Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema (Planned) at MacDonagh Junction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

this will be a great addition to the centre if it come's to pass, and it will clean up that area of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

"development at this site of 0.35 ha approximately situated on the site of the disused rail tracks and former station platform (a Protected Structure) on the southern edge of the MacDonagh Junction Goods’ Shed Square."

I thought this was the reason it was rejected before, maybe I'm mistaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

"development at this site of 0.35 ha approximately situated on the site of the disused rail tracks and former station platform (a Protected Structure) on the southern edge of the MacDonagh Junction Goods’ Shed Square."

I thought this was the reason it was rejected before, maybe I'm mistaken though.

Not sure it was rejected before? Think this is the first time they applied. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

mfitzy wrote: »
    Not sure it was rejected before? Think this is the first time they applied. Could be wrong though.

Ah, I may have just stumbled on it a while back in the starter stage.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Another Cinema so close to the town center? Completely pointless in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Doff wrote: »

but is this not where it should be located, pointless having it out of town, kids cant just jump in the car and drive, in my opinon this is the perfect place for a new cinema,

on another topic the coco have given the opw permission to have a ice rink in the castle park for 3 months off the summer and 3 winter months,

Why is that? The other is a 4 screener and totally inadequate. We often head to Carlow to their new cinema which is really good.

The one we have is a stones throw away from the center of town. I don't see the point in having another one which really isn't that far away. I'd rather see the money invested in something which we need or don't already have. The skatepark idea isn't even that bad because that could provide generations of use, I'd much rather see that. Even if they did make a cinema up there it still wouldn't beat the one in Carlow unless they made a Tesco across the road from it :P

The one we have is a stones throw away from the center of town. I don't see the point in having another one which really isn't that far away. I'd rather see the money invested in something which we need or don't already have. The skatepark idea isn't even that bad because that could provide generations of use, I'd much rather see that. Even if they did make a cinema up there it still wouldn't beat the one in Carlow unless they made a Tesco across the road from it :P

It's a private enterprise so they are going to invest their money in where they see a return. Do you think the other cinema is adequate?
    Skatepark can happen too but it's nothing to do with a new cinema really.

I think the other cinema is fine. I've never seen it packed which is mainly what I'm basing my opinion on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Kilkenny seems to have a habit of building two of everything. Why is this? Are people generally too lazy to walk the ten minutes across town...??

I think the other cinema is fine. I've never seen it packed which is mainly what I'm basing my opinion on.

problem with the cinema that we have at the min is choice only 4 screens, other than that its great,
    kk 8 movies listed
    cw 13 movies listed
    that is why we need another just for choice alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Is it a different cinema company, will they show the films that don't get shown at the existing cinema? I hope so:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

hi5 wrote: »
    Is it a different cinema company, will they show the films that don't get shown at the existing cinema? I hope so:).
    Different company, from Waterford I think

from reading through the planning app in the first post, i think it will be run by a different company, looks like from reading it omiplex have made an objection, anyone know what cinema companies we have in ireland?

linny wrote: »
    from reading through the planning app in the first post, i think it will be run by a different company, looks like from reading it omiplex have made an objection, anyone know what cinema companies we have in ireland?

They would wouldn't they? it would intervene with their monopoly ;)
    Though not sure where you are reading about an objection in this case?

They would wouldn't they? it would intervene with their monopoly ;)
    Though not sure where you are reading about an objection in this case?

i cant copy or link the two objections one is from KKB and other from

omniplex everything from noise to parking:rolleyes:

but if you open the link in first post and open scanned files, they are the two

submissions from third parties

i cant copy or link the two objections one is from KKB and other from

omniplex everything from noise to parking:rolleyes:

but if you open the link in first post and open scanned files, they are the two

submissions from third parties

LOL Parking? There's a 1200 space underground one right beside it :D

What are KKB?
    It's not credible for them to object(Omniplex) on any other basis other than loss of business. And last time I check Ireland was a free market economy.

LOL Parking? There's a 1200 space underground one right beside it :D

What are KKB?
    It's not credible for them to object(Omniplex) on any other basis other than loss of business. And last time I check Ireland was a free market economy.

KKB are keep kilkenny beautiful, based no2 john street, they came up with some old rail building in france been turned into a muesum and an old rail line in manhatan been turned into a public board walk, :D

KKB are keep kilkenny beautiful, based no2 john street, they came up with some old rail building in france been turned into a muesum and an old rail line in manhatan been turned into a public board walk, :D

Oh fcuk off. If you don't want progress or development then move to Leitrim or somewhere. I know who you are talking about alright. Part of the Kilkenny self-appointed "knows best" brigade. The few jobs the cinema and construction might bring do not come into it.
    Kilkenny Railway station has very little to offer in terms of history, even less so as a mueseum (which no doubt you and I would be subsidising to indulge these people's fanatasies)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Both Kilkenny and Carlow have the Omniplex,Waterford is the Odean/UCI and Thurles is IMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Oh fcuk off. If you don't want progress or development then move to Leitrim or somewhere. I know who you are talking about alright. Part of the Kilkenny self-appointed "knows best" brigade. The few jobs the cinema and construction might bring do not come into it.
    Kilkenny Railway station has very little to offer in terms of history, even less so as a mueseum (which no doubt you and I would be subsidising to indulge these people's fanatasies)!

