Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Looking Nation in Europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Norway/Sweden/Switzerland/Northern Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Well, for me as a foreigner - the Irish girls get the vote.
    I think it's that spark in the eye, the accents, the craic, laugh and boobs. Haven't tried any long term, but some romantic times I've had I will never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Did you reply to this survey, Davey? 'Cos I sure didn't!

Well did you reply to the other survey that said Ireland was slightly better? :rolleyes: There's lots of surveys and info out there - believe what you want to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Daniel S wrote: »
    Norway/Sweden/Switzerland/Northern Italy

Why are you discriminating against Southern Italians? I'm so offended! :P

Very specific wish list there I have to say! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well did you reply to the other survey that said Ireland was slightly better? :rolleyes: There's lots of surveys and info out there - believe what you want to believe.

No, I tend to believe things that provide a credible source. Neither survey provided does this. You seem to believe whichever one fits in with your views. ;) Where does that survey get its information? Serious question.

• Advertisement

No, I tend to believe things that provide a credible source. Neither survey provided does this. You seem to believe whichever one fits in with your views. ;) Where does that survey get its information? Serious question.

And how do you know if its a credible source? They were from two different websites. No I don't believe what fits my views - I believe what I see with my own eyes, and from what I've experienced.

And how do you know if its a credible source? They were from two different websites. No I don't believe what fits my views - I believe what I see with my own eyes, and from what I've experienced.

Any good survey will provide its source.

As for your own experience - anecdotal, in addition to being a small sample size.

As for your own experience - anecdotal, in addition to being a small sample size.

Well that goes for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

It will state where the information was sourced, from a pool of how many people etc.

Anyway I can say there's plenty of stunning girls in this country. I suppose guys as well? I've never been tempted that way to be honest. The one nation that really does it for me is Scotland, nothing to do with the looks... just the accent... my God...

It will state where the information was sourced, from a pool of how many people etc.

Anyway I can say there's plenty of stunning girls in this country. I suppose guys as well? I've never been tempted that way to be honest. The one nation that really does it for me is Scotland, nothing to do with the looks... just the accent... my God...

I agree with the accent 100% :)

• Advertisement

Well that goes for you too.

Point me to the post where I made generalisations?

We don't know for sure if any source is credible. Apparently human contribution to global warming comes from a credible source. But get this... there are some crazy people out there who think that global warming is natural and that its been happening for millions of years. Who knows?

Point me to the post where I made generalisations?

Point me to the post where I said you made generalisations? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Poland is pretty high up there. The Scandinavian nations next, Norway/Sweden/Finland.

Point me to the post where I said you made generalisations? :confused:

In that case, I have no idea what you meant by "Well that goes for you too". Makes no sense whatsoever, seeing as I said none of the surveys can be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Augmerson wrote: »
    Poland is pretty high up there. The Scandinavian nations next, Norway/Sweden/Finland.
    Polish have good bodies but that pointy face like a witch.

In that case, I have no idea what you meant by "Well that goes for you too". Makes no sense whatsoever, seeing as I said none of the surveys can be trusted.

You said my experience is anecdotal, in addition to being a small sample size. I said the same goes for you - as in your experiences are anecdotal too. What does that have to do with making generalisations?

The sexual tension in here is getting fierce...

You said my experience is anecdotal, in addition to being a small sample size. I said the same goes for you - as in your experiences are anecdotal too. What does that have to do with making generalisations?

Well, you seem to be applying your own experiences to the population as a whole and backing it up with dubious surveys. Yes, my experiences are anecdotal, as are everyone's. But as I haven't projected my experiences onto the population as a whole, your comment had no relevance.

Well, you seem to be applying your own experiences to the population as a whole and backing it up with dubious surveys. Yes, my experiences are anecdotal, as are everyone's. But as I haven't projected my experiences onto the population as a whole, your comment had no relevance.

At what point did I share my experiences? All surveys are dubious. How is my comment less relevant than a comment from someone who says they prefer Irish women? Just because it doesn't agree with you, that doesn't mean its less relevant than a comment you do agree with.

• Advertisement

I know a fair few girls from Finland and they are absolutely gorgeous. It is a real healthy nation , all into out door pursuits and things like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

At what point did I share my experiences? All surveys are dubious. How is my comment less relevant than a comment from someone who says they prefer Irish women? Just because it doesn't agree with you, that doesn't mean its less relevant than a comment you do agree with.

I hope you two have kids, then we can really inflict ourselves on the rest of Europe.
    You two are hurting my fcuking brain.

At what point did I share my experiences? All surveys are dubious.

Mentioning pyjama-wearing women in a shopping centre, and saying you'd never seem the like on the continent. It happened to you, but it has feck all significance.

If you believe all surveys are dubious, why did you ever link one?

Mentioning pyjama-wearing women in a shopping centre, and saying you'd never seem the like on the continent. It happened to you, but it has feck all significance.

If you believe all surveys are dubious, why did you ever link one?

Again, how is that less relevant than any of the other comments? I'm sure I'm not the only person in Ireland who has seen women wearing pj's in shopping centres.

MOMMY, DADDY, STOP FIGHTING :(

Again, how is that less relevant than any of the other comments? I'm sure I'm not the only person in Ireland who has seen women wearing pj's in shopping centres.

Because it's a few women. The pajama-wearing thing is a tiny subculture of the Irish population, most people know that. And the continent is a big place. Have you been everywhere on the continent, Davey? See where I'm going with this?

Mentioning pajama-wearing women is like me likening all the men in the country to skangers who walk around with their hands down their pants. And that would be just silly.

Because it's a few women. The pajama-wearing thing is a tiny subculture of the Irish population, most people know that. And the continent is a big place. Have you been everywhere in the continent, Davey? See where I'm going with this?

Yes well I'm sure people with a preference for Bosnian women is a tiny sub-culture too. Women who encounter sleazy drunks on a night out are probably in the minority too. See where I'm going with this? My comments or opinions are just as relevent as anyone elses on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yet Spaniards have the fattest children believe it or not. So in a few years that's gonna translate to adult Spaniards.

BTW you're a bit out on your stats. Ireland is just below Spain in obesity stats overall and significantly below the UK
    Obese make up nearly a quarter of all UK folks, compared to just over a tenth in Ireland. We're below the Czech republic too where it seems according to some in AH they're a nation of whip thin models. It seems if you like them skinny Switzerland is the place to go in Europe. Italy another one.

I'm very sceptical of all these differing obesity stats. The national paper here published another list a few weeks ago and Spain was well above Ireland on the obesity scale....we were somewhere in the middle. I don't know what to believe.

Purely from my own experience, if you travel down to the South of Spain and away from the posh tourist destinations, you will see a lot of obesity. Went to a beach there recently and virtually everyone was overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Yes well I'm sure people with a preference for Bosnian women is a tiny sub-culture too. Women who encounter sleazy drunks on a night out are probably in the minority too. See where I'm going with this? My comments or opinions are just as relevent as anyone elses on this thread.

How come whenever these kind of discussions some up Davey, you're always in the thick of it. Seems like you only contribute to these kinds of threads. I never see you post in any others. Strange.

• Advertisement

Yes well I'm sure people with a preference for Bosnian women is a tiny sub-culture too.

Bringing up the pajama ladies is very different. "I've never seen that on the continent". Um, yes, there's few places you'll see it in Ireland either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sappa wrote: »

Get some ****ing glasses pronto.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    How come whenever these kind of discussions some up Davey, you're always in the thick of it. Seems like you only contribute to these kinds of threads. I never see you post in any others. Strange.

Been keeping an eye on me have you Eve? ;) Believe it or not I do contribute to other threads too. Although I admit AH is my fave - and its not like you haven't been involved in a few heated debates here either - and not just with myself. Sure its what makes AH so interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cold weather makes feck all difference to how many calories you burn.
    Nope. Actually it can make a huge diff depending on the climate. Tis basic mammalian biology. As an extreme to illustrate the point, in arctic conditions humans have to eat like horses to keep up their body temp. If they're doing hard work 10,000 calories a day isn't beyond the bounds. Yer man Fiennes(the less handsome, but hard as nails one) on his polar expeditions was chugging down near 12,000 calories a day just to keep up. Endothermic mammals generate heat mostly by calorific intake and in a cold climate the majority of our calories go towards maintaining our core body heat. Ever wonder why a snake can get away with one rat meal every few months? Being exothermic they don't rely on food intake to maintain their metabolism. One of the reasons Inuit folks on very high fat trad diets can get away with it without all the issues of high fat diets in temperate zones is because their climate burns the crap off.

So yes climate and calorie intake are very much linked.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nope. Actually it can make a huge diff depending on the climate. As an extreme to illustrate the point, in arctic conditions humans have to eat like horses to keep up their body temp. If they're doing hard work 10,000 calories a day isn't beyond the bounds. Yer man Fiennes(the less handsome, but hard as nails one) on his polar expeditions was chugging down near 12,000 calories a day just to keep up. Endothermic mammals generate heat mostly by calorific intake and in a cold climate the majority of our calories go towards maintaining our core body heat. Ever wonder why a snake can get away with one rat meal every few months? Being exothermic they don't rely on food intake to maintain their metabolism. One of the reasons Inuit folks on very high fat trad diets can get away with it without all the issues of high fat diets in temperate zones is because their climate burns the crap off.

So yes climate and calorie intake are very much linked.

OK, so we're talking the Arctic, not Toronto or Oslo (sub-Arctic). An explorer versus someone in a more cushy set-up in a cold climate is hardly comparable, which is what we would be talking about for the purposes of this discussion. For example, in Canada outdoor heavy labour work grinds to a halt in the winter. So, for your average, even active, person the cold climate wouldn't make much impact.

If you can refer me to some peer-reviewed articles, I'm all eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

blacklilly wrote: »
    I also think us Irish are too hard on ourselves. I see very attractive Irish

us irish are so ugly that we should all go out and get a gun and blow our heads off!!

• Advertisement

Been keeping an eye on me have you Eve? ;)

Hardly, it's hard not to notice that you always on hand in these kinda threads, making erroneous observations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Hardly, it's hard not to notice that you always on hand in these kinda threads, making erroneous observations.

In fairness, neither side have presented anything concrete. It's down to personal experience for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The nation of Poland has a disproportionate ratio of delightful ladies.

I worked there for a few weeks a few years ago and it was like some sort of lovely lady theme park. Unreal. Where I work at the moment theres this Polish cleaner woman and by golly she is so beautiful.

I loikes the Polish women I do.

Varied wrote: »
    In fairness, neither side have presented anything concrete. It's down to personal experience for both.

Of course it is. But I personally haven't made any generalisations based on my own experiences, in fact I've shied away from them because I think they're stupid. Which they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you can refer me to some peer-reviewed articles, I'm all eyes.
    Try eating steak and chips in a 39 degree summers day in Rome. Are you honestly dismissing how diet and climate relationships may impact an endothermic organism? The extreme illustrates... well the extreme, but the grey area is just as relevant. We need less food in a higher temp environment(even if some of us may ignore it). Our biology recognises this, even if some of us may deny it on the ground. Here's an example concerning cattle. 20% less calorie intake in summer(warm) months. Like I said its basic mammalian biology(and physics).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Try eating steak and chips in a 39 degree summers day in Rome.

I would do that. No bother.
    Are you honestly dismissing how diet and climate relationships may impact an endothermic organism?

Honestly, I think in anywhere outside the extreme you mention, it would be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Sappa wrote: »

you describe one of the types well. theres also the other roundy smiley face, kind of bjork like

Try eating steak and chips in a 39 degree summers day in Rome. Are you honestly dismissing how diet and climate relationships may impact an endothermic organism? The extreme illustrates... well the extreme, but the grey area is just as relevant. We need less food in a higher temp environment(even if some of us may ignore it). Our biology recognises this, even if some of us may deny it on the ground. Here's an example concerning cattle. 20% less calorie intake in summer(warm) months. Like I said its basic mammalian biology(and physics).

If people didn't use clothing this would probably apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think French women are gorgeous, at least the ones I saw in Paris were.

They were so sophisticated and classy, they were almost all very well dressed, not one shade of neon lycra in sight. They were well polished, they had make up on, and their hair styled, but very minimal and natural looking. They were so gorgeous.

One of my friends is half Filipino, half Italian and she is honestly the best looking girl I've ever seen.

Bringing up the pajama ladies is very different. "I've never seen that on the continent". Um, yes, there's few places you'll see it in Ireland either.

Are you always so easily offended Sea Filly? In my original post about the pajamas, I merely said that I recall a period when there were women in Dublin who wore pj's to shopping centres. I very rarely see it now, and I never said all women here do it. Yes I haven't seen it on the continent. Big deal - get over it!

Well excuse me for having an opinion. It's also not hard do notice that you're incredibly defensive when anybody says anything even remotely distasteful about women - even if its done in a sarcastic way.
    Varied wrote: »

Exactly - a concept that Sea Filly finds very difficult to understand.

If people didn't use clothing this would probably apply.
    Oh it certainly has an effect M, but the local climate has some part to play too. On top of that the tendency of having more of your body "on show" in hotter climes is going to have an impact on the effort some would take. Warmer climes are also going to tend to make people more outdoorsy so more exercise. It doesn't take much. Even if all of that was taking say 200 calories a day that will make a long term difference. Smokers tend to be skinnier and people who give up usually put on some weight and that's around the figure(IIRC) that smoking accounts for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Honestly, I like the irish.

none of yer fancy stuff, plus the banter is better

Are you always so easily offended Sea Filly? In my original post about the pajamas, I merely said that I recall a period when there were women in Dublin who wore pj's to shopping centres. I very rarely see it now, and I never said all women here do it. Yes I haven't seen it on the continent. Big deal - get over it!

Well excuse me for having an opinion. It's also not hard do notice that you're incredibly defensive when anybody says anything even remotely distasteful about women - even if its done in a sarcastic way.

Exactly - a concept that Sea Filly finds very difficult to understand.

Just one big lulz to this response! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Why do some posters get so emotional over a thread like this. You wouldn't see this much effort for debate in a thread about child welfare.
    I understand if you've a strong opinion about something but seriously, the thread title "best looking nation in Europe" is hardly something which can conjure up anything other than personal experiences or preferences.
    I honestly think some people on this, just come on to vent their anger that they can't properly express in a non virtual way i.e in reality.
    We all have different opinions but mother of good god, let people express their own without completely jumping down their throat, especially on a thread as meaningless as this.

blacklilly wrote: »
    Why do some posters get so emotional over a thread like this. You wouldn't see this much effort for debate in a thread about child welfare.
    I understand if you've a strong opinion about something but seriously, the thread title "best looking nation in Europe" is hardly something which can conjure up anything other than personal experiences or preferences.
    I honestly think some people on this, just come on to vent their anger that they can't properly express in a non virtual way i.e in reality.
    We all have different opinions but mother of good god, let people express their own without completely jumping down their throat, especially on a thread as meaningless like this.

I couldn't have said it better myself. See what I mean Sea Filly? Let people express an opinion without jumping down their throat. No need to be getting all emotional.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement