Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning a Hard Drive

Options
  • 03-08-2012 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions for cloning a HDD - freeware ideally please.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Norton Ghost, don't know if you can get it free though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Clonezilla is fantastic:

http://clonezilla.org/

Might seem a bit intimidating at first, but it's pretty easy to use actually - you can create a Live USB too, which will make cloning a system drive very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Acronis TI Home '12 has a 30 day trial, which may be all you need, and is a nice package.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

I second Norton Ghost or the free EaseUs Disk Copy and DriveImage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

EaseUS 3.0 is free. If you have a WD drive in your system, you can install Acronis WD edition. Both are very easy to use.

Clonezilla is powerful too but not as user friendly. I was try to get it to work last week with the most recent version and it wouldn't boot no matter how I tried. :mad:
    Older versions used to work fine, but maybe it was just the system it was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

ddrescue. Light-weight and easy to use.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Thanks for all the replies guys. This thread was started for a different reason but now I've a 128GB Samsung 830 on the way I wondered if I could ask a few slightly OT questions?

Firstly - I broke down my RAID array so I've a single 64GB SSD as my SYS drive now. The second one is being used as my E: (Entertainment e.g. Games) drive until the 128GB arrives.

When it does can I stick it in Format it as Z: copy everything across unplug E: and 'rename' Z: to E: and expect Steam and Origin just to pick it up?

On the Sabertooth Z77 there are 2 6Gb SATA Controllers an Intel and an ASmedia - should I put the SSDs on separate controllers or doesn't it really make any difference?

Also - does anyone know if the copy of Norton Ghost you get with the 830 is locked to a machine with a Samsung drive in it? I'm kind of hoping to resell it with the Corsair P64 I'll have for sale.

Thanks in advance.

Is SATA 6 GB a different cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Surprised no one mentioned Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm/

• Advertisement

When it does can I stick it in Format it as Z: copy everything across unplug E: and 'rename' Z: to E: and expect Steam and Origin just to pick it up?

You only have 128GB of games? Yeah, that should work fine. The files won't notice that they're on a different drive and registry entries won't be broken as they're still on "E".

Someone here was selling a Samsung 830 128GB after trying to do someone a favour so that kind of made be buy - I wasn't planning to. Well that and trying to use the 128GB RAID for OS, Apps and games.

The P64s only have around a 200Mbs Sec read so the plan is to use one for SYS and the 128Mb for Games. When finds permit I'll get a 256GB for games and use the 128GB for SYS. I had planned to replace the P64s eventually as not having TRIM in raid wasn't ideal.

Hmm I now have a notion of using the 128GB Samsung as a system drive and using the P64 for caching a hard drive dedicated to games - who do you think?

Caching like Intel SRT? I think SRT is best used when you don't have any other SSD - ideally when you have a smaller one that's really no longer up to scratch. You have to use the same programs for it to come into effect and TRIM isn't supported.

If I was in your position, I'd probably just use the 128GB for the OS and keep all the important stuff (i.e., that you're using regularly) on there and stick with a HDD for the other stuff.

Doesn't fit unfortunately - 128GB is the set up I have at the moment.

I was going 64GB (200Mb/Sec) drive for OS
    128GB(520MB/Sec) Drive for games

Now I'm thinking of swapping that around and using the 64GB as a cache.

Of course trying it means switching to RAID which causes a BSOD Grr!!

Right after much messing I have it set up - we'll have to see if the loading times in BF2 and Shogun become tolerable. Assuming the performance reasonable; I don't mind taking a hit in speed for the convenience and cost saving.

One of the P64s is accelerating the 500GB pipeline HD2 I have with all my games on it - leaving the Samsung 128GB (when it arrives) for my system drive. Can't wait should be uber fast! Even if it will be the third reinstall in a week!

I suppose there is something to be said for simply 'thinking' this is faster for my games. Psychosomatic computing :D

Advertisement