Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child dies in fall from apartment.

• 03-08-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Another tragedy this afternoon when a 17month old baby girl fell to her death from the window of a 6th floor apartment in Phibsboro. Given the number of apartments constructed over the past 10 years in Ireland and the fact that this is not the first incident of this type, I hope local authorities will consider launching a public awareness campaign about this danger. Shockingly tragic for some family. :(http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0803/baby-fall.html

R.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Maybe an awareness campaign on minding your children?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what use would an awareness campaign on the affects of gravity be?

it was a freak accident, an awareness campaign would be a massive waste of money and would accomplish nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

It shouldn't be necessary to launch a campaign to educate people about the dangers of leaving a baby unattended by an open window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What on earth was a 17 month old baby doing sitting at an open window? That's before you add in the fact it was 6 floors up. Madness.

Awful thing to have to cope with for the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Holy moly. Im in a penthouse apartment and these stories freak me out.

Ive 2 safety locks and alarms on all my windows and doors.

Poor little girl :( such a horrific end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We don't know the facts of this case so maybe we should lay off blaming the parents already.

Aw no :( heard about the accident earlier, but the child was still being treated.

Jesus, and ye think ye have problems...poor family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

If its needed, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Could the parent recover from something like that, its unthinkable really. Lock the damn windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

cop on and stop being a dick. There are no details released so you've no ****ing idea what happened.
    Tragic accidents happen and something the parents are not to blame

We don't know the facts of this case so maybe we should lay off blaming the parents already.

agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Poor wee soul.

I've one wee girl around that age myself. Lost track of her for a sec today buying her a balloon in Woodies, lord knows how I'd feel if she was to suffer something like this.

I don't think we should be too quick to blame anyone, I'm sure the parents are devastated as it is without jumping the gun on a witch hunt.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sad to hear, also sad for the family's loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gravity has killed way more people than drugs have and yet it's still legal, Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

it was a freak accident, an awareness campaign would be a massive waste of money and would accomplish nothing
    Wasn't a freak accident
    This happens all the time
    And yet it never sinks in to people's mind
    Secondly at 17 months old why was no one watching this child
    God help the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Awful tragedy, heart goes out to everyone affected by it :(

cop on and stop being a dick. There are no details released so you've no ****ing idea what happened.
    Tragic accidents happen and something the parents are not to blame

I have some ****ing idea what happened, a child fell out of a 6th floor window and died - Whether she was left unattended for a minute, whether the parent(s) or whoever was responsible for watching her fell asleep, or whether they were dangling the child out the window Michael Jackson style, if a child that young falls out of a window then the person responsible for the care of the child is responsible for the death, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I lived in a flat when my eldest child was young... I remmeber the moment I realised the steps up to the bunk bed were exactly in line with the single glazed window, 3 floors up... It was a moment of clarity and I berated myself for a long time for not realising the potential danger.

To loose a child in this way has to be the hardest burden for any parent to bear... mistakes often happen.. being a parent does not automatically enshew you with a hold on every possible situation.. those of us who have had children know how quickly they can get out of sight, how one moment of lapse of concentration can end so bleeding badly.

The torture these parents are going through right now must be horrendous whoever is to blame, if no one is to blame or if someone is directly to blame. The poor wee soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I have some ****ing idea what happened, a child fell out of a 6th floor window and died - Whether he was left unattended for a minute, whether the parent(s) or whoever was responsible for watching him fell asleep, or whether they were dangling the child out the window Michael Jackson style, if a child that young falls out of a window then the person responsible for the care of the child is responsible for the death, in my opinion.

The 'he' in question, was a 'she'

dharma200 wrote: »
    The 'he' in question, was a 'she'

Apologies, I was more concerned with the fact it was 17 month old child than whether it was a boy or a girl

Gravity has killed way more people than drugs have and yet it's still legal, Joe.

Seriously man. A baby dies tragically and your first thought is to crack a joke?

• Advertisement

I have some ****ing idea what happened, a child fell out of a 6th floor window and died - Whether she was left unattended for a minute, whether the parent(s) or whoever was responsible for watching her fell asleep, or whether they were dangling the child out the window Michael Jackson style, if a child that young falls out of a window then the person responsible for the care of the child is responsible for the death, in my opinion.

Hold the horses Mucker.

How can you come to this conclusion without any evidence or facts whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Funny how there's so many perfect people on boards who never make a mistake or take their eye off the ball.

My thoughts are with the family of the little girl. I Sincerely hope she didn't suffer & that she rests in peace.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hold the horses Mucker.

If a child has fallen out a window and died then somebody (parents/guardian/babysitter or whoever) failed to adequately care for that child. Like I said, that failure of care could have arisen from any number of circumstances, but a child who is being properly watched and cared for doesn't fall out of a sixth floor window. Therefore, whoever was charged with caring for the child when she fell out of the window is responsible, however the accident came about, in my opinion.

