Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in Dublin: Why so many Sea Gulls in Ranelagh ??

Options
  • 03-08-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ... moved to ranelagh four months ago and cannot grasp why there are so many sea gulls flying around here and making loud noise - especially at night !

Anyone know anything about it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ranelagh is fairly close to the sea. the canal could have something to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Funny you say that OP, Every Morning for the last month or so at about 04.30/5ish there is some amount of noise from seagulls/ducks flying over the house,I live in Ballyfermot between the liffey and canal,What the hell is going on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

There's a big colony in Raheny now too, I think they are living on top of the old Smurfit factory. Do we need a cull of seagulls in Dublin or are they good at cleaning up rubbish about the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Inbox wrote: »
    There's a big colony in Raheny now too, I think they are living on top of the old Smurfit factory. Do we need a cull of seagulls in Dublin or are they good at cleaning up rubbish about the place?

a seacull?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It could be a seasonal thing but a month ago I spent several days in and around Stephens green ... the sea gulls seem to have driven out the ducks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Piliger wrote: »
    It could be a seasonal thing but a month ago I spent several days in and around Stephens green ... the sea gulls seem to have driven out the ducks :(

Wouldn't be surprised, they're getting that big and fat from peoples leftovers that they'd be mistaken for American Bald Eagles!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I've noticed there's always a lot in Northbrook Park , Ranelagh.....by the duck pond. They completely dominate the other birds for any scraps to be had. Makes it a pain to sit on the benches there and read the paper with all the squawking and swarming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm in Rathmines and the noise of those gulls at night is unbelievable! Stranger though was last summer when I was on Brighton Road in Rathgar. Quite a bit further from the canal but the noise was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Not really Dublin City, but I'm driven daft with them in Lucan from about 5am. This is the first year I've noticed them.

Advertisement