Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in New York 2013

Options
  • 03-08-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Righto!

So I'm already thinking about J1 in New York for 2013! I'd love to apply early! Hence my search for friends so early ;)

There is me (M) and one other guy (M) who want to go!
    It's obviously cheaper with apartment friends!

Just for any interested people who might be thinking of doing their J1!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aimers

hello!

I'm hoping to do a J1 in New York 2013 too, been looking up stuff and getting really excited already :P accom looks so expensive tho, its going to be me (f) and my friend (f) n we would want to share with others as well. Have you been on a J1 before, neither of us have but want to get everything sorted beforehand.

I'd book it now if I could, New York for the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanielMurphy94

Heyhey! Sorry for the late reply!
    No I've never done one before! I'm just a first year in col :P
    Applications don't open till late November I think..
    But I really wanna do it!
    Also accom is bad, but you do come across the occasional amazing deal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ClassicE15

I'm just after posting a thread regarding this topic. There are 4 of us intersted in going, all 2nd years in college, all male.
    Here's my thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056792024

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also accom is bad, but you do come across the occasional amazing deal! :)

If it looks too good to be true it probably is. Apartment rental fraud is quite common with people looking to take advantage of people like you. Do your research before you hand over any deposits etc.

Thanks for that!!! :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

Hi Dan,

I'm very interested in going over myself too. Will probably be going over on my own but would love (and need, for financial reasons!) to share accommodation with a few other Irish students!

I am booking mine in the next couple of days so it's definitely happening!
    Not sure where to live yet (Obviously!!!!)
    ..Anyone gone to NYC before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 niall_ucd

Hey Ive already booked and it looks like Im heading alone! Give me a pm if any one wants to share accomadation etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Hey, Im thinking of New York for J1 2013 as well. 19yo female from Meath currently planning it solo :)

Anyone up for sharing?

Any advice from others who have done the J1 in NYC regarding usual stuff- jobs/accom./tips appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

ah wish I was ye! :D next year I'll be there ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Davidromid

Well folks. Gonna be going over myself to the big NY next summer also. I have a brother over there but I'll want to try and live with other students to save money and all that jazz. Just myself (m) going at the moment nobody here in college interested in going with me atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mfturvey

Me and a few friends from donegal(all students) are 100% going to NY on J1 for 2013 summer. Ideally looking for a job on a beach but would be willing to go anywhere for the work as job is key. The prices of accommodation are quite high so would be looking for others to share a house with...be heading out end may early june at latest. If anyone is interested in sharing accommodation there plans, ideas or any recommendations PM on my FB account... http://www.facebook.com/mfturvey

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

I just booked my J1 there last Friday to get the €279 discount with USIT. I'll be heading over on May 23rd.

Add me on FB if ye're interested in heading out too. http://www.facebook.com/patrick.devaney93

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Don't any of you read??? Don't you realize how many came to NYC this/last year and went back earlier then planned due to no work? If there is no work for American students, and there isn't, why would you even THINK of coming here? Save your money and spend it in Ireland. See if you can find the articles in the Irish Voice from last summer about students arriving with no work and spending their few bob on over priced accomodations and having to change their tickets to return earlier then planned due to the fact that there was and is -no work here. I due wish ALL of you "Good Luck" in finding work for the summer- I was a student myself years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siobhain and Ciara

Hi myself (f) and another (f) Have just applied for the j1 and looking for a group of Irish to live with

• Registered Users Posts: 5 houdini91

@ Rocky Bay
    The job situation is most definitely not as bad as you make out, went over last summer on the 17th of June, which was late considering the influx of j1ers began a month before that and within a week had 3 job offers. The jobs are there if you plan on printing off a load of resumées and apply for jobs in person.

For those who plan on looking for jobs in NYC, most if not every bar/restaurant manager will look for New York experience before you even get a chance to hand them your resume, so if you don't have experience just lie about it and wing the training days! Also leave the cvs at home, get a decent resumé template.

Also anyone willing to share accommodation this summer? Heading over by myself this summer, Im female, 21 and would like to rent in either brooklyn/manhattan/astoria area?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler101

houdini91 wrote: »
    @ Rocky Bay
    The job situation is most definitely not as bad as you make out, went over last summer on the 17th of June, which was late considering the influx of j1ers began a month before that and within a week had 3 job offers. The jobs are there if you plan on printing off a load of resumées and apply for jobs in person.

For those who plan on looking for jobs in NYC, most if not every bar/restaurant manager will look for New York experience before you even get a chance to hand them your resume, so if you don't have experience just lie about it and wing the training days! Also leave the cvs at home, get a decent resumé template.

Also anyone willing to share accommodation this summer? Heading over by myself this summer, Im female, 21 and would like to rent in either brooklyn/manhattan/astoria area?

Id b interested in sharing accomodation. Im headin over the 27th of may. Headn over by myself for 3 months. Lookn into queens, maybe astoria since its close to manhatten. Im male. 24. Had a few frends that that jus came home from new york recently and were staying in astoria and realy like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SineadSc

Hey, me and some friends (2 male, 2 female, all 20) are planning to going over this summer, drop me an email if you'd be interested in sharing accommodation :) - <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Daydreamer91

Hi myself (f) and a friend (m) have booked a J1 to newyork. We are looking for shared accom if anyone is interested or knows of anywhere? Also can you recommend the places to live, get jobs etc ?

Any info is appreciated thanks :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I did my J1 in NY in 2011. Found it impossible to get accom. before I left. I was just looking for a room though, rather than a whole apartment/house, so that could have affected me. I ended up booking a hostel for the first week and spent that time house-hunting. Found my apt on Craigslist. Lots of scams so be careful. I ended up living in Alphabet City, Manhattan. A little on the pricey side, but a lovely part of the city.

As for jobs, I worked in retail. found job on Craigslist. Fairly high end so good hourly + commission. It took me four weeks to find work, after countless CVs in person to shops/cafes/restaurants, via Craiglist, random parents friend's relations who owns a bar in NY type crap, online applications for Starbucks, Borders, Macy's etc.

A word of warning about lying on your resume. I know two people who were fired from jobs for clearly not having the experience they claimed. Both in bar/restaurant work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 houdini91

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DarraghBolt

Hi guys headn over alone to NY as well end a May on my own. No Job or place ta stay yet. lookn for people ta share accom wiith. anyone interested message me. From Galway (M) 22
    https://www.facebook.com/darraghb

https://www.facebook.com/darraghb
    Im thinkn of head over to NY . ill b headn over alone. lookn for people to stay with too. (M) from Galway 22. message me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I went on both the summer j1 and the one year j1. Stayed in a nice area on the upper east side. Cost me and a mate 1600 a month between us for a studio so 800 each. We were able to get a couple more into the apartment and that got it down to around 530 each, not too bad for where we were staying, i'd recommend it to anyone. I still have an email for the apartment building if you want me to pm it to you. They rent out the apartments on a month to month basis so no long contracts.

This is the one we stayed in twice: http://www.nycityliving.com/Apartmen...number=1010010
    Its two single beds pushed together, not a double. And its more spacious than the pictures make it seem in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2 b.mcguinness3

hey I'm heading over alone aswell (m)! anyone interested in sharing in New York, not really feeling the living alone in the city vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jammydodger123

hey lads, if any of ye play GAA and are good, ye could get a summer sanction over and play with a club in New york for the summer..they usually sponsor your accomodation etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mouse91

heya myself and another lad are headin over on the 28th of may and are lookin 4 people to share accomadation with aswel.. Ave ye managed to get any 1..? wats part ye thinkin of stayin..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the angle grinder

hey lads, if any of ye play GAA and are good, ye could get a summer sanction over and play with a club in New york for the summer..they usually sponsor your accomodation etc. :)

Have you played GAA over there before? I'm not eligible for a J1 but was thinking of heading over to play a bit of football and hopefully pick up a bit of work in construction through that. Would you think that is realistic??

mouse91 wrote: »
    heya myself and another lad are headin over on the 28th of may and are lookin 4 people to share accomadation with aswel.. Ave ye managed to get any 1..? wats part ye thinkin of stayin..?

Im headn over on the 26th if ye wana get in contact about accom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Professor Xavier

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Don't any of you read??? Don't you realize how many came to NYC this/last year and went back earlier then planned due to no work? If there is no work for American students, and there isn't, why would you even THINK of coming here? Save your money and spend it in Ireland. See if you can find the articles in the Irish Voice from last summer about students arriving with no work and spending their few bob on over priced accomodations and having to change their tickets to return earlier then planned due to the fact that there was and is -no work here. I due wish ALL of you "Good Luck" in finding work for the summer- I was a student myself years ago.

I agree. If you think its hard to find work in Ireland you should try New York, its 50 times worse. I went on a J1 last summer and struggled to stay a float for the whole summer. Couldn't even afford to go out. New York has millions of illegal immigrants which makes it even harder to find work. Plus J1s are not the only summer visas issued to students, students from all over the world get them. So come summer, New York is flooded with foreign students looking for work. Best off heading to a state where unemployment is low in order to avoid a disappointing summer.

Advertisement