Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema (Planned) at MacDonagh Junction

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I think most cinema fans vote with their feet when it comes to the cinema in KK and head to waterford or carlow when they really want the big screen experience. A new cinema would be great. even doing a decent revamp of the old one would be something instead of the half-arsed effort they made last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

bring on the new cinema soon please god, went to see the impossible today great film, but about thirty mins into the film, screen went blank (black) for abot 5 mins then lights went on, film was stopped and they had to rewind it, but forgot to switch off the lights, its not the first time i have had this type of experince there. about a year ago went to see something and we were sitting there for twenty mins until someone went out to see what was happening, they forgot to press play

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I wish this got the go ahead. No one likes KK cinema. Opening day of The Hobbit just gathered a hand full of people i'v heard. Went to Carlow myself and it was great except for the price of food. Small popcorn and a bag of Minstrels E7.70. Raped.

:eek::eek: What the hell???

Tesco must make a mint on people heading over to get supplies ;)

Today is the day for An Bord Pleanála to make their decision, Hopefully it will be the right one and what the people of Kilkenny want....... Also lets hope they make a decision and they dont stick it on the long fingure like what they seem to do a lot of lately,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Today is the day for An Bord Pleanála to make their decision
    I wouldn't go by a deadline date.

An Bord Pleanála have not been keeping to deadlines lately for some strange reason.

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    I wouldn't go by a deadline date.

An Bord Pleanála have not been keeping to deadlines lately for some strange reason.

i've noticed that ok is it just the kilkenny section of all over, any big development for kilkenny seem to be (Proposed Decision Date notavailable at this time) seems to be going on months
    Hight Street Mall,
    M9 link Filling Station, hopefully they wont do the same with the cinema

another bit of await now, Case is due to be decided by 12-03-2013 and then it will probably be left hanging knowing what an bord pleanala:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    another bit of await now, Case is due to be decided by 12-03-2013 and then it will probably be left hanging knowing what an bord pleanala:mad:

What's the big deal? It's a bloody cinema, not a puppy shooting range :p

Why does everything have to be such a song and dance with planning in Kilkenny. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Quickdraw McGraw

I agree - this is the typical carry on that holds up local progress. How it takes 7 months to decide if we can have a new cinema is beyond me! This is the usual red tape rubbish to keep people in high paid jobs. Similarly why is it taking 5 months to decide if we can have another coffee shop in high st. Its surely not that complex a decision! It will be kilkenny's loss if these ventures go down the tube due to all this dilly-dallying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree - this is the typical carry on that holds up local progress. How it takes 7 months to decide if we can have a new cinema is beyond me! This is the usual red tape rubbish to keep people in high paid jobs. Similarly why is it taking 5 months to decide if we can have another coffee shop in high st. Its surely not that complex a decision! It will be kilkenny's loss if these ventures go down the tube due to all this dilly-dallying!!

Supermarkets, fast food outlets, retail parks, coffee shops, cinemas etc...you know, stuff that is NORMAL in any other town or city has to be scrutinised in Kilkenny to death as to it's socio-economic effects and how detrimental they may be to the town and society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I think it's absolutely valid to scrutinise the necessity for things that may not be necessary. But in the case of a monopoly that generally offers what is regarded as a poor quality product (like our cinema), then we should absolutely have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Quickdraw McGraw

Its the length of time for a decision thats the killer - if there's a valid reason for turning it down made in a reasonable timeframe fair enough! But at least 7 months and more is bizarre and stifles progress! What could they be considering - perhaps there is a fear people might get a full choice of films & some decent price competition for a change - god forbid! Always seems to be vested interests behind many of these appeals also which should raise questions as to their validity!

241063: MacDonagh Junction, Dublin Road and John Street Upper, Kilkenny. (12/22) [Decided]

Decision: Case has been decided, details will not be available before 27-Jun-2013

Date lodged: 2012-09-07 ; decided: 2013-06-24

Demolition/removal of structures on site, dismanteling of former railway station platform (protected structure), construction of cinema building.

hopefully it will be the decision we all want

looks like we have to put up with the cinema we have for now, new cinema planned for mac donagh junction has been slapped down, :mad: will we have to look at that old railway building for the rest of our lives, bloody think should be bulldozed out of it years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

pretty pissed off about that to be honest!
    Anymore details on why that is the case?
    Town is definitely not big enough to keep two running to be honest.

Anymore details on why that is the case?

no more details yet. there web site hasn't been updated so just rang them, and told me it had been refused

Town is definitely not big enough to keep two running to be honest.[/QUOTE]
    but that ain't a valid reason to refuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Can't they just reapply with altered plan, saving whatever historic wall they need to save?

Not bothered either way about new cinema personally but you would think whoever is behind it won't stop at one knock back. So surely there's still hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

So with the weather crap all week i just had an itch to go to the cinema. I saw that IMC have 5 euro rate for this Thursday night so i was well up for It. Herself was tired and none of the films appealed to her so She declined the offer. "**** It!" I said I'll go anyway. Bought my tickets on line and drove over looking forward to the popcorn laced with malteasers while watching little tom cruise running around like a crazy little midget man. Opened the door and the two machines that you put your credit card in were out of order - BOTH OF THEM! To add insult to injury the only had two people on the tills GRRRRRR so a slow moving queue of 40 people
    I got in and the sound was terrible. Reminded me why i had not been to kilkenny cinema in a good while. The staff are very sound in there and they were under pressure. Is it down to Bad management over just the kilkenny cinema or is it down to IMC overall ? I can't really tell.

on a side note I got a seat ticket and when i got the seat number and someone was seating in my seat. I can't complain about that as I do sit in random seats (when i know it is not going to be full) ...Karma is a sneaky fecker or an assigned seating ignoring sneaky fecker should i say

There's a big purge of staff going on in there at the minute, plus don't suppose IMC are going to upgrade facilities in there now if the new place finally gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Bowlardo wrote: »
    on a side note I got a seat ticket and when i got the seat number and someone was seating in my seat. I can't complain about that as I do sit in random seats (when i know it is not going to be full) ...Karma is a sneaky fecker or an assigned seating ignoring sneaky fecker should i say

This is a bit of a problem in there at the moment.

The last few times I have been there have been problems with people in the wrong seats.

If I book online early and choose decent seats then I should not be forced to sit in the front row because some ignorant people sat wherever they liked.

Either enforce the seat numbering or don't have it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 moviemad

Ditto.......booked online to get the €5 deal on Thursday, arrived and both machines were out of order. I went to the lady on the ticket check who apologized after informing me i had to join the q which was nearly out the door to collect it, only a manager (i think) & 1 staff member serving, eventually got my ticket, got inside film was started, my seat was taken.........crazy......stop allocating seats, it just doesn't work, fix your ticket machines & open your ticket office so those of us who don't want food don't have to q for what can feel like FOREVER especially when you don't have sufficient staff working........bad management.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

err, if you have a allocated seat do you not ask the person to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moviemad

Cabaal wrote: »

Usually i would, but as the movie was already started i didn't want to uproot everyone.

Plus the fact that i've asked people before to move and been told to p*** off etc. Allocating seating only works if staff are in the screes showing people to their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Cabaal wrote: »

Yea and then they refuse by saying there's other seats free.

Hasn't happened to me, the guy working there was showing us to our seats and shifted the people out of our seats, but I've seen it happen to other people.

The problem then is a ripple effect of people in wrong seats and grumbling all because of the people who didn't play by the rules.

Cinema are showing the All Ireland this year, might get a few bums on seats, for 2 euro. I'm sure the cinema is probably dead otherwise so not a bad idea.

Advertisement