Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Camp Life In The Top End

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Interesting reading though I'm not fully sure what she actually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Health and Safety I'm assuming?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone else reading this? I'm enjoying it I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya I have read it. She has a lovely style of writing and gives a good idea of her life there. Be nice if she came on here and told us a bit more such as how she got the job etc. Come on Becs we dont bite! We will let the crocs do that!
    I presume she must be in Arnhem Land which you need a special pass for. She seems to be on an island off it. A great way to experience Oz. I travelled around that Top End and it is a wonderful place.
    Cant comment on Becs blog as you need to have some wordpress login or such. The blog looks nice as well, comes out nice on the smartphone.

She says she's on an Island called Millingimby (or possibly Milingimbi island that comes up on Google maps)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Great insight into that part of the world. Would love to have a chat with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Definitely one of the better blogs I have read, very interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sparxbecs

Thanks guys for all the compliments!

I had originally started the blog just to update family as to what I was getting up to. I found I was sending group emails out and these were then getting passed along so my friend suggested a blog.

I arrived in Oz the start of may this year and basically applied for every health and safety job advertised on seek.com.au. I then got a call from the package manager of New Future Alliance asking if I would like to do a phone interview. I cant remember this specific job being advertised as I had applied for so many, so to be honest I'm not exactly sure how I landed the job but I'm here now and happy so not going to question it!
    Yes you do need police clearance and a pass for the island and this is all done as part of your interview/vetting. I also had to complete a medical which is pretty standard for FIFO work.

I am suprised myself by the view count on the blog but am glad people are enjoying it. Especially as English was never my strong point at school! Everyday is different and I have to remind myself that things that I find regular here are not so regular to people who dont experience it. :)

Feel free to ask questions!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Are all the housing made from concrete?

I had a friend who worked as a plumber in some of the aboriginal communities in WA, he was involved in plumbing out some of the housing. He said everything was made out of concrete even the kitchen, toilet and shower. There was nothing in the structure removable or burnable.

Welcome to the Oz forum Becs. Fair play to you for working in a place like that. Are you on your own? Not many girls would be prepared to go to a place like that without the comforts.
    I heard before that a lot of the social housing provided for the Aboriginals is damaged by them. Meant to be a lot of issues with child abuse and alcohol as well.
    So what was said above re everything possible being made from concrete could have some truth to it.
    Becs do the locals do any work or are they getting social welfare and thus just lay around the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sparxbecs

From what I have seen the fixtures are all regular and not made of concrete. Milingimbi however is a dry community so there are no drugs and alcohol which makes them a much friendlier bunch. Once drugs and alcohol are introduced to aboriginal communities this seems to spur on antisocial behaviour which could explain the concrete fixtures.

Some of the locals work in the local shop. This seems to be the only employment opportunity within the island and its also only women who seem to work there. We have however got a good response from the local men who want to sign up to our trainee program.
    Culture and traditions are very different here. If someone within your family asks for something you have to give it to them For example if your sister or brother asks you for your mobile phone it is customary that you give it to them. This is why a lot of people do not want to work here as they earn money, buy themselves something nice with it and then as soon as someone asks for it they have to give it away.

As for being a girl doing this work my background is as an electrician so I am more than used to working with men in unsanitary conditions! I had my doubts about taking the job however one of my friends put it to me like this - so you are basically going to live on a tropical island where you have noone hasseling you and they are paying you great moeny for it. When it was put to me like that I couldnt pass it up!
    Also the engineer has brought his girlfriend Rachel. She is the site administrator. So when I need so girl time we potter off together!:)

Fair play. You must be one of the few female tradies around. I think Breege Corkery on the Cork ladies teams is also a tradie. Will you get the chance to travel around that Arnhem Land given that you have a pass. Meant to be beautiful and unspoilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Great blog. Enjoyed reading it. Makes working in The Pilbara seem like a walk in the park.

Try Teatree oil on the bites if you can get some, it can help

What's the story with the blog does anyone know?

It hasn't been updated in ages.

Advertisement