Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How quickly should a landlord respond to a complaint?

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I texted my landlord about 3 - 4 days ago about our back door leaking and also about the postbox being too small and making all the post wet as there is no proper lid on it. How long have they got to respond...

In relation to the door. We have been onto this since we 1st moved in 2 or 3 months ago. She has told us a carpenter will be around to fix it, or that they can not do it while it's raining etc. It has gotten so bad we have had to put sandbags in front of it... Now the house next door is available for rent so I am hoping the sandbags will have some effect...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Put everything in writing and send it to the landlord via registered post, requesting a response and proposed resolutions within the week. If nothing is forthcoming, send another letter stating that in light of their lack of response you will have no choice but to open a case with the PRTB if you hear nothing back in the next 7 days. If you still do not get a response then contact the PRTB.

Make sure you do everything in writing. Text messages/phone calls are not worth anything; even emails are too easy to claim that they never arrived. Keep a copy of all correspondance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I texted my landlord about 3 - 4 days ago about our back door leaking and also about the postbox being too small and making all the post wet as there is no proper lid on it. How long have they got to respond...

In relation to the door. We have been onto this since we 1st moved in 2 or 3 months ago. She has told us a carpenter will be around to fix it, or that they can not do it while it's raining etc. It has gotten so bad we have had to put sandbags in front of it... Now the house next door is available for rent so I am hoping the sandbags will have some effect...
    It's not so much as "How quickly should a landlord respond to a complaint?" but how long you, the tenant should give a landlord to remedy any complaint.

Under normal circumstances, a tenant should give a landlord "a reasonable time" to remedy any issues, which would usually be about 14 days. Serious issues less time, complicated issues more time.

By putting your complaint in writing (dated and keep a copy) you have evidence of the problem just in case, at a later dated, the landlord tries to keep some or all of your deposit for damage beyond normal wear and tear. Again, if you do not put a time by which the issues should be resolved, then, as you have discovered, it will drag on and on .... for months and months.

Basically, if the issue is not remedied within "a reasonable time" then the landlord would be in breach of his obligations.

While I would agree that the door issue is the landlord's responsibility, I wouldn't entirely agree that he should alter the postbox to suit the mail that you receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would say allowing them 14 days to respond to a message (note respond, not remedy) is excessive. No reason they couldnt at least acknowledge the issues; I fail to believe that someone doesnt check their phone for 3-4 days at a time (most people dont go an hour without looking at at their phone)...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I wouldn't entirely agree that he should alter the postbox to suit the mail that you receive.

The post box is to share between 3 different households. On a post at the top of the drive. it is half the size of an A4 Sheet with a lid that keeps slipping off. So even if they manage to get your post into the box it's soaked by the time you collect it. I can not have my post delivered to the local post office as I work monday to friday and by the time I get to collect it on a Saturday it may have moved on.

Most of my post is of importance and receiving it illegable is not good.

So on this count I would not say I am requesting it to SUIT the post I receive but more so because I should be able to receive my post in a managable condition.

Advertisement