Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping to Canada

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

I am shipping a Wehrmacht army dagger to Canada and am looking for the cheapest way to post it with the proper level of security and insurance. I looked at UPS but it was costing €95, An Post only seemed to have insurance for up to €350. Are there any other methods people know of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am shipping a Wehrmacht army dagger to Canada and am looking for the cheapest way to post it with the proper level of security and insurance. I looked at UPS but it was costing €95, An Post only seemed to have insurance for up to €350. Are there any other methods people know of?

I have had one shipped from canada and later on sold a couple and shipped them abroad at other points. I think UPS are not an option, I remember looking into them before and their prices were bonkers. I gave the buyer the options and ended up shipping by An Post. I recommend getting the buyer to agree in advance to any insurance details and make sure they know it's on them. Don't forget to mark it as something like 'Wall decoration' to reduce the chances of it being confiscated/destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am returning the dagger to the guy I bought it from as it is not exactly as described but he said to mark it as a historical collectors knife and to insure it for the full value. I dont know is he just trying to put me off returning it by upping the cost by declaring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

May i join in the topic and ask,if i send a sat nav to canada,will there be tax due on it at the canadian end. It was left behind by my brother,and are expensive to buy in canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

horse7 wrote: »
    May i join in the topic and ask,if i send a sat nav to canada,will there be tax due on it at the canadian end. It was left behind by my brother,and are expensive to buy in canada.

This is not really a topic for the Militaria forum. I am not sure where you could ask this but you could try consumer issues here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

I eventually got this shipped and the guy got charged another $24 in Canada. I thought the €60 I paid would have been all the fees required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

I eventually got this shipped and the guy got charged another $24 in Canada. I thought the €60 I paid would have been all the fees required.

They did the same thing to me here in NZ, I got slapped with a $30 (€19) added fee for a package that was sent from home, rang me up to say that they wouldn't release it if I didn't confirm that I could pay it.

I think they did a security check on it... at my expense, bunch of cowboys

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    They did the same thing to me here in NZ, I got slapped with a $30 (€19) added fee for a package that was sent from home, rang me up to say that they wouldn't release it if I didn't confirm that I could pay it.

I think they did a security check on it... at my expense, bunch of cowboys

What part of NZ are you in? I am moving down there in January. What is the TR militaria scene like down there? i saw a few reenactment groups online but havent looked into the collecting side of things much. I'm having to sell most of my collection to fund the move.

EDIT for MOD: You can transfer this to the "Where are the collectors gone" thread if you want, I only saw it now.

Advertisement