Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herald Says "best fans in the world" a myth * Mod Note #53 *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm just not comprehending this..I don't mean to drag this point out, but it is probably #1 teeth grinder that my "LOI" mates level at me, they are better fans because they go to their clubs stadiums regularly, where as I don't.

Just to try hammer my point home.

To attend 4 home MUFC games a month.
    Flying out in morning and home same day - €140
    4 times = €560
    Tickets at roughly €50? x4 = €200

€760 per month.

About €15 for a LOI game? €60 a month for 4 games?

€760 vs €60.

My point isn't directly labelled at finances, but the people who can actually afford to travel internationally to Old Trafford every weekend, are the exact people that get labelled as the "Prawn Sandwich brigade", no?

While you disagree that I shouldn't categorise myself with the hardcore, I personally don't believe that there are "categories".

Of course there are the absolute hardcore to which I would perhaps put in a higher category.

But by your logic, a bloke from Manchester who travels to watch LOI every week is a better fan then pretty much all of you, because he is paying to travel abroad to watch his team every week, enduring the financial hit from it, and on top of that downgrading the level of football and facilities on show...or are you saying its equal, because both parties attend the stadiums?

There is so many variables and constants that simply, for alot of people, rule out the ability to see their team regularly, but it doesn't and should not dampen or degrade that persons opinion or level of support for their club.

It must cost money to get to LOI games as well, probaly 100 quid a month, 10 pints and chips 50 euro, only 18 quid in liverpool, you can get flights in and out for around 80 if you look around. It is a lot more expensive but not the huge difference you posted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ok, I'm out of this debate then.

If we're going to resort to grandoise claims like trying to say our defintions are supported by hundreds of years of global support, there's no point continuing the discussion. I'll keep my defintion, you keep yours and we'll agree to disagree without engaging in any more hyperbole.
    Well the point I was trying to make was how and when did something so definite turn into something so loose, but sure if you're out, you're out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

niallo27 wrote: »
    It must cost money to get to LOI games as well, probaly 100 quid a month, 10 pints and chips 50 euro, only 18 quid in liverpool, you can get flights in and out for around 80 if you look around. It is a lot more expensive but not the huge difference you posted there.

What :confused:

"get to" games costs a hundred quid a month? Doubt it.

1.85 Bus fare to Tolka Park, there and back, say twice a month

Bus to away game (Bray, Pats, Rovers, Bohs, UCD all accessible by Dublin Bus so 2.15 each way, again say once a month)

Whatever further aways, Cork, Derry, Drogheda, Sligo, Dundalk

Usually about 20 quid return on the club bus

That's assuming one Dublin and one non-dublin away per month, seems reasonable as there are 5 Dublin and 5 non-Dublin teams for me to travel to

Travel and entry to games = (4*15 + 20 + 4.3 + 7.4) 92 a month, for four games

To get flights to England four times a month, by your reckoning would cost 320, tickets are what, 25 quid? another 100, then your pints and food for a whole day, each time.

It costs a hell of a lot more to go to as many EPL games as LoI games.

Des wrote: »

Bus to away game (Bray, Pats, Rovers, Bohs, UCD all accessible by Dublin Bus so 2.15 each way, again say once a month)

That's assuming one Dublin and one non-dublin away per month, seems reasonable as there are 5 Dublin and 5 non-Dublin teams for me to travel to

To get flights to England four times a month, by your reckoning would cost 320, tickets are what, 25 quid? another 100, then your pints and food for a whole day, each time.

Tickets are closer to 50 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CSF wrote: »
    Tickets are closer to 50 euro

Are they?

I thought 25 was a decent estimate no?

Probably push that average closer to 35 if we are including aways, as the "big clubs" are charged more for the away tickets.

I wouldn't imagine many of the die-hards on here would want to be sitting in with the home fans.

• Advertisement

Are they?

I thought 25 was a decent estimate no?

Probably push that average closer to 35 if we are including aways, as the "big clubs" are charged more for the away tickets.

I wouldn't imagine many of the die-hards on here would want to be sitting in with the home fans.
    Yeah I've been to both Old Trafford and Anfield over the last year and they were both closer to that. Even the Stoke's of the world cost that much for their Category A games.

That all very well if you live in Dublin you can get the bus but there are no LOI of Ireland clubs around most of us, i much prefer to be Travelling to liverpool to see my football than Dublin or cork.

There is a reason why premier league games are more expensive than LOI games, LOI football is muck.

That all very well if you live in Dublin you can get the bus but there are no LOI of Ireland clubs around most of us, i much prefer to be Travelling to liverpool to see my football than Dublin or cork.
    Are there many places in Ireland, that do not have LOI football, where there are airports/ports that connect to Liverpool?

There is a reason why premier league games are more expensive than LOI games, LOI football is muck.
    Then why are Bundesliga games so cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Then why are Bundesliga games so cheap?

Because bundesliga is muck obviously, if it isn't a top 5 club in England or Madrid, Barcelona or Liverpool it's not worth watching. Real football fans obv.

