Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on planting brassica seedlings

Options
  • 03-08-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently got some cabbage and broccoli seedlings and when I got around to planting them, I noticed that some of them weren't growing straight, i.e. there was a bit of stalk immediately sticking out of the root ball, that was running almost horizontally along the soil and then the stalk took a right angle turn upwards. This section of 'horizontal' stalk is also a different colour, i.e. purple, whereas the rest is green.

Now, I'm wondering what to do, i.e. just plant them so the top of the root ball is level with the soil, or plant them so that the purple bit of the stalk is buried and the rest of the plant is sticking out. I'm afraid that if I do the former that the plants won't be that stable, especially the broccoli ones.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit odd, but it's the best way I can describe it.

Advertisement