsaw simply because of the reliability and cost when compared to the likes of a Stihl or Husqvarna.

http://www.amrentals.ie/Brush_cutters/strimmers.htm there is a decent priced Hitachi around the middle of that page which has the same engine and shaft as a Tanaka TBC270. (Hitachi is bought over Tanaka a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

thanks mickey yeah i was looking at am rentals before seem good and that hitachi /tanaka looks very good ,i think i will go with the jap stuff so also heard alot rental machines are tanaka so thats a good sign...i take it all most can change out the line head and attach a metal blade for heavy weeds etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Yea it is straight forward enough to attach the blade. Most strimmers / brush cutters that size come with the bolt and spacers to let you fit a blade. We use Tanaka ourselves for hire because they rarely break and if they do parts are always available within a day or two, also spare parts are generally reasonably priced for genuine tanaka parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd second Tanaka,I have a TBC 4200 and its been as reliable as a stone.
    Tanaka stuff is very well built and should last a long time.
    Kawasaki TH series are also good, as are Maruyama.
    Buy any of those and you should be good for a long time.
    Just do yourself and the engine a favour and only buy good quality 2 stroke oil preferably full synthetic. but good semi synthetic will do.
    Get a dedicated mix bottle and only ever keep mix in it, then there will never be a case of running straight petrol which causes a lot of failures.
    Husqvarna are no longer Electrolux, they split away in 2006.
    I like their stuff but it is expensive.

i see interesting about husq alot people giving me mis -information so,im prity much decided on tanaka/hitachi and like the model in am rentals on special in Newry but just have a few concerns guys not sure if you can help,i have alot of trees surrounding my site and am palying with the idea of getting one the brushcutters that i can attach a pole pruner aswell...just wondering what people think of these models ,ie is the shaft spline where these attach a weak link or are they used commercially ,just wondering are they as robust as a dedicated brushcutters ,as i think id save some money rather than getting a brushcutter and a seperate pole tree pruner...what do yous think?any advice welcome..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How much work will you have for the polesaw?
    If its only a few branches then I would get a curved saw on a long pole and save a bit of money.
    The split shaft models are good but the attachments are expensive when you start adding them up.
    If you have regular work for the attachments then consider one.

workwise not sure its a 3/4 acre site surrounded by trees ,so i suppose in the summer months would be a bit of pruning on them some them are fairly high..and at the front of the site theres a bit of hedge row and beech hedging..just think seperates might be better last longer..lived in an estate before so never had this problem :).!!!thanks again

Advertisement