Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Repeaters - Anyone dealt with them?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the webshop in the UK? In particular http://www.mobilerepeatershop.com/ ?

I sent in an order a couple of days ago (and paid via Paypal), and only received a response today saying I would get a confirmation (today) after chasing them up.. No confirmation was recieved today despite their assurance.

A bit more digging has shown http://www.gsmbooster.co.uk/contact_us.php is the same company.. And it looks as though the hardware is shipped from Hong Kong..

Starting to wonder if they are legit or not. Anyone else dealt with them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I thought most repeaters were illegal in Ireland if they weren't supplied by the operator? You'll probably want to check that out.

We had a Cell-Fi from Three. At some point something changed and when it was on, it would block all 3 signal around the house, and reception to our phones would come back after it was turned off. Yes, exactly the opposite of what we expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

Unless supplied by your network, they're illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I never said what I bought.. Maybe it was their legal wireless router ;)

Yeah from further investigation they do seem to be illegal over here.. I know in the UK they are legal to sell and own, but not to utilise, which is why they seem to be widely available. The law seems similar over here, but still definately not legal to utilise..

I was in contact with Vodaphone over their SureSignal VPN solutions, but was less than impressed with their attitude so decided to go elsewhere.

Still interested if anyone has ordered from the company, as Paypal etc. won't do anything until a specified amount of time has passed. If the item is illegal to sell in Ireland (I need to check on the ownership status within law), then argueably they should get involved somewhat sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Is it legal to import a mobile repeater?

If, for example, one was to hypotecically buy one on ebay from a supplier in, for example, hong kong and it was siezed by customers pending payment of VAT etc would it be released after payment?

I'm not sure on Irish law, but in the UK the law apparently prohibits the transmission over licenced spectrums only.. so it's legal to sell and own repeaters, but not legal to use them (or at least thats what the consensus on the web seems to be)..

This vendor has confirmed that they ship from the UK, so customs etc. shouldnt be applicable.. however at present I wouldn't recommend a) purchasing these items or b) dealing with this vendor..

I don't want to get this locked by discussing legal/illegal equipment as it goes without saying illegal equipment is a no no.. I just wanted to know (selfish I know :)) if anyone had dealt with them, as it feels like I am in the initial stages of a scam...

• Advertisement

Anyway just to close out this thread (I hate when people never return with the updates :))..

Mobile Repeater Shop and GSM Boosters are shocking examples of poor companies and even worse customer service.. Despite the claims, the products are not shipped from the UK, they are very poor items shipped from China. They arrive broken, and despite promises that replacements would be shipped, they never arrived. It's been 3 weeks back and forward with this company.

I raised a claim with Paypal who upheld my claim within 5 minutes of it being raised (amazed at the quick response)..

Unfortunately it looks as though I will have to make do with the official Sure Signal VoIP from Vodafone (and its small coverage area) :(

Avoid this company .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Welease wrote: »
    Anyway just to close out this thread (I hate when people never return with the updates :))..

Mobile Repeater Shop and GSM Boosters are shocking examples of poor companies and even worse customer service.. Despite the claims, the products are not shipped from the UK, they are very poor items shipped from China. They arrive broken, and despite promises that replacements would be shipped, they never arrived. It's been 3 weeks back and forward with this company.

I raised a claim with Paypal who upheld my claim within 5 minutes of it being raised (amazed at the quick response)..

Unfortunately it looks as though I will have to make do with the official Sure Signal VoIP from Vodafone (and its small coverage area) :(

Avoid this company .....

Just one quick question ... :)

Did you have any issue with the goods arriving from China and customs?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Using unlicensed GSM/3G repeaters or jammers in Ireland is completely illegal and it can interfere with legitimate licensed users i.e. the mobile operators and people's handsets.

If ComReg get a report about someone using one, and they track it down, they can and will go for prosecutions.

They've a technical enforcement team who track down radio interference issues.

Basically, unless you're a licensed mobile phone company or are using a terminal connected to one of them, you should not be broadcasting on the GSM / UMTS bands.

Customs could, in theory, seize the equipment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I have a Vodafone suresignal and it does the business for me. We're in an area with poor reception/thick walls. It cost €50 once-off I think, and it came with an extra broadband allowance which was handy as we are on the basic VF landline package.

The main gotcha is that it's a 3g signal and the blackberry I had at the time was only 2g. I was lucky enough that I could just swap it in work, but if you happen to only have a 2g phone you can't use it.

z

Just one quick question ... :)

Did you have any issue with the goods arriving from China and customs?

Cheers

Maybe... DHL guy said the delivery code meant a customs charge would apply, and that I probably would be contacted later... Unit was delivered 10 days ago heard nothing since. Vendor said they would deal with it if it happened, but I wouldnt believe a word they said now..

Part of the issue is Paypal want the item returned to process the refund.. I have to pay for tracked courier to China at my cost.. Have raised this with Paypal.. The vendor said it should be returned to them to a PO Box at a completely different address from the one on their website..

In short.. don't do what you are considering, it's really not worth the effort. :)

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    Using unlicensed GSM/3G repeaters or jammers in Ireland is completely illegal and it can interfere with legitimate licensed users i.e. the mobile operators and people's handsets.

If ComReg get a report about someone using one, and they track it down, they can and will go for prosecutions.

They've a technical enforcement team who track down radio interference issues.

Basically, unless you're a licensed mobile phone company or are using a terminal connected to one of them, you should not be broadcasting on the GSM / UMTS bands.

Customs could, in theory, seize the equipment too.

Correct.. I believe the law is similar to the UK (but havent verified) in that the technology can only be legally used if supplied by a broadcast licence owner. While not legal, I was intending to use one because I live in a remote area and the broadcast range of the unit would not go beyond my house/property, so very limited possibility to interfere with other signals.. Doesn't make it legal or correct, so I'm not going to pretend it does, but the impact or chance of issues arising are limited somewhat.

zagmund wrote: »
    I have a Vodafone suresignal and it does the business for me. We're in an area with poor reception/thick walls. It cost €50 once-off I think, and it came with an extra broadband allowance which was handy as we are on the basic VF landline package.

The main gotcha is that it's a 3g signal and the blackberry I had at the time was only 2g. I was lucky enough that I could just swap it in work, but if you happen to only have a 2g phone you can't use it.

z

Yeah thats the option I will now have to go for :( I initially was going down this route but was annoyed by Vodafone's pricing attitude.. I pay for a mobile phone signal which I don't get.. The €50 charge only applies if I swap my broadband across to Vodaphone also.. if I don't (i.e. I dont award them more custom for their lack of service on my current contract) then I have to pay €99 for a unit with very limited range (30m with no walls etc.).. There is no way a Sure Signal would or could provide adequate coverage in my house, plus it would utilise my somewhat limited 4Mb DSL line which would cause other issues..

Now I get to go crawling back to Vodafone and hand over €99 :) But I thought, I'd update the post so other folks dont end up in the same pain in the ass mess I got with Mobile Repeater Shop / GSM Boosters.

Advertisement