Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone started christmas shopping ?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 9:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

has anyone started christmas shopping yet. my mam has what are you getting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

Yes :) I started today, just 1 present but its a start ha ha
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I have. I like to take advantage of the sales at the moment or at least that is the excuse I use. Spent the whole of this week in toy shops getting the Batman / Spiderman toys that will be difficult to get around the Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I haven't but then I have two people to buy for - the mammy and the best mate. The best mate won't tell me anything he wants till close to Christmas (cos he tends to buy ALL THE THINGS himself before then). Then the mammy, I don't think we are doing too much present buying for each other this year, cos of our trip to Paris just before Christmas. If I spot something I think I have to buy for her I'll prolly pick it up, and obvs I shall look for some things in Paris for her, but the trip itself is like our big present to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

No, but I really should. It's going to be a tight one this year! :( Doesn't smiths have a savings card thing? I'll have to keep an eye out for Argos sales on toys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Havent started but have started thinking about it. Have picked out a few things on amazon and have them on a wish list.

If you have kids to buy for keep an eye on aldi and lidl. They wont have the big stuff from Santa but they will have nice stocking fillers. Tomorrow for example lidl have lego like building blocks and dollhouse furniture. They often have dinky cars, remote controlled helicopters and disney books games etc.

And it isnt just presents. A bottle of coke this week or a box of sweets next week can all add up over the next few months. For the christmas dinner you could now start to look at frozen stuff you might be using.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm waiting until September this year. First couple of weeks- planning. Third week- shopping (and making my Christmas pudding) and last week of Sep/first week of Oct- wrapping.
    I have found the later I wrap, the better paper is available. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I'm waiting until September this year. First couple of weeks- planning. Third week- shopping (and making my Christmas pudding) and last week of Sep/first week of Oct- wrapping.
    I haven't seen many places that have wrapping paper just before Halloween, where do you buy it from Posy? I really do need to stay ahead of the game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Have half the Christmas shopping done,i buy through the year it can be amazing how you can get something different for someone when there is no pressure, I hate buying gifts at the last minute i always end up buying something the person will never like. Also it help to spread the coast.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Have half the Christmas shopping done,i buy through the year it can be amazing how you can get something different for someone when there is no pressure, I hate buying gifts at the last minute i always end up buying something the person will never like. Also it help to spread the coast.
    Would you mostly buy on line? I wish I was a better planner! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Posy wrote: »
    Zoria wrote: »
    I haven't seen many places that have wrapping paper just before Halloween, where do you buy it from Posy? I really do need to stay ahead of the game this year.

I have my wrapping paper bought since last year. And two years puddings in the cupboard still - the alco smell when you open it *swoon*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Would you mostly buy on line? I wish I was a better planner! :o
    No i have never bought on line would not know how i don't even have a credit card:o,i wouldn't say that i am well planed,i just find it easier to spread the shopping across the year,I am usually lucky when it comes to shopping for x-mass prizzies,for example a year ago when i was in Poland marrying my wife i managed to find two x-mass gifts :) only the other day i was in a shop going through a box of DVDs and found a DVD to ad to my brothers Christmas box

hdowney wrote: »
    I have my wrapping paper bought since last year. And two years puddings in the cupboard still - the alco smell when you open it *swoon*
    I'm so silly. Every year I buy way to much wrapping paper and end up throwing it out because it's in the way. By in the way, I mean to bloody lazy to go store it in the attic or somewhere till the next year :rolleyes:
    ZX7R wrote: »
    No i have never bought on line would not know how i don't even have a credit card:o,i wouldn't say that i am well planed,i just find it easier to spread the shopping across the year,I am usually lucky when it comes to shopping for x-mass prizzies,for example a year ago when i was in Poland marrying my wife i managed to find two x-mass gifts :) only the other day i was in a shop going through a box of DVDs and found a DVD to ad to my brothers Christmas box
    You're a savvy shopper ZX, I'll have to take a leaf out of your book :)

Some of the Christmas shops, like Brown Thomas or Clearys have paper.
    Argos and Penneys also have wrapping paper from about September.
    I often buy paper in Easons or Hallmark too. I got glittery red paper and red/green striped paper in Hallmark before- it wasn't specific Christmas paper but it was actually really festive looking!
    Also, like H said, I have a good bit of last years paper too in the attic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I'm so stoked!! :D

My youngest sister made a terrible mistake when my mothers house was being renovated a few years ago and turfed out all but a few of her old toys :(
    I was shocked & stunned at the time and told her she would regret it but she ploughed ahead.
    Then Toy Story 3 happened and as I predicted.....tears & regret over it. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, one toy didn't even make it as far as the cull and she has been on and on about it for years and guess what?? I just got one of them on E-Bay at the second attempt! Now I know I'm counting my chickens a bit but fingers crossed!! Unfortunately it's not in the best nick but she did say she'd just love to have one to look at. I can't wait to see her face - even if I don't get her in the KK I'm going to call up to hers on Christmas Morning with it! Eeeep!

