Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off in RC cars

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

A bit of a long introduction but sometimes a bit of info can help with an answer. I'm toying with the idea of getting an RC buggy at the moment, haven't driven one in about 25 years!:eek: There's so much to take in and at the moment I'm just trying to get to know...what I don't know - if that makes sense! Anyway, I'd like to get something that when I'm done with just messing about with I can race it if possible. Therefore whatever I end up with would need to be to the correct specification for a racing class. I don't want something too large and looking at the dimensions I've found on-line I think 1/10 scale would suit me.

I want a buggy, as an off roader can be driven anywhere. I intend just to play about at first in empty carparks, forest carparks, green areas, etc. I'm not adverse to a bit of spannering and am trying to decide between electric and nitro power. I'm going to try to get to a model shop in Dublin tomorrow if possible to ask a few questions but I'd like any advice from people here if they can give it as someone trying to sell you something may just tell you what you want to hear.

My main question I'd like to ask is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" one I'm afraid.....

What kind of run times can I expect with both a 2WD and 4WD electric buggy, brushless motor and Li-Po batteries? (Say for a bit of offroad & carpark bashing.)

If a racing class requires a particular capacity/mAh battery for racing, how long would this spec battery last for the above? Can a much bigger mAh rated battery be fitted for messing about with to give a longer run time? Typically, would it fit in the car?

It's hard to get a decent answer trawling on-line, 10 minutes is what I've found to be typical but some info is old and things move reasonably swifty with modern electronics and battery technology. Again, a "how long is a piece of string question" so hard to answer I know.

I'd like to get some rough approximation/guestimate as I would like to get a reasonable amount of time to use the car, especially if travelling to a location and I'd like to see how many battery sets I'd need to buy to last say an hour or more. This is where I like the idea of just refilling the tank on a nitro car - but then again you have the extra mess and hassle associated with that.

I'm not against nitro either, I'm fairly mechanically minded and while I like the smell of 2 stroke and the noise they make, the noise is a attention grabber too unfortunately.

So if anyone could offer any help I'd really appreciate it - regarding run times, suggest a particular make of model, a suitable racing class, anything really.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement