Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rats.

• 04-08-2012 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of rats? Are rats simply vermin or are they great survivors? Rats must be one of the most successful mammals on Earth when it comes to propagation.

Don't some cultures celebrate the Rat? Some people keep rats as pets. Rats were even trained to fly Spitfires and Mustangs against the Nazis during WWII.

Rats, rats, rats - what do the good folks of After Hours think of rats?

What do you think of rats? 40 votes

I think rats are pretty cool creatures.
    0%
    Rats are scum.
    37%
    GraysonWibbsstrobeDuggy747rainbowtroutGhost BusterpaddyandyMillicentDude111tommylimerickCú GiobachChuck StoneNegativeCreepmauzoWhatsernamex33 15 votes
    Atari southern fried rat.
    62%
    shinobigalwayrushshockwaveMuff_DaddyBassfisheyebrows63hoochisRayMJoey the lipsstevek93PaddysnapperNodsterIrish_wolfhawkeladygrizzlyadamsRichard teaStudentDadprevious userJester252Rhavin 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

fukking hate them.Use to go looking for them along the dodder when I was young equipped with a black widow cat and a bag of ball bearings.They'd explode if you got a good hit.Very enjoyable:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I don't like rats. They'll do anything to survive which is not cool.

If Sir David Attenborough does not really like them there must be something up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Rats are scum.
    I don't mind them existing as long as they're not anywhere near me!
    Now mice are a different story. Lovely little things. Those little brown ones are so cool. Don't like the disease carrying ones you find in you're house though, just the lab rats :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

If you go up near Mountjoy, you will find plenty of them! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Rats are scum.
    HazDanz wrote: »
    I don't like rats. They'll do anything to survive

Who wouldn't do anything to survive? If you had a litter to feed wouldn't you do anything to survive in the face of adversity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rats from the flats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Rats were even trained to fly Spitfires and Mustangs against the Nazis during WWII.

But...but...

How did their little tiny claws manage to navigate the steering wheel and deploy fire?

If this is actually true, I have even less respect for the Nazi's than I had before. They couldn't even beat a squadron of rats!! Pah :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We line a barrel with concrete and sink our glock ridden rat and his secrets to the sea floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Rats. I absolutely hate them and fear them.

They're my least favourite rodent

Rats are scum.
    But...but...

How did their little tiny claws manage to navigate the steering wheel and deploy fire?

Stop introducing reason into my fantasies goddammit. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stop introducing reason into my fantasies goddammit. :mad:

Fantasies???

Watch and learn, my friend....watch and learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Bubonic plague, Weals disease, rats are trouble. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Rats are scum.

Which makes them different to...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Rats are scum.
    Rats are really nice pets if cared for correctly. They're also surprisingly smart -- much more than I imagine most people give them credit for.

Useless fact of the day: a rat's squeal is only audible to a human when it's unhappy. When happy, the pitch of the sound made is too high for humans to hear. Some think it's a kind of laughter. That will either be the cutest thing you've ever heard or the creepiest if you think of the fact that rats are secretly laughing at you. :D

Rats are scum.
    policarp wrote: »
    Bubonic plague ... rats are trouble. . .

Poor rats are still getting the blame for that 700 years later. Nobody ever blames the fleas that actually carried it while piggybacking on the rats. The rats were victims too, dammit. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Rats are scum.

Rats are grand. Intelligent, little furry guys making their own way in the world and teaching adolescent mutated turtles how to do ninjutsu... what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Not forgetting Bob Geldof!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cool pets,really smart and affectionate,easily trained too,sort of like mini dogs.

Don't have a problem with the wild ones as long as they stay away from me and my house.

Rats are scum.
    strobe wrote: »

Rats are grand. Intelligent, little furry guys making their own way in the world and teaching mutated turtles how to do ninjutsu... what's not to like?

Exactly. Bet none of the rat-haters would slag off rats to Splinter's face. Keyboard warriors are no match for a rat warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I blame my dad for why I dislike rats. He hates them too and it somehow rubbed off on me as well.

We had a rat living in our back garden shed recently. My dog spotted it one night and alerted us to it's presence(Good dog). We set a rat trap with a bit of cooked rasher on it one night and the next day found a dead rat in the trap. Since then we set it up a few other times but didn't catch anything so we assume there are no other rats in our shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

strobe wrote: »

Which makes them different to...?

Pussies. They'll do fúck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Fooking hate this rat:mad:

Rats are scum.
    Naomi00 wrote: »
    They can surf too.. rats 'surfing'.vid

Looks to me like the poor wee things are trying not to drown. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Millicent wrote: »
    Poor rats are still getting the blame for that 700 years later. Nobody ever blames the fleas that actually carried it while piggybacking on the rats. The rats were victims too, dammit. :(

What about Weals Disease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What about the numerous diseases spread through human-to-human contact?

Leave the rats alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ratatouille and Stuart Little are sound lads but other than that I can't stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

RATS?! Hairy japanese bastards!

2 pages in and this wasnt posted, shameful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Rats are scum.
    Rats tails are gross. They dont really bother me, a few of my friends are terrified of them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Saw one being squashed by a forklift wheel. the area it covered on the ground afterwards was impressive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rats are scum.
    The thing is for all their great survivor tag if we died out in the morning their population would plummet, even disappear in many places where they live today. They need us basically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rats are scum.
    Human population 7 billion
    Rat population 5 billion

http://understandingbignumbers.com/this-planet-has-a-lot-of-rats

We are well capable of spreading plenty of diseases among ourselves without the need to consider picking up diseases from rats.

We tend to use up a lot more of the world's resources too. They don't cause recession, unemployment, poverty or crime. On the whole us humans are probably worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I love all animals tbh. I dont kill many. I would let flies out rather than kill them. I figure if i dont have food covered from flies its my own tough.

But rats.....rats are so dangerous. They live in places i leave my ****e and they carry disease that can kill me or my kids.

Tbh i appreciate they only want to survive its not the dirt. Pigs are dirty and i like them. Its the fear of what i may catch from rats.

I hate them and if you want to understand rats just look at what happens when one is cut and the others destroy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Human population 7 billion
    Rat population 5 billion

Hmm, Soylent rat green could help feed us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

A river runs at the bottom of my garden so naturally there are going to be rats around and the odd time I'll see one burrowing away in my compost bin but we have this understanding going on- I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Rats are scum.
    gammygils wrote: »
    Rats. I absolutely hate them and fear them.

They're my least favourite rodent

And that post was liked by "le la rat"

I like rats. Always wanted a white one as a pet. far smarter and interactive than a fecking rabbit.

As other said, they can be dangerous. But so is almost every single wild animal. There a loads of diseases on birds for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rats are scum.
    Rats are deadly smart little fùckers.

I have a pair of Degus, never thought I'd end up with pets like them but they're savage pets. Very smart and friendly little buggers with the two of them having different personalities to each other. (One of them goes nuts for toilet paper while the other likes play with things like strings)

I don't bother spreading out the new hay in their cage whenever I'm changing it anymore, just dump a few lumps in and they arrange the cage to how they like it :D

I mean, how could you hate this face? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Rats are deadly smart little fùckers.

I have a pair of Degus, never thought I'd end up with pets like them but they're savage pets. Very smart and friendly little buggers with the two of them having different personalities to each other. (One of them goes nuts for toilet paper while the other likes play with things like strings)

I don't bother spreading out the new hay in their cage whenever I'm changing it anymore, just dump a few lumps in and they arrange the cage to how they like it :D

I mean, how could you hate this face? :pac:

My brother has 3 Degu's and I must say they are pretty cute. They're very fast creatures and quite shy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I kill them anyway I can

• Advertisement

Rats are scum.

Carried by loads of different animals, says Wiki. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis#section_1) I'm not saying go out and lick a wild rat but not to blame them for every disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Rats are scum.
    Splendour wrote: »
    A river runs at the bottom of my garden so naturally there are going to be rats around and the odd time I'll see one burrowing away in my compost bin but we have this understanding going on- I don't bother them and they don't bother me.
    Similar situation here, to me they're just part of the local wildlife like the cute little bunnies or the baby foxes frollicing in the fields.
    As for entering my house, if I stuck my hand into a rats nest it would bite me, and if one enters my nest I'll bite it (figuratively speaking of course).

I had one stuck under my kitchen cupboards a few years ago for a week, I couldn't get my hands on a rat trap and a mouse one would have been too cruel (and I believe no animal deserves the death rat poison gives). Being mid-summer and very hot weather I couldn't stand the thought of something dying of thirst in my house so I even stuck a saucer of water under there for it :).
    Eventually my dogs caught it and dispatched it quickly, it had to be done but I still felt sorry for the poor little thing.

Advertisement