Are there many places in Ireland, that do not have LOI football, where there are airports/ports that connect to Liverpool?

I don't get what you mean by that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So there.

1814541570_dc952ec3ed.jpg

bohsman wrote: »
    Because bundesliga is muck obviously, if it isn't a top 5 club in England or Madrid, Barcelona or Liverpool it's not worth watching. Real football fans obv.

Well maybe it's because the Germans don't screw their sports fans, look at the prices of gaa and rugby in this country, we screw our sports fans if there is any demand of if the quality is good.

I don't get what you mean by that man.
    I don't know where you live obviously, but are there places you can get to Liverpool from, that don't have LOI clubs there? Its not as if one can just get the bus from Roscommon to Liverpool.

Well maybe it's because the Germans don't screw their sports fans, look at the prices of gaa and rugby in this country, we screw our sports fans if there is any demand of if the quality is good.

And England don't'?

That said, you're probably hardly affected by that anyway.

I don't know where you live obviously, but are there places you can get to Liverpool from, that don't have LOI clubs there? Its not as if one can just get the bus from Roscommon to Liverpool.

I'm from Clare, ten mins from Shannon airport, the Missus is from cork so I usually fly out of Shannon in morning and back into cork that evening. It works out handy for me, if I was born in Dublin I probably be supporting a LOI club I would say.

stovelid wrote: »
    And England don't'?

That said, you're probably hardly affected by that anyway.

I didn't say they didn't, I'm just my reasons why I think LOI football is so cheap.

I'm from Clare, ten mins from Shannon airport, the Missus is from cork so I usually fly out of Shannon in morning and back into cork that evening. It works out handy for me, if I was born in Dublin I probably be supporting a LOI club I would say.
    Ok fair enough, but I think you're the exception in that, rather than the rule. Shannon is probably the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Is there a 'special needs' post of the month competition on this website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

One of the worst matches I was at was in the premiership. Awful waste of money watching awful players play awful football but somehow paid ridiculous money.

dan1895 wrote: »
    One of the worst matches I was at was in the premiership. Awful waste of money watching awful players play awful football but somehow paid ridiculous money.

Of course there are some terrible games but the standard is in the LOI is very poor, it's one of the worst in Europe, that's why the ticket prices are low. There is no denying this.

Of course there are some terrible games but the standard is in the LOI is very poor, it's one of the worst in Europe, that's why the ticket prices are low. There is no denying this.

You talk about it like you're discussing why you buy jacks roll in Tesco instead of Lidl.

Sums up this forum, really.

I care little for the standard. Obviously if it was higher that would be great but they are my local club who i'd support no matter what level they play at. I've seen them put it up to some of Europe's big boys and get knocked out of the cup by non league opposition in the space of a few years. When things were bad a few years ago, I genuinely wondered if I would be attending non league games as a Shels fan. But I never thought I would stop going to games. For someone with a real passion for their club, standard is not important.

I care little for the standard. Obviously if it was higher that would be great but they are my local club who i'd support no matter what level they play at. I've seen them put it up to some of Europe's big boys and get knocked out of the cup by non league opposition in the space of a few years. When things were bad a few years ago, I genuinely wondered if I would be attending non league games as a Shels fan. But I never thought I would stop going to games. For someone with a real passion for their club, standard is not important.

That's great man, it's great you have a club close to you, I was responding to the poster who compared the ticket prices of LOI to premier league games, the prices reflect the standard.

stovelid wrote: »
    You talk about it like you're discussing why you buy jacks roll in Tesco instead of Lidl.

Sums up this forum, really.

Why are you so bitter, enjoy your LOI football.

That's great man, it's great you have a club close to you, I was responding to the poster who compared the ticket prices of LOI to premier league games, the prices reflect the standard.
    No i'm lucky my club play at the highest level in the country. But if they didn't i'd still be there. No football clubs in Clare?

No i'm lucky my club play at the highest level in the country. But if they didn't i'd still be there. No football clubs in Clare?

No none at all, limerick 37 are not too far away, I went to a few games when they won the league cup years ago as a friend of mine was playing.

Why are you so bitter, enjoy your LOI football.

I do.

And I enjoy United too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not that I really want to get into this debate, but if you're 10 minutes from Shannon airport, you're only 30 minutes from Limerick FC games in Jackman park.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not that I really want to get into this debate, but if you're 10 minutes from Shannon airport, you're only 30 minutes from Limerick FC games in Jackman park.

I know i said that in my last post, i have been travelling to liverpool for about 15 years now, what you want me to do, just stop going and start supporting limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

stovelid - closed account

:eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Xavi6 wrote: »

NOOOO! Why is it always the good ones!

I think I'll miss the most his continous re-telling of his favourite story - how he likes to laugh at/insult Irish people with his English family every chance he gets. What a stand up guy!

Up there with SectionF as one of the SFs most notorious, bitter LoI-ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I know i said that in my last post, i have been travelling to liverpool for about 15 years now, what you want me to do, just stop going and start supporting limerick.
    I don't want you to do anything, but I wonder why you're portraying your LOI options as Cork or Dublin when Limerick is so much closer.

I don't want you to do anything, but I wonder why you're portraying your LOI options as Cork or Dublin when Limerick is so much closer.

True I suppose, limerick were very badly run back when I was growing up, they had no support. District football was better supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

NOOOO! Why is it always the good ones!

I think I'll miss the most his continous re-telling of his favourite story - how he likes to laugh at/insult Irish people with his English family every chance he gets. What a stand up guy!

Up there with SectionF as one of the SFs most notorious, bitter LoI-ers.

The account's still warm man!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

The account's still warm man!!!!

Less of your insolence you sub-human, barstooling quasi-Englishman, you shame the memory of the men of '16. Think about that next time as you cheer on your ENGLISH QUEEN-LOVING football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Kirby wrote: »
    The olympics is a big draw as it's one of the few sporting events that non-sporting people will sit and watch. I would wager a few more thousand would have shown up had it not been scheduled when it was.
    I'd wager a few more thousand would have shown up if it was utd, Liverpool, Celtic etc
    I'm a life long United fan. My father was too and so was his and so forth. I have no intentions of letting others tell me who I should or should not support; I can make my own mind up on that.

Really, you can make up your own mind ? You sure about that ?

And again I say, if you feel that way, fair play to you. But I don't. I've tried watching a few LOI games over the last year, and only one managed to hold my interest for 90 minutes.

Some of Utd's games last season were incredibly boring.

alproctor wrote: »
    This is completely wrong.

Like the original poster, I am a lifelong United supporter, having supported the club from 1981. I have family connections to Manchester, my uncle lived in Sale till he died in 2002, and was a season ticket holder in Old Trafford up until that time. I have jerseys, programmes, badges, tshirts, scarves, pictures, etc. etc. from the 70's to today. Dozens of my relations still live in the area, Denton, Stockport, Salford, Bolton, Oldham, Warrington....

It's funny people follow the relatives who support Utd because they are from the area but they never follow Altrincham, Bolton, Oldham etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Jumped or pushed? Jumped by the sound of it. Throwing in the towel is pretty much the done thing in Tallaght these days.

Do both?

• Advertisement

Stick on the Katie Taylor fight to hear more from the best fans in the world. :pac:

Stick on the Katie Taylor fight to hear more from the best fans in the world. :pac:
    Ah jesus, don't ruin a great day for Irish sport with that ****e.

Meh, the same event junkies tbh. I'm generally on the other side of the debate but the "ole ole" cheer during the fight before was pretty sad and the boos for Taylor's opponent before the fight were ****ing pathetic.

Meh, the same event junkies tbh. I'm generally on the other side of the debate but the "ole ole" cheer during the fight before was pretty sad and the boos for Taylor's opponent before the fight were ****ing pathetic.
    Would you ever go away with that ****e. Boxing barstoolers now? Come on FFS.

Would you ever go away with that ****e. Boxing barstoolers now? Come on FFS.

I have no problem with boxing or MMA barstoolers, we're all that when it's on telly. When they all congregate and be arseholes it's worth commenting on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

born2bwild wrote: »
    Jumped or pushed? Jumped by the sound of it. Throwing in the towel is pretty much the done thing in Tallaght these days.

Prayforstovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't watch too much boxing then do you??

Out of curiosity, do you think that people should only attend olympic sports that they follow religiously week in week out?

Don't you think the women boxers from any country would be a bit dissappointed if they turned up for the olympics and had a mostly empty arena?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Im just awaiting the upcoming thread from some gobsh1te comparing the crowds for her Olympic fight compared to the 30 people who turn up to see her in an Irish ladies football qualifier.:rolleyes:

Either that or her profile will raise the status of Irish ladies football, and someone will be complaining more people turned out for a ladies international friendly than turned up at Tolka last week.

One or the other :)

gosplan wrote: »
    Don't watch too much boxing then do you??

Out of curiosity, do you think that people should only attend olympic sports that they follow religiously week in week out?

Don't you think the women boxers from any country would be a bit dissappointed if they turned up for the olympics and had a mostly empty arena?

I watch a fair amount of boxing and obviously the pro stuff is pure pantomime with all the crap around the fight. The boxing is always going to sell out either way, I just thought watching the match and the one before was pretty funny with this thread in mind.

I've no problem with people only watching something in the olympics, there's half a dozen sports I only really watch when it's the olympics or world championships. Like I said, the crowd at the match just reminded me massively of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Couldnt believe all those barstoolers watching the 200 metres last night. It doesnt compare to going to Morton Stadium to see the local clubs battle against each other. Proper athletics, none of that over hyped Bolt and Blake stuff that is fed to us by the axis of evil; the BBC, Sky and RTE. These people just cant understand athletics culture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement