Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless router around

Options
  • 04-08-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my old & trusty linksys WRT54G wireless router - still works fine directly connected to my desktop but the wireless is getting weak and eratic on connection.

Not too sure what to replace it with though ???

I'm with UPC for the broadband provider and I've no issues- was looking at linksys website and think the A2700 would fit the bill but doesn't seem to have good reviews.

Any recommendation on the last generation of wireless router ?

Cheers,
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

See what I recommended in this thread. Not at all average user friendly, if you want to do anything fancy you'd need some networking knowledge.

Well you did ask for the best :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Thanks for your response - had a look at your thread alright and I wouldn't have your IT knowledge - I'm ok to setup a domestic wireless network but that's suits me fine. but yes I did ask for the best :rolleyes:

called UPC today to see what they'd offer me and they're gonna send me a wireless modem to replace the modem and the wireless router into one at no cost if I sign up with them for 12 months so I went for that as money is tight at the mo... I think it is also a cisco modem so I'm expected it to be relatively good.

Cheers,
    G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Slaacer wrote: »
    Thanks for your response - had a look at your thread alright and I wouldn't have your IT knowledge - I'm ok to setup a domestic wireless network but that's suits me fine. but yes I did ask for the best :rolleyes:

called UPC today to see what they'd offer me and they're gonna send me a wireless modem to replace the modem and the wireless router into one at no cost if I sign up with them for 12 months so I went for that as money is tight at the mo... I think it is also a cisco modem so I'm expected it to be relatively good.

Cheers,
    G.

Doh..The Cisco modem/router they are sending you isnt very good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Doh..The Cisco modem/router they are sending you isnt very good at all.

Well what one would you suggest? I'm in a similar situation and I'd also like one that extended the range of thebUPC router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just plug any wifi N router into the upc device. This worked fine for me.

I would disable the wifi G on the UPC but some flatmates have old laptops that don't support N. So now we have 2 wifi networks, and both work fine. The N network has a MUCH better signal and bandwidth than the other. In some rooms on the opposite side of the house N works fine whereas G will barely connect.

No fancy configuration needed, just connect new router to upc router via ethernet cable.

One additional note: We did have some problems with a laptop and a PC with the N network. They both had a certain model of Atheros wireless card. Windows automatically installs a buggy driver for this >.< Symptoms are it will connect and then randomly disconnect. Only had problems on the Atheros machines, noone else had problem. Solution was to manually install latest driver for the card.

Advertisement