Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to catch Crabs (the crustacean type at the harbour)

Options
  • 04-08-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

I know, I know.

But I wanna catch some crabs to eat ! Do they leg it out to sea to get bigger or WTF?

I wanna catch some by the harbour wall.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Odd Q but i'll entertain you. Chicken wings on a string, reusable too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

vicwatson wrote: »
    I know, I know.

But I wanna catch some crabs to eat ! Do they leg it out to sea to get bigger or WTF?

I wanna catch some by the harbour wall.
    Any meat really but as a kid i used a weight,fishing line,a small hook and the fleshy bit of a limpit,ya might need a spade for the limpet
    As they can be quite hard to pull off rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Bullock Harbour, with a crab pot. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

well mate I left my lobster pot out yesterday and pulled in 30 odd crabs all decent size, get yourself a pot! plus you can get lobster... or get a shoping basket with a long rope, weight it, bait it, chuck out, leave it, retrieve it and youll have crabs.. or simple as a rope, piece of chicken, rashers, fish whatever and just pull them up from the rocks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

skinny90 wrote: »
    fleshy bit of a limpit,ya might need a spade for the limpet
    As they can be quite hard to pull off rocks
    Thats how I done it as a kid, I got the limpets off with a knife or rock. If you don't get it the first time they tighten up & your best off going to the next one.

@vic, beside rocks & seaweed is where they usually are. You could also use your hands at low tide, they will be hiding under lumps of seaweed.

I was probably 10 years old when I last done this so my info could be a little bit rusty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I used to used the bags for puttin washing tablets into
    I used to fill them with limpets drop em down with a bit of twine on te bag and leave it for 3 mins and pull up
    Caught spider crabs and all on em

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

well mate I left my lobster pot out yesterday and pulled in 30 odd crabs all decent size, get yourself a pot! plus you can get lobster... or get a shoping basket with a long rope, weight it, bait it, chuck out, leave it, retrieve it and youll have crabs.. or simple as a rope, piece of chicken, rashers, fish whatever and just pull them up from the rocks..

And where pray tell might I get a Lobster pot. Cheers, how long to leave for?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

vicwatson wrote: »
    And where pray tell might I get a Lobster pot. Cheers, how long to leave for?

Two seconds on the computer and I got this:

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/LOBSTER%20POT?source=all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

limpits

make a small hole in the top of their shell, use something sharp to pierce a piece of string through the hole, tie a knot, and away you go

Advertisement