Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs Help PLEASE!

• 04-08-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ok, so my debs is in less than a month and I'm freaking out - I feel ill! The only thing I have is my dress. I need to know more about debs etiqutte - as in everything! I'm not irish so my family don't know very much about the whole thing and dnt see it as such a big deal.

•Does anyone know good places (in Kildare or Dublin) to get nice, cheap flat shoes and evening bags?

•Do I have to buy my date a flower to pin on his tux? If I do, is it supposed to match the one he gets me?

•I don't drink, am I supposed to buy drinks for my date and others?

•Am I supposed to invite my date's family over? This is the thing that's troubling me the most. I'm sure they are very nice people, but I'm really shy and awkward, I've never met them before, and it might be really awkward as our families don't know each other at all. I'd really rather not have them over, but I dont want to be rude.

If it is necessary to invite them over, what happens then?

•Does anyone know any good place for make up in Kildare?

•What exactly happens at the debs? I cannot dance at all - just dnt know how…

•How much are official pictures usually? And are they taken with other people watching?

•What should I bring in my bag? And how much money should I bring?

•Is €250 too much for a dress?

Oh just to say, we (my date and I) started going out recently but I don't plan on telling my parents.

Please dont be rude and thanks for any help in advance! =)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Ok well don't panic :)I'm sure it will be amazing anyway and you will enjoy yourself.
    So you are the girl then :P

Does anyone know good places (in Kildare or Dublin) to get nice, cheap flat shoes and evening bags? I live in dublin , so aldo, marks and spencers, dunnes or penneys could have some, you really have to shop around , you might just see one randomly

Do I have to buy my date a flower to pin on his tux? If I do, is it supposed to match the one he gets me? No, he will normally get his own,haven't really seen flowers? he will most likely get a tie or dickie bow to match the colour of your dress

I don't drink, am I supposed to buy drinks for my date and others? No, maybe buy him one for coming with you but generally the guy will buy his own drinks.

Am I supposed to invite my date's family over? This is the thing that's troubling me the most. I'm sure they are very nice people, but I'm really shy and awkward, I've never met them before, and it might be really awkward as our families don't know each other at all. I'd really rather not have them over, but I dont want to be rude.
    The family might like to see their son off if he is an only child but seeing as he is the guy and they aren't taking many pictures of the dress you might get away with not inviting them , you really have to ask your guy here and see what he says, if his parents have asked to see you two before you go, maybe you two could just drop by their house on your way for a picture?

What exactly happens at the debs? I cannot dance at all - just dnt know how… Normally it is a formal dinner , again it varies all the time , you will be at tables of maybe 6 or 8 couples then there may be a drinks reception and then dancing , really don't worry about it! many people can't dance and alot will be drunk , they won't even be looking at your dancing.Just look at how other girls are dancing.

•How much are official pictures usually? And are they taken with other people watching? It depends on the photographer, i would think they could be between 15-25 euro.

•What should I bring in my bag? And how much money should I bring? I would suggest a camera, your fully charged phone with credit, make up to touch up, ID if you need it for the place you are going to , moneywise i would bring more than you think you need so you won't be stuck! you can always bring extra home, i presume you have paid for the event/transport in advance and you said you don't drink so then you won't really need much , bring a bit for soft drink, transport home and incase you go for food with some friends afterwards, 50 euro? it is up to you

Is €250 too much for a dress? No, i plan on spending 400 that may be way too much but i really want to focus on the dress :)
    Enjoy yourself , try not to worry! If i think of anything else i will edit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gracey_123

amyleaving wrote: »
    Ok well don't panic :)I'm sure it will be amazing anyway and you will enjoy yourself.
    So you are the girl then :P

Does anyone know good places (in Kildare or Dublin) to get nice, cheap flat shoes and evening bags? I live in dublin , so aldo, marks and spencers, dunnes or penneys could have some, you really have to shop around , you might just see one randomly

Do I have to buy my date a flower to pin on his tux? If I do, is it supposed to match the one he gets me? No, he will normally get his own,haven't really seen flowers? he will most likely get a tie or dickie bow to match the colour of your dress

I don't drink, am I supposed to buy drinks for my date and others? No, maybe buy him one for coming with you but generally the guy will buy his own drinks.

Am I supposed to invite my date's family over? This is the thing that's troubling me the most. I'm sure they are very nice people, but I'm really shy and awkward, I've never met them before, and it might be really awkward as our families don't know each other at all. I'd really rather not have them over, but I dont want to be rude.
    The family might like to see their son off if he is an only child but seeing as he is the guy and they aren't taking many pictures of the dress you might get away with not inviting them , you really have to ask your guy here and see what he says, if his parents have asked to see you two before you go, maybe you two could just drop by their house on your way for a picture?

What exactly happens at the debs? I cannot dance at all - just dnt know how… Normally it is a formal dinner , again it varies all the time , you will be at tables of maybe 6 or 8 couples then there may be a drinks reception and then dancing , really don't worry about it! many people can't dance and alot will be drunk , they won't even be looking at your dancing.Just look at how other girls are dancing.

•How much are official pictures usually? And are they taken with other people watching? It depends on the photographer, i would think they could be between 15-25 euro.

•What should I bring in my bag? And how much money should I bring? I would suggest a camera, your fully charged phone with credit, make up to touch up, ID if you need it for the place you are going to , moneywise i would bring more than you think you need so you won't be stuck! you can always bring extra home, i presume you have paid for the event/transport in advance and you said you don't drink so then you won't really need much , bring a bit for soft drink, transport home and incase you go for food with some friends afterwards, 50 euro? it is up to you

Is €250 too much for a dress? No, i plan on spending 400 that may be way too much but i really want to focus on the dress :)
    Enjoy yourself , try not to worry! If i think of anything else i will edit this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, VERY INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL! =]

Advertisement