Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the footpath ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Its unsafe,i cycle a 5km stretch across the city 6 days per week.
    If it were really unsafe, you'd be posting from beyond the grave. I do 100km a week on the city centre and would describe the situation as occasionally annoying.

The most unsafe part of cycling in Dublin is the risk of fatal dose of indignation at the hypocrisy of Dublin's motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

RT66 wrote: »
    If you want to use the path, leave the bike behind.

Does that also apply to motorists parking on said path? Because they're obviously leaving the car behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

opti0nal wrote: »
    If it were really unsafe, you'd be posting from beyond the grave. I do 100km a week on the city centre and would describe the situation as occasionally annoying.

The most unsafe part of cycling in Dublin is the risk of fatal dose of indignation at the hypocrisy of Dublin's motorists.

So risk, and perception of risk, is only real/valid after someone is killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bebe1

it is illegal to go on the footpath, try pout the road but with the way our roads are in ireland its so dangerous anyway. wear a hi vis vest and chance the road and dont be put off by the cars, you pay taxes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Plenty of people are killed whilst driving too. Do you think that gives people the right to drive in which ever way they want?

The fact remains is that there are a tiny proportion of fatalities from cycling. Cycling on the road is not unsafe.

Its unsafe,i cycle a 5km stretch across the city 6 days per week.

Why is it unsafe in your opinion?

bebe1 wrote: »
    it is illegal to go on the footpath, try pout the road but with the way our roads are in ireland its so dangerous anyway. wear a hi vis vest and chance the road and dont be put off by the cars, you pay taxes too.

And what about your lights. Another legal requirement and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 caty360

Im going to walk .
    Yes I am now aware its against the law.But that road is just too deadly to be cycling on, it leads onto a motorway and into the city so it tends to get a lot of traffic...etc. There is a cycle lane on another route leading up that road but it still brings you out onto a very busy around about , then a junction where a good few accidents have happened. A lady was recently hit by a car coming out of there. Its really hard to explain , but the turn off would mean, I would have to cross 3 lanes of Traffic at rush hour going in varies directions.

Ill burn more calories walking if anything ! haha.

I havent seen many cyclists on that road either.... well no harm done. I just wanted to confirm it.
    No need to get so angry about it lads! take an aul breathe there and be happy, dont worry! :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

caty360 wrote: »
    Im going to walk .
    Yes I am now aware its against the law.But that road is just too deadly to be cycling on, it leads onto a motorway and into the city so it tends to get a lot of traffic...etc. There is a cycle lane on another route leading up that road but it still brings you out onto a very busy around about , then a junction where a good few accidents have happened. A lady was recently hit by a car coming out of there. Its really hard to explain , but the turn off would mean, I would have to cross 3 lanes of Traffic at rush hour going in varies directions.

Ill burn more calories walking if anything ! haha.

I havent seen many cyclists on that road either.... well no harm done. I just wanted to confirm it.
    No need to get so angry about it lads! take an aul breathe there and be happy, dont worry! :D

Ah nobody was getting angry :) You'll also burn calories if you find another route you can cycle that avoids this road, even if it's longer distance wise ;)

This road sounds a lot like the N11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Just cycle on the footpath with care and give way to pedestrians.

I suppose you think Jim McDaid driving the wrong way on the motor way was okay since he was being careful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Footpath. The key is in the name.

Worst culprits are couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caty360

Sorry, dont know the name of that road. Nah like there were fair points made like, haha I wasnt planning to run over anyone walking while on the bike or have an "attitude".
    Now Id say Id would have been scared ****less in case if I would been stopped by a guard ! hahahaha . Awh well lesson learned.
    I go running a lot so calories wise , Im not too worried. It was a time thing and a safety issue. I was warned it was a bad road...etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    So risk, and perception of risk, is only real/valid after someone is killed?
    Risk can be measured in hospital stats.

Perception of risk is a personal thing. My perception of risk is measured in how many times a day I need to change my underwear.

Mostly, Dublin city drivers are merely annoying and discourteous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

BX 19 wrote: »
    Why is it unsafe in your opinion?

And what about your lights. Another legal requirement and all that...

I have my lights on day and night,.anyway went from a downhill bike to a road bike last year and find the road surface ridiculous,avoiding pot holes all sizes is one of reasons i stick my opinion on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I suppose you think Jim McDaid driving the wrong way on the motor way was okay since he was being careful. :rolleyes:

? No idea what your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

Depends what time of the day you're cycling at op!

I used to be out of the house at 6 so it wasn't a problem to cycle on the path.

If the path isn't busy, just cycle on it and dismount if you see a person walking. If not, how long is the road, could you walk that portion of your journey or try a different route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Whether the path is busy or not it is still not for cyclists. FOOTPATH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

opti0nal wrote: »

1. Risk can be measured in hospital stats.

2. Perception of risk is a personal thing. My perception of risk is measured in how many times a day I need to change my underwear.

1. There is something in what you say. The issue of risk is more ramified than your comments suggest, though.

2. My perception is that people's perception of the risks of cycling exceed the actual risk. However, that risk perception is an important (de)motivating factor, and it needs to be addressed in some form in order to encourage more cycling and attract new recruits to cycle commuting.

Advertisement