Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horetown cemetry.

Options
  • 03-08-2012 9:14pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Under info I got on Loftus hall, it was said a Canon Broaders performed an exorcism on the hall and that he was buried in Horetown cemetry with a epitaph about the hall happenings.Any guidance as to where the grave stone is ?Looked in St James' COI yesterday but couldn't see it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Best leave that man alone ........CB done a decent job at the time , but he did'nt fix the problem completely .

Do'nt have a clue where he is buried .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tell me more!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Under info I got on Loftus hall, it was said a Canon Broaders performed an exorcism on the hall and that he was buried in Horetown cemetry with a epitaph about the hall happenings.Any guidance as to where the grave stone is ?Looked in St James' COI yesterday but couldn't see it.

I knew I saw a picture or directions to it lately. If you are on facebook, like the Loftus Hall page, someone there put up a picture of the grave and directions to the cemetery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Great ta, off for a rootle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Tell me more!!

here ... Read this , - its a quote from a local rag :
    During the 18th century, Charles Tottenham came to live in Loftus Hall and this is how the legend of Loftus Hall came to originate. According to legend a stranger who was looking for accommodation on a stormy night was invited in by the Tottenham's to play cards. During the card game a lady bent over to retrieve a fallen card and was shocked to discover a cloven foot. It is said that the stranger vanished through the ceiling in a puff of smoke.

Loftus Hall was then exorcised by Father Thomas Broaders whose powers worked. He later became Parish Priest of the parishes of the Hook and Ramsgrange for almost 50 years. The building in which the legend is associated was leveled to the ground in 1870 and the present day mansion was erected. The mansion was successfully run as a country hotel by the Devereux family until the late 1980s.

Since the Quigley's acquired Loftus Hall Aidan admits that plenty of activity - explainable and unexplainable - is still occurring at Loftus Hall.

' There are certain rooms you cannot keep light bulbs in, certain places where electrical items just won't work and there's part of the ceiling where we can't patch a hole,' he said.

• Advertisement

No luck on finding that picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No luck on finding that picture.

not sure if this works, but this is the link for it anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=418904141494162&set=o.245866695524775&type=3&theater

click on the pictures on the loftus hall page and it should be the 5th one there.

Excellent,thanks, so it was St. James after all. Will look again next time I'm down.

Advertisement