Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in New York 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jammydodger123

Have you played GAA over there before? I'm not eligible for a J1 but was thinking of heading over to play a bit of football and hopefully pick up a bit of work in construction through that. Would you think that is realistic??

No this is my first time going over..Il b playing ladies football over as a summer sanction..if u can't get a club over to sponsor u then I think u might need a club transfer..theres a few men's gaa clubs in new york..it's always gud to get in with a team coz they might have a few connections yano..wouldn't be unrealistic atal! :) lads are usually on look out for eachother anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Don't any of you read??? Don't you realize how many came to NYC this/last year and went back earlier then planned due to no work? If there is no work for American students, and there isn't, why would you even THINK of coming here? Save your money and spend it in Ireland. See if you can find the articles in the Irish Voice from last summer about students arriving with no work and spending their few bob on over priced accomodations and having to change their tickets to return earlier then planned due to the fact that there was and is -no work here. I due wish ALL of you "Good Luck" in finding work for the summer- I was a student myself years ago.

Having went on a J1 last year to NY, I can tell you there is work if you really look for it. I had no job going over and got one within one week. Don’t be listening to the negativity..heard it for weeks before I went and in the end they were all wrong. If you want a job you will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I went to NY for a month last summer, a few of my friends were over on J1s for the three months.

Anyways, its great craic. Go and do it. You will not be bored for one second. :D

About jobs, they're there. I was offered a job randomly in an Irish bar when I was watching Ireland v Spain in the euros ( :( ) Told him I was on holiday and not looking for work.

My friends got jobs within a couple of weeks. One in a sports store, the other in Staples.

APPLY EVERYWHERE!!! Online and in person.

It might take a few weeks, but if you're 'employable', you'll get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 houdini91

So true, there will always be jobs going if you want one badly enough... I'd recommend craigslist also, lots of jobs going up every day in all areas of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Internship USA

Being an Irish-owned organization based in Manhattan, we are in contact ourselves with a good number of Irish students who will also all be arriving here within a few weeks. Many companies will tend to say 'Only contact us once you're here'. Despite this, I'd certainly be getting the CV's and maybe even phone calls out to them now, even if you're only letting them know the date you're arriving, that all your working paperwork will be in order, and that you'd like to come meet with them a few days after that etc.

Any sort of relationships you can begin establishing with companies prior to arrival will be beneficial, so you're not starting at zero over here and in competition with other Irish J-1 s too.

(And obviously, having your accommodation all sorted out in advance will free you guys up to focus on the more important job search)

That's 'my two cents worth', as the Americans say! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement