Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons for a mod

Options
  • 03-08-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

After waiting two weeks for my FO officer to come back from holidays I eventually got my application in for a transfer from a 243 to another 243 with a mod like the original one had - after waiting 12 more days And hearing nothing back I rang the FO officer who said he would check it out for me - he rang me back today saying that application had come back to him requesting further info why I would need a mod even though it was on the original firearm .

Is this me or is this unreasonable?

Also can ye give reasons that ye had down on your own application

One of my permissions is near a house so I was thinking that would be one good one, also another permission has horses in field opposite ? Any more would be great ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

ROSSKI wrote: »
    After waiting two weeks for my FO officer to come back from holidays I eventually got my application in for a transfer from a 243 to another 243 with a mod like the original one had - after waiting 12 more days And hearing nothing back I rang the FO officer who said he would check it out for me - he rang me back today saying that application had come back to him requesting further info why I would need a mod even though it was on the original firearm .

Its definitly unreasonable but its the guards they can do wat they feckin like and there isn't a whole lot we can do about it:rolleyes: Just go along with it, i really doubt that they would refuse you the mod considering that you already had one.
    Yeah noise pollution is a definite one to put down, scaring animals as you have already said. You can argue that a 243 is a very loud round and exposure could easily result in hearing problems for you and those shooting with you. Ear protectors arent practical in the field while hunting. Thats all i can think of at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

One of my permissions is near a house so I was thinking that would be one good one, also another permission has horses in field opposite ? Any more would be great ?

Its not unreasonable at all for them to ask why you want it, after all you do need a reason to have it.

write a letter saying..

That there are horses near by and the farmer would prefer you use a mod to prevent scaring the horses and causing them to bolt or a miscarriage if pregnant.

If you will be using it for lamping say you want it to reduce noise pollution near houses.

If you lamp foxes near sheep say that you want it to shoot foxes near sheep during lambing season and the moderator will reduce the chance of the sheep having a miscarriage.

To protect your own hearing because using hearing protection isn't always a safe option if you have to communicate with others around you..

All the above are common reasons for using a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

garv123 wrote: »

Its not unreasonable at all for them to ask why you want it, after all you do need a reason to have it.

write a letter saying..

That there are horses near by and the farmer would prefer you use a mod to prevent scaring the horses and causing them to bolt or a miscarriage if pregnant.

If you will be using it for lamping say you want it to reduce noise pollution near houses.

If you lamp foxes near sheep say that you want it to shoot foxes near sheep during lambing season and the moderator will reduce the chance of the sheep having a miscarriage.

To protect your own hearing because using hearing protection isn't always a safe option if you have to communicate with others around you..

Myself and a mate applied for our .243 licencse at same time in same station! I got mod, he didn't! Thing was we submitted alsmost identical letters to justify it! They came back to him and asked him to get a letter from his doctor saying that the noise would damage his hearing! So 50 quid to the doctor for the letter and that went in, and they still refused him the mod! The bastards made him go and get the letter costing 50 quid and then refused him anyway!!

With regards ear defenders, I actually think from a personal protection perspective health and safety law says that ear defenders should I my be the last resort, and that the first step should always be to reduce the noise at source! If you were going the route of ear protection I would say that, but look up the actual h@s statement to quote it!

Protection of local herd animals etc is a far better reason I think though! I think I have a copy of my justification letter saved if you pm me I will forward it to you!

Regards
    Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

wexfordman wrote: »
    garv123 wrote: »

write a letter saying..

Myself and a mate applied for our .243 licencse at same time in same station! I got mod, he didn't! Thing was we submitted alsmost identical letters to justify it! They came back to him and asked him to get a letter from his doctor saying that the noise would damage his hearing! So 50 quid to the doctor for the letter and that went in, and they still refused him the mod! The bastards made him go and get the letter costing 50 quid and then refused him anyway!!

With regards ear defenders, I actually think from a personal protection perspective health and safety law says that ear defenders should I my be the last resort, and that the first step should always be to reduce the noise at source! If you were going the route of ear protection I would say that, but look up the actual h@s statement to quote it!

Protection of local herd animals etc is a far better reason I think though! I think I have a copy of my justification letter saved if you pm me I will forward it to you!

Regards
    Eamon

thanks for the replies

'Its not unreasonable at all for them to ask why you want it, after all you do need a reason to have it.'

I know it's not unreasonable for them to ask for a letter but the timeframe and seeing that I had one on the firearm I thought it would be straightforward . It's 27 days allready since I dropped in the application and still haven't got the licence for which Should be a simple substitution.

Anyway rant over - thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

My last licence app took 4 months :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

I put on mine I needed it for vermin control around a farm I shoot where there is milking cows and it would put them off milking and on my lands so as not to scare the hens off laying(I keep the hens for a hobby and sell the eggs)...

Regarding ear defenders I would not use them for the simple reason anyone shooting with me we wouldn hear each other without shouting obviously scaring what ever is around and not hearing our commands for stop/my shot/comming in etc...

I don't see why a mod is a big deal surely if you have satisfied the gards of a reason and shown you are responsible for a firearm it should be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

Have good search through the boards here, possibly clivej has a very good letter outlining reasons.

Reduced recoil, allowing to reload faster was one reason I gave. And being able to view the animal during the shot allowed to judge where shot had been placed.

Along with livestock in surrounding fields.

I mentioned ear protection but had it down the list for the reason to come back get ear defenders.

I think I mentioned the gun being more accurate with a mod also.

It was couple of years back in Laois, very sound Gard at time sorted things very quick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads, without being a killjoy, under the firearms act a moderator is a firearm in it's own right, and needs the "good reason" as much as the gun. Most of this has been outlined above.

However, and as said not being a killjoy or spoilsport, but the reason for having one should be valid and your own. If you cannot think of a reason for having one, and need to turn to others or what reasons they gave then ask yourself do you really need it?

If you only have one reason for having it then put it down, and if genuine/valid you'll get it.

Putting or using the reasons someone else has will only "trip" you up in the long run.

Just saying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

True,
    But when lads get refused one on the basis; get ear defenders and jog on, an extra few reasons are required.

In my opinion it is nonsense that anybody that is trusted with a firearm needs reasons for a mod, i think it should be an automatic with any hunting rifle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From your lips to God's ear.

Fact is, it is needed, and discussing ways to "get around it" might not be the best idea.

As said, it's only my opinion. Each to their own.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Ezridax wrote: »
    Lads, without being a killjoy, under the firearms act a moderator is a firearm in it's own right, and needs the "good reason" as much as the gun. Most of this has been outlined above.

However, and as said not being a killjoy or spoilsport, but the reason for having one should be valid and your own. If you cannot think of a reason for having one, and need to turn to others or what reasons they gave then ask yourself do you really need it?

If you only have one reason for having it then put it down, and if genuine/valid you'll get it.

Putting or using the reasons someone else has will only "trip" you up in the long run.

Just saying.

Agree 100% but prob in this country is there is so little consistency and logic to licensing that anyone applying has to cover every reason possible and even word it in the right way/best possible way!

To tell your local super you need a moderator to stop worrying local herd animals may sound reasonable to him or may not, depending entirely on the supers mindset! That's why a multitude of reasons is prob needed because you have to give yourself the best chance!

Again I was told by my local fo that if I out down ear protection it would be refused, but a mate was actually requested by the same super to provide a letter from his doctor that it would damage his hearing! (and he got refused even then)

Again, no consistency and no logic on the licensing side of it makes it very difficult for those that have a genuine reason for requiring a mod to simply apply in a straight forward manner!

Advertisement