Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken bedroom door handle

• 04-08-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    The door handle to our spare room is broken. It will open from the inside when pulled down as normal but on the outside when we pull the handle down nothing happens.... Problem is its the room where our 2 yr old sleeps and if it closes we can't access it from the outside and he gets locked in.
    Can any one tell me where to start looking for any kind of DIY instructions on how to get it fixed or will I have to pay a 'handyman' to do the job? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Easy enough fix. All you will need is a phililps head screwdriver most likely. Take the handle off on the outside and see is the spindle long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As the poster says above the spindle (square metal bar) is probably a little on the short side. Who ever put on the handles probably cut it a bit short and its after moving slightly, so just the inside handle is catching it and the outside one isn't. Can't really be much else.

Not even worth calling a handy man for this job as the poster above says just get a philips screw driver and take off the external handle. Jobs don't get much simpler than this.

You should be able to re-position the spindle between the two handles, maybe jam some paper inside the handle at each end to stop it moving. But not really worth someone getting locked in. I recently replaced a load of handles so if you want / need an new spindle(s) your welcome to any of the ones I have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Job done thanks to you both

Advertisement