These people play a massive part in looking after Kilkenny, keeping it tidy, and beautifying it. In fact, considering they give up their tme and effort to keep the place looking well, it could be considered that they pay to indulge everyone else's fantasies ( a well kept civic space). Not sure why such groups, who gve so much to the community, always arouse so much petty hostility.

Einhard wrote: »
    These people play a massive part in looking after Kilkenny, keeping it tidy, and beautifying it. In fact, considering they give up their tme and effort to keep the place looking well, it could be considered that they pay to indulge everyone else's fantasies ( a well kept civic space). Not sure why such groups, who gve so much to the community, always arouse so much petty hostility.

No taking away their good work and doubtless volunterism. It's whenb they start objecting to developement and progress at the expense of the wider public I become "hostile" as you say. Their opinion is not neccessarily the right one and people are entitled to argue the case against.
    I mean a railway museum? In Kilkenny? Seriously, crazy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No taking away their good work and doubtless volunterism. It's whenb they start objecting to developement and progress at the expense of the wider public I become "hostile" as you say. Their opinion is not neccessarily the right one and people are entitled to argue the case against.
    I mean a railway museum? In Kilkenny? Seriously, crazy :p

Oh yeah, argue the case against, but sometimes people tend to get quite hostile about these things.

Also...I could see the merit in some form of museum or cultural building other than a cinema there. I have a thing against using heritage buildings for things which couldjust as easily be built elsewhere. To be honest, I think progress would be best represented were a new cinema to be built and something a little bit different built on that site at McDonagh.

Einhard wrote: »
    Oh yeah, argue the case against, but sometimes people tend to get quite hostile about these things.

Also...I could see the merit in some form of museum or cultural building other than a cinema there. I have a thing against using heritage buildings for things which couldjust as easily be built elsewhere. To be honest, I think progress would be best represented were a new cinema to be built and something a little bit different built on that site at McDonagh.

I know but in fairness Kilkenny is not lacking in heritage buildings. Apart from it could do with a facility like the GB Shaw Theatre in Carlow of some sort.
    Museums never pay their way or make money really. Sadly, we are living in a commercial world and that's the aim of the cinema plan no doubt.

not long to go now, decision due tomorrow,if it does get go ahead prob be appealed to An Bord Pleanála

Is there anything to be said for another Dunnes? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Omniplex Kilkenny opened it's doors in 1993 and I think it's very petty of them to object to opening a new cinema in the city. I personally use Carlow Cinema because of the better facilities and bigger screens and believe a new cinema of this type in Kilkenny would enhance the choices on offer to the public.

And no before you ask, I don't have any connections to the proposed new cinema but totall agree with the free market comments earlier.

We will know later today anyway one way or another.

Oh and also, (O/T I know)

Popcorn is by far and away the most profitable thing sold at the cinema, It is estimated that the mark-up is as much as 10,000 per cent.
    Depending on its price, it can yield more than 90c on every €1 sold. It also, conveniently, makes customers – a captive market – thirsty for drinks.
    In 2002, the British Film Institute described the corn kernel as 'the most profitable substance on the planet, more than heroin, more than plutonium'.

The actual popcorn costs less to produce than the cardboard container it comes in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    Omniplex Kilkenny opened it's doors in 1993 and I think it's very petty of them to object to opening a new cinema in the city. I personally use Carlow Cinema because of the better facilities and bigger screens and believe a new cinema of this type in Kilkenny would enhance the choices on offer to the public.

And no before you ask, I don't have any connections to the proposed new cinema but totall agree with the free market comments earlier.

We will know later today anyway one way or another.

Oh and also, (O/T I know)

Popcorn is by far and away the most profitable thing sold at the cinema, It is estimated that the mark-up is as much as 10,000 per cent.
    Depending on its price, it can yield more than 90c on every €1 sold. It also, conveniently, makes customers – a captive market – thirsty for drinks.
    In 2002, the British Film Institute described the corn kernel as 'the most profitable substance on the planet, more than heroin, more than plutonium'.

The actual popcorn costs less to produce than the cardboard container it comes in.

They're right to object in the interest of protecting themselves. I still have to try Carlow, we went to Waterford last time because KK was full (Ted, awesome film).

Don't go on dragons den anytime soon, the mark up you gave an example of is 1,000% not 10,000% :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

haha you are right, damn you pass maths :-)

Ted was awesome though :)

Advertisement