Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starcraft Broodwar Swansong

• 04-08-2012 9:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

doubtless we don't have too many bw enthusiasts here and I'd consider myself far more of an sc2 man but today (half an hour) is the last broodwar OSL finals in Korea

after thirteen years broodwar is being put to rest professionally, the teams are moving over to starcraft 2 and thousands of broodwar fans worldwide are angrily trolling starcraft 2 forums.
    There can only be one champion. This is why the title of OSL champion brought so much prestige in the past. However, this OSL is a little more special than that. The winner of the finals this Saturday will be forever immortalized as the final champion of the OnGameNet Starleague. With the end of BW only Proleague, many fans consider this OSL to be the last professional Brood War tournament. Fans all around the world will be watching Jangbi and Fantasy square off in this momentous event.

Who could forget the last time these two players faced off? In a dramatic final set, Jangbi took down Fantasy in a comeback game that stunned everyone watching him, completing the legend of the fall. Will Fantasy get his revenge and be known as the greatest professional BW player at its death, or will Jangbi snatch his two-in-a-row OSL championship, a feat only matched by Boxer and Jaedong?

Whatever the result, these games will be forever etched in the hearts of Brood War fans. These games will be amazing. We will get the true send off to Brood War that it deserves. If you haven't watched much Brood War before, this is the match to watch. This match carries the 12 year history of OSL, and much of professional Brood War.

There's a special match before the finals where Boxer will play Yellow, two of the retired bw greats from days past who had one of the most famous rivalries in the history of the game. There will be english streams for both matches and I'll update the thread with links when it happens but if you're awake this saturday morning and don't have anything better to do it'd be worth tuning in to watch a piece of gaming history fall away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

This is it. The last final of the game that made esports. Last chance to see the greatness that is Brood War.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Sayle

english language stream above

http://www.twitch.tv/ogn_star2hd

official english language korean stream.. afaik first time they've done this

http://www.youtube.com/esportstv

official korean stream

--edit

this is a piece of gaming history folks

young kids playing an RTS game making hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary, sponsorship deals and prize money. More money, more prestige and more viewers than loads of the games they have in the olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

is now right? i think my afternoon is written off so. will have to say misses to finish her self off and make me some breakfast!

boxer v yellow are on stage atm
    they play a bo1 afaik and then jangbi v fantasy starts

--edit

IT'S OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched the first match. Pretty cool stuff. Can't believe the crowds there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

was good. even misses watched it with interest during breakfast. was asking stuff about it :D

yeah the crowds can be insane at the finals

sad to see boxer lose, but I guess it's only fair yellow won after the humiliation boxer heaped on him during their starcraft 2 showmatch last year

http://www.twitch.tv/ogn_star2hd

first game of the finals starting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

That's it. Farewell bw.

murphzor wrote: »
    That's it. Farewell bw.

the king is dead
    long live the king

unless that king is league of legends, in which case **** the monarchy

• Advertisement