Jesus Christ you're some head alright. You don't know any facts but you know exactly who's guilty. If there was a fault in the window frame...if one of the parents had a fall themselves inside the apartment...if there was a weakness in the glass... It's possible that the fault for this may lie with a minder or guardian, but you're blaming people with zero evidence and that's fundamentally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Anyone who has kids or has minded kids knows all it takes is a nano second for them to do something you weren't expecting.

My heart goes out to the parents of the child.

I know this is AH but joking about the dead child.... come on.

Hold the horses Mucker.

The fact is that a 17 month old child fell from a multistory apartment window. A child that young cannot be held responsible for its own safety can it?

Its a horrible, horrible tragedy. Unfortunately for the people minding the child, I can't see it any other way than it being their fault as a result of their negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Joe Duffy has a brother who is an alcoholic.

If a child has fallen out a window and died then somebody (parents/guardian/babysitter or whoever) failed to adequately care for that child. Like I said, that failure of care could have arisen from any number of circumstances, but a child who is being properly watched and cared for doesn't fall out of a sixth floor window. Therefore, whoever was charged with caring for the child when she fell out of the window is responsible, however the accident came about, in my opinion.

Whoa, whoa whoa Buddie.

You've kids i presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seriously man. A baby dies tragically and your first thought is to crack a joke?

It wasn't meant as a joke, it was more of a swipe at the blame-brigade that quickly show up on threads like this. Sorry if I offended anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Knex. wrote: »
    Hold the horses Mucker.

The fact is that a 17 month old child fell from a multistory apartment window. A child that young cannot be held responsible for its own safety can it?

Its a horrible, horrible tragedy. Unfortunately for the people minding the child, I can't see it any other way than it being their fault as a result of their negligence.
    And I'm sure they will spend the rest of their lives blaming themselves for the accident.
    What they don't need is a bunch of randomers on a forum saying its their fault.

Let me ask you this: if you were faced with the person responsible for minding the child would you be so blunt to tell them to their face that it's their fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so , if you have 3 kids you go to change a kids nappy and other kids are out of sight for a minute, you should have 3 sets of eyes, i have 3 kids have had a few scares and luckily we have lived to tell the tale, i offer my sympathy to the family involved not place blame on them, r.i.p. little angel

Whoa, whoa whoa Buddie.

You've kids i presume?

Yes, why?

To clarify something I probably should have said first - I have huge sympathy for the family, and as another poster pointed out, i'm sure they will blame themselves for ever.

The fact that this is a tragedy doesn't change the fact that someone failed to provide adequate care for the child. I'm not looking to kick the parents while they're going through such a horrific time, i'm just stating an opinion.

As for the point that there could have been other kids running around making noise and distracting the parents/guardians to the point where 3 sets of eyes would be needed, if 3 sets of eyes were needed then should they not have been provided? Someone has to be responsible, whether we like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Whoa, whoa whoa Buddie.

You've kids i presume?

How does that make the slightest bit of difference? :confused:

He wouldn't be entitled to an opinion, if he wasn't a parent himself?

Everyone knows the facts I suppose?
    FFS people. Cop on. There are many scenarios in which it wasn't the parents fault. What if the mother had collapsed herself?? Why does everyone feel the need to point the finger before the parents have even had a second to grieve.

And if they did make a serious error of judgement, they'll blame themselves enough without strangers doing the same.

RIP. My thoughts are with that poor little girl and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ That's so f*cked up I have no idea where to start. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a third person to help them (or even a second), not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford to hire someone to help them, not everyone can be in three f*cking places at once for Christ's sake

Cop the hell on and stop being a holier than thou jerk.

EDIT: That was directed at BarnhillBull, who was the last poster when I started typing

Let me ask you this: if you were faced with the person responsible for minding the child would you be so blunt to tell them to their face that it's their fault?

No, but thats a ridiculous notion and I imagine the last thing they are doing is on boards right now.

Also, its a discussion forum. Incidents like this are always going to lead to conversations like this. The first thing I thought upon reading the article was, "That's awful". Second was "What on earth was a 17month old baby doing up on a window ledge."

Maybe I'm being a bit rigid with the scenario in my head, someone mentioned there could of been a fault with the window for example, and admittedly, I had not thought of that. Or maybe it's a full length window and not at a height, though I'd doubt it. So yes, I probably am wrong for all but assuming its the fault of the parents, but I cannot help but think so.

I'm not coming in here getting any satisfaction out of playing the blame game, its a horribly tragic situation.

Yes, why?

Could you stand in all honestly in front of your maker, and say you've never, not even for a sec (that's all it takes) taken your eye of your kids/kid for one sec?

We don't yet know any facts, did the parent faint? Collapse? Take some kind of seizure?
    This window? I can't see on the report what height it was, if it was open?

Like i say, we don't know the facts yet.

Regardless of what any insinuations are, a poor wee girl tumbled to her death, as yet we don't know how.

