Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the footpath ?

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My dad the other day, mentioned you should never cycle on a footh path as the guards may pull you over and fine you. I have a small bike which belonged to my gran , small wheels and light weight, I was wondering is it a bad idea to cycle on the path on a very busy road, which had a path on both sides. The road leads out onto a motor way a good bit on.. so its very busy! it would take me a half hour to walk it and I have to be in for 8 am. If I cycled it would take me less then 10 minutes, how likey is it that I would get pulled over? the path doesnt have many houses on it near the path or business and up ahead is a very busy aroundabout. Personally I would feel safer on the path, but I am getting so worked up about getting caught cycling on it , I might just walk.:(:pac:

*FOOT path... damn it it wouldnt let me edit it. awh sure...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No good can come of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If you want to use the path, leave the bike behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

caty360 wrote: »
    Personally I would feel safer on the path
    You might feel safer, but pedestrians sharing the footpath wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

no it's footPAD

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

RT66 wrote: »
    If you want to use the path, leave the bike behind.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 caty360

nah , i just wanted an opinon. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

nah , i just wanted an opinon. Thanks.

Just so it is clear, it's the *law*. Not opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Just cycle on the footpath with care and give way to pedestrians.Dont let people think your committing genocide just because you cycle on the path.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Just cycle on the footpath with care and give way to pedestrians.Dont let people think your committing genocide just because you cycle on the path.
    Er, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

"Cyling on the footpath with care" makes it no less illegal.

If you want to use the footpaths you should walk. If you want to cycle, use cycle lanes where available and the road the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I only steal from rich people with insurance. Which makes it okay for me to steal! :pac:

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Er, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

"Cyling on the footpath with care" makes it no less illegal.

If you want to use the footpaths you should walk. If you want to cycle, use cycle lanes where available and the road the rest of the way.

Yawns....

The amount of laws that aren't enforced is criminal,cycling on the path is well down the list of laws which need to be acted on by the Garda.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedjacketandapipe/7710387842/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedjacketandapipe/7710383214/in/photostream/

The above are pictures i took whist in Barcelona two weeks ago,these cycle lanes are continuous throughout almost every street in Barcelona.I would be agreeing with you if cyclists in Ireland had similar facilities as they do in Spain but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I really think it's attitudes like yours that contribute to the amount of disrespect cyclists get on the road. If certain cyclists don't act like proper road users, we won't be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Please, just don't cycle on the footpath. The amount of times I've nearly been hit on the footpath recently is shocking, and it just gives other cyclists a bad name.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yawns....

The amount of laws that aren't enforced is criminal,cycling on the path is well down the list of laws which need to be acted on by the Garda.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedjacketandapipe/7710387842/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedjacketandapipe/7710383214/in/photostream/

The above are pictures i took whist in Barcelona two weeks ago,these cycle lanes are continuous throughout almost every street in Barcelona.I would be agreeing with you if cyclists in Ireland had similar facilities as they do in Spain but they don't.

Yawn all you want.

It's illegal. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Just seen a group of kids cycling past my house on the footpath, i've notified the Garda :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Inbox wrote: »
    Just seen a group of kids cycling past my house on the footpath, i've notified the Garda :rolleyes::D

I agree you shouldn't cycle on the footpath, but that's a bit extreme don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Inbox wrote: »

I would have ran out and stuck a broom handle in the front spokes, that would learn em real good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Liam90 wrote: »
    I agree you shouldn't cycle on the footpath, but that's a bit extreme don't you think?

525x476px-LL-6df82c8e_Simmons-sarcasm01.jpeg

I really think it's attitudes like yours that contribute to the amount of disrespect cyclists get on the road. If certain cyclists don't act like proper road users, we won't be treated as such.

Its not attitudes thats the problem,its cyclists actions.I keep to the rules of the road what others do is beyond my control.What im well aware of is some folk simply do not feel safe at all on the roads(in dublin)and i understand why so they take the footpath.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

All the empirical evidence suggest that cycling in Dublin is quite safe.

Someone who isn't competent or confident enough to ride on the road shouldn't be riding at all rather than feeling it gives them licence to cycle on the footpath.

• Advertisement

All the empirical evidence suggest that cycling in Dublin is quite safe.

Someone who isn't competent or confident enough to ride on the road shouldn't be riding at all rather than feeling it gives them licence to cycle on the footpath.

Alot of cyclist would disagree with your "empirical" evidence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Alot of cyclist would disagree with your "empirical" evidence.

Anecdotal evidence beats facts I suppose?

So you feel that someone's own opinion/superstition gives them licence to break the law? That's an interesting approach.

Anecdotal evidence beats facts I suppose?

So you feel that someone's own opinion/superstition gives them licence to break the law? That's an interesting approach.

Nope but when a friends head gets mashed into the tarmac as a 40ft truck squishes them it makes you look at the law a little differently

Nope but when a friends head gets mashed into the tarmac as a 40ft truck squishes them it makes you look at the law a little differently

Plenty of people are killed whilst driving too. Do you think that gives people the right to drive in which ever way they want?

The fact remains is that there are a tiny proportion of fatalities from cycling. Cycling on the road is not unsafe.

Plenty of people are killed whilst driving too. Do you think that gives people the right to drive in which ever way they want?

The fact remains is that there are a tiny proportion of fatalities from cycling. Cycling on the road is not unsafe.

Its unsafe,i cycle a 5km stretch across the city 6 days per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

No it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You shouldn't use the bad fortune of a handful of people (about 2 per year?) to try and make your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Will you cycle the whole thing on the footpad and tell us which is better of the two?

Simply asserting something is unsafe doesn't make it so. If cycling really were that dangerous it would be reflected in accident statistics. It isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

My dad the other day, mentioned you should never cycle on a footh path as the guards may pull you over and fine you. I have a small bike which belonged to my gran , small wheels and light weight, I was wondering is it a bad idea to cycle on the path on a very busy road, which had a path on both sides. The road leads out onto a motor way a good bit on.. so its very busy! it would take me a half hour to walk it and I have to be in for 8 am. If I cycled it would take me less then 10 minutes, how likey is it that I would get pulled over? the path doesnt have many houses on it near the path or business and up ahead is a very busy aroundabout. Personally I would feel safer on the path, but I am getting so worked up about getting caught cycling on it , I might just walk.:(:pac:

Is there an alternative route?

What's the speed limit on the road?

Advertisement