Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequence of Decorating...

• 03-08-2012 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Just had the living room re-plastered (skimmed) a couple of days ago. It's drying out nicely - should be ready for painting in a couple more days.

I want to put coving up too. Should I paint first, and then put up coving; or put up coving first, and then paint??

Does it even matter which order this is done in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Imo it's better to paint afterwards in case you damage the paint while putting up the coving, plus you'll be painting the coving anyway once it's up so might as well do the lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just had the living room re-plastered (skimmed) a couple of days ago. It's drying out nicely - should be ready for painting in a couple more days.

I want to put coving up too. Should I paint first, and then put up coving; or put up coving first, and then paint??

Does it even matter which order this is done in?

I would leave the room to dry out (in a natural draught) for a good 10 days - 2 weeks.

The longer the better in fact.

We have a climate of warm and moist air at the moment,so let the walls dry out over 2 weeks.

Then whack up the coving,and then paint the lot.

20% Diluted white emulsion paint,as a primer coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks for the advice lads. It seems to all be dried out now. Been the same for the past couple of days.

Just on the coving... One wall in particular is curved at the top - where it meets the ceiling. The rest are normal 90 degree angles. I remember from the past that putting coving on the curved wall was a nightmare... Any tips on how to do it and get a good finish?

Thanks for the advice lads. It seems to all be dried out now. Been the same for the past couple of days.

Just on the coving... One wall in particular is curved at the top - where it meets the ceiling. The rest are normal 90 degree angles. I remember from the past that putting coving on the curved wall was a nightmare... Any tips on how to do it and get a good finish?

Cut multiple small pieces of coving at angles to create a curve.

Then use cove filler,joint filler or some skim to fill in all the small joints/gaps.

End result will be a nice piece of curved coving.:)

Thanks. But the wall is not curved laterally. It curves upwards towards the ceiling...

• Advertisement

Thanks. But the wall is not curved laterally. It curves upwards towards the ceiling...

I wouldnt bother with coving then on that part of the room,where the wall curves "out and up" to the ceiling.

It will look shyte against a normal flat wall/ceiling joint.

Can you post a picture of the curved wall/ceiling you are talking about??

Thanks

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the curved wall/ceiling you are talking about??

Thanks
    Trying to post a pic but I'm on the mobile and it doesn't seem to have an option to attach a pic...

Anyway, if I can shave some of the back side of the coving it might work...

I've attached a photo of what I was talking about.

I've finished the job now anyway.

In case you're interested, I shaved down the back of the coving for this section, so it sat on the curve. There were a couple of gaps between the top of the coving and the ceiling, but that happened all the way round (old house - ceiling is not flat & straight!) - but that's nothing a little filler couldn't sort out.

Advertisement