This thread is not a thread for thanks whoring (IMO)

This is a thread that highlights how precious your children truly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Wasn't a freak accident
    This happens all the time
    And yet it never sinks in to people's mind
    Secondly at 17 months old why was no one watching this child
    God help the family

Are you joking ? Gona presume that you have no kids because if you did you would realise that a couple of seconds loss of concentration is all it takes for a child that young to have an accident.

I've a 20 month old boy and he fell down the stairs on my watch when he was 16months old . I'm not a bad parent because of this.

Some silly comments made on this story.

Thoughts with the family, thoughts with the poor kid, R.I.P.

What if the mother had collapsed herself??

If this, or something similar proves to be true then I will unreservedly apologise.

As Knex mentioned, this is a discussion forum, my opinion on this issue differs from the majority, some of whom have decided that throwing insults is the best way to refute what i've said.

Maybe i'm a cynic, or a "holier than thou jerk", but I would be very surprised if it doesn't come out that this happened as a result of negligence on someone's part. If not then i've said i'll admit i'm wrong and apologise. I won't bother with this thread until more facts are known.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What if the mother had collapsed herself??

If this, or something similar proves to be true then I will unreservedly apologise.

As Knex mentioned, this is a discussion forum, my opinion on this issue differs from the majority, some of whom have decided that throwing insults is the best way to refute what i've said.

Maybe i'm a cynic, or a "holier than thou jerk", but I would be very surprised if it doesn't come out that this happened as a result of negligence on someone's part. If not then i've said i'll admit i'm wrong and apologise. I won't bother with this thread until more facts are known.

RIP.

God almighty barnhallbull !! Wow , how about you show some compassion.
    What your effectively saying is that if someone is negligencent then you will be happy as you will be proved right.
    So effing what if one or both of the parents were negligent for a split second and this tragic accident happened. Do you believe someone will face the courts because of this? Cop on man, please and fcuking pray this accident never crosses your door.
    My thoughts are with the parents, so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

What a horrific thing to happen, poor little thing :( I would say the parents are just inconsolable at the moment. Some of the comments on here are just sickening. Anybody with children knows that all you need to do is blink and they get up to mischief, or they do themselves an injury of some sort. If you have more than one child, how many sets of eyes are you supposed to have?? Freak accidents happen a lot, in varying degrees of seriousness. Calling this little girls parents bad parents without knowing everything about what happened is disgraceful. Can you even begin to imagine what is going through the little girls parents minds? RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Yep. Young kids have to be watched constantly and can get up to things VERY quickly if they're not. Anyone's concentration can slip for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember a long time back seeing something about a child that fell from a serious height onto concrete and survived (It may have been on 999). I think the explanation involved the difference in bone structure absorbing the impact.

Either way, when I heard that a baby had been critically injured (as it was reported on tv) falling six storeys I thought of the above. Just assumed that critically injured in this case would mean a recovery. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Duiske wrote: »
    I hope local authorities will consider launching a public awareness campaign about this danger. [/URL]

Do we need the State to get involved in everything?

It's not a solution OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My thoughts go out to that poor little baby and her family. Can't imagine anything worse than losing a child.

When we moved into our house, we begged the council to put locks on the upstairs windows to no avail, so ended up fitting them ourselves. Little kiddies can so easily find their way through anything. During the warm summer months, it's natural to air the rooms and leave windows open, so we had no choice but to fit locks to the windows so they'd only open so far, otherwise the kids could easily climb on their beds or furniture and topple out.

Not everyone has those type of windows, though, so I can see how accidents like this could so easily happen. It's impossible to keep an eye on young children all the time, hence why so many of them have accidents. Finger wagging at a time like this is pretty heartless, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I was visiting a relative yesterday evening in the mater private hospital and I heard lots of sirens. I looked out the window and saw a squad car, an ambulance, and a special branch car flying by.

I made a comment that it must be something serious. Then I heard the tragic news and can only now assume that this beautiful girl was in the ambulance.

Tragic, tragic story. Very upsetting. My thoughts are with her family and may she rest in piece.

For those that are cracking jokes, I know this is AH, but have some decency and show some respect.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Can't believe there's people making wise cracks. The parents or family could be boards posters FFS. There's nothing anyone can say that they won't be feeling (times 10,000) at the moment. And yet people don't have the cop on to realise this and insist on getting their pathetic little two cents in.

There's some stupid cnuts on here. Really is. It's a horrible story and everything that needs to be said is there in plain view for anyone with a ****ing brain cell. And, no, don't reply thinking you having to 'defend your comments' is appriopriate. Just shut up. It's obviously a tragic accident and any parent's worst nightmare. Can't imagine what they're going through right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do we need the State to get involved in everything?

It's not a solution OP

It would do no harm and seeing as the state waste so much on so little then this could be justified.

Or perhaps money is better spent in RTE for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

• Advertisement
Advertisement