Aw, that's lovely- and so thoughtful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Got most of my gifts on my Amazon wishlist so all I need to do is get the funds together and slap the cash onto my O2 Moneycard. Bish bash bosh, that's the shopping done. I usually have all my shopping done by late October at the latest which gives me time to go and buy myself all the presents that *I* want. :D
    Treating myself to a new tattoo this year so I need to get funds in order.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Got most of my gifts on my Amazon wishlist so all I need to do is get the funds together and slap the cash onto my O2 Moneycard. Bish bash bosh, that's the shopping done. I usually have all my shopping done by late October at the latest which gives me time to go and buy myself all the presents that *I* want. :D
    Treating myself to a new tattoo this year so I need to get funds in order.
    I haven't used one of those money cards for a long time, but I found them annoying to use. I think I was only allowed to put on a certain amount on it as well, is it same for the O2 cards? I know BOI and AIB don't do it, but my bank does, the PTSB have a visa debit card which is an absolute life saver :) I must get onto Amazon actually, good thinking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I kind of like to leave my Christmas shopping to around Christmas time. I just love shopping when it's cold out, Christmas lights and all festive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

irishbarb wrote: »
    I kind of like to leave my Christmas shopping to around Christmas time. I just love shopping when it's cold out, Christmas lights and all festive :)

I have most of my gifts in but I will still be shopping at Christmas. I love it. Especially Christmas eve. I normally leave some small things to buy and head in around lunch-time just to soak up the atmosphere.

i store alot of stuff on amazon basket save for later to buy aka to see if its gone down in price alof games just waiting on wii u to buy

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote: »
    I have most of my gifts in but I will still be shopping at Christmas. I love it. Especially Christmas eve. I normally leave some small things to buy and head in around lunch-time just to soak up the atmosphere.
    My aunt and my cousin does the same thing each year. They shop throughout the year, leave the final (minor) touches until around christmas and christmas eve. They venture out into town and wander up Grafton street on Christmas even for hot chocolates and just soak up the atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I started last week, I bought two pressies. I find TK Maxx great for nick nacks. They had fab offers on nail varnish last week so I pick up stuff from now on & by Oct I have all but my OH pressies so then I've extra cash to spend on him.

I love not being under pressure to pick up presents, I like to be able to wander round until I see the right pressie for each person

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

I'm well on the way now :D
    Have started picking up the kids stocking fillers too....thing is wen I mention to ppl that iv started Christmas already, instead of getting a shocked are you a freak look (which I wudv got last yr starting this early) ppl tell me theyv been picking up bits during the sales too :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I really not regret buying gifts throughout the year, for example, Sam McAuley had Elizabeth Arden face creams for 60% a few weeks ago, would have been perfect for my mum, and of course, you won't get any bargains like that coming up to Christmas. I am a bit of a procrastinator and always use the excuse that I have no money, but it's not like i'll have money at Christmas time either!

I am determined to keep costs low this year as I alway go ott, so I am going to start thinking of what to get my husband now and keep and eye out. I would love to get something that really means something rather than just throwing money at it.

Think I will take that tip on board about Aldi/Lidl for kids presents, I only buy for my 3 neices, and they are only 4,3 and 2 so they don't have any concept of how much you spend on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yes love Christmas I've 6gifts already!!!!! All bought from adverts may I add!!! N

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have a list of who I need to buy for in my wallet. I pick things up as I see them. 8 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Thophder

Towards the end of the year will be my first time doing some Christmas shopping for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MMUldoon5

I did all my my 2012 Christmas shopping in the sales last January. Great bargains. However not recommended as I can't recall where I hid smaller items. Hopefully they'll turn up over the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I've seen wrapping paper I really like in M&S so I'm probably going to buy that soon!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I already made my list out and im pricing things before the big christmas price hike..

Advertisement