Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think contemptible behaviour has increased in Dublin City?

Options
  • 04-08-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have witnessed what I believe is a sharp increase in the past 6 months to a year of behaviour which I would consider deserving of the term "scumbag" (generally contemptible behaviour) in the City. To be clear, I'm referring to theft, burglaries, aggressive begging, public fighting and other anti-social behaviour.
    I'm attempting to start this thread to actually have a discussion about this issue and what can be done about it. I'd like to refrain from generalising and try to stick to specifics.

To start with, mobile phone robbing seems to have increased in frequency and brazenness - there are many stories about people just walking up to women and grabbing it from their hands when they are on the phone (a Garda told me of a bicycle gang on Henry Street).

Aggressive begging seems to be another issue which I have experienced first hand.

I have also witnessed on 10+ separate occasions when walking down O'Connell Street (just up from that 4D cinema in the old Carlton) groups of youths having boxing matches. Granted it was "for fun" but it was full contact and in full view of tourists and taking no regard to passers-by.

I'm not trying to be a fuddy-duddy or have a moan, but this behaviour has a serious impact on how the city is viewed by tourists and respectable members of society.

What have you experienced or heard of and what can we do to stop it?

Do you think contemptible behaviour has increased in Dublin City? 91 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    52% 48 votes
    It has stayed about the same
    16% 15 votes
    I don't know
    30% 28 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have to agree with the brazen phone snatching. It happened to my mother in Temple Bar in broad day light, lunch time. In her shock/not knowing really what was happening she just really pulled the phone back and he let go, then just went on his way. That was it! If she had seen the guy properly she probably would have let go in fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Twee. wrote: »
    Have to agree with the brazen phone snatching. It happened to my mother in Temple Bar in broad day light, lunch time. In her shock/not knowing really what was happening she just really pulled the phone back and he let go, then just went on his way. That was it! If she had seen the guy properly she probably would have let go in fright.
    I work around the Four Courts and I have heard of at least 5 female colleagues and 2 males that had their phones snatched in Smithfield and the Fruit Market area. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have to say I dont think its gotten any worse recently to be honest, Dublins just like any other major city crime will always be a threat, there only one way to cut down on crime is a heavier Garda presence and tougher sentences given to those found guilty. The Gards can only do so much and make there presence felt so much unless under current constrictions and orders given out by there superiors. On a daily basis I see more traffic corps police than I do Gards walking the beat.

I know which Id rahter see a heavy presence in, ok traffic corps does have its uses aswell but generally its about fining people good for taxes but the majority are law abiding citizens id much rather see the Gards areesting the drug dealers along the quays or heavy presence on our main shopping streets, same goes for suburbs aswell, only time I see Gards walking the beat in my own local area is when the sun comes out so basically never.

Also stricter sentencing needs to be brought in by the courts its shocking to hear of people getting 6 months etc when they already have sometimes well into double figure criminal convictions.

As for phones people just need to be more aware there an easy target and with the likes of the smartphone the highly valuable and easy to move on while also easily taken on someone. I myself had someone once attempt to steal my phone the majority are bottom feeders and will run away at the smallest bit of a struggle its not worth the hassle fro them they will just get someone else in 5 mins time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

O connell street has become a meeting point for scumbags. Its embarrassing, when you see these knackers hassling tourists and openly drinking and doing drugs. The only police i seem to see is the one garda that is always at the gpo but they dont seem to do anything. Its probably nothing they can do, like move them on or arrest them and there back the next day.

You can notice the effects of the garda recruitment ban and closure of stations and its just going to get worse. In the bast year ive been to a number of other capitals in Europe and you dont see any trouble or people causing trouble.

I get the bus through oconnell street most days and its frustrating looking at these f*ck*ng idiots wasting their days drinking, causing trouble and stealing from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've noticed a huge increase in Gardai on O'Connell St in the last few weeks, particularly around the Henry St, Nth Earl St junction at the spire.

There is a Garda van perma-parked on the island opposite the GPO.

And there has been a significant reduction in junkie sightings in that area at the same time.

And to answer the OP, no I haven't noticed any particular change. And I've worked in the city centre for over 20 years. And lived there up to about 8 years ago.

Also, what's the difference between Options 2 & 3 in the poll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I think it's the same as the last decade or so, but safer than when I was a kid/teenager in the late 80s/90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The laws are not there to put people off any of this sort of behaviour there are hardly any cops so whats to stop the scum.

I myself have been started on by idiots, scum bags and addicts on numerous occasions I would definitely agree things are getting a lot worse.

1 occasion I was walking down path and fella walks into me and told me f this and that and I should have moved he then proceeded to pull out a knife I stood my ground and his freind dragged him off .
    Other ones have been beggers been aggressive and addicts having a go also.
    I seem to attract them at times.:rolleyes:

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've noticed a huge increase in Gardai on O'Connell St in the last few weeks, particularly around the Henry St, Nth Earl St junction at the spire.

And there has been a significant reduction in junkie sightings in that area at the same time.

And to answer the OP, no I haven't noticed any particular change. And I've worked in the city centre for over 20 years. And lived there up to about 8 years ago.

The reason more cops is because of rte radio show and people ringing in with all the trouble that does be on O Connell st (pat kenny) It's been brought up for the last couple of weeks.

Lol well spotted. My bad!

The reason more cops is because of rte radio show and people ringing in with all the trouble that does be on O Connell st (pat kenny) It's been brought up for the last couple of weeks.
    I didn't hear anything on the radio about it, it was just something which struck me over the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

How about bringing in national service? And put people like this guy running the training?

And prison's should be run the way this chap run's his:

http://tizona.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/you-all-remember-sheriff-joe-arpaio-of-arizona-who-painted-the-jail-cells-pink-and-made-the-inmates-wear-pink-prison-garb-wellsheriff-joe-is-at-it-again/

I didn't hear anything on the radio about it, it was just something which struck me over the past few months.

It was on pat kenny in the mornings think it may be on their site.
    Good point to bring up though it is a hell of a lot worse

i saw a guy trying to take a woman's phone, she yelled and smacked him with it, passersby rushed over and he legged it
    that's all i've seen though
    no other change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Walk around Dublin 1 shouting into a phone with most of it covered in super glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yep, definitely. About two weeks ago, I had three lads about 16 come up to me outside twisted pepper asking for a smoke. When I said no, they covered their faces with their scarves and started acting in an intimidating manner. Now I'm not a small guy and neither was the person i was with, but it was intimidating.

Last night, some lad deliberately shouldered me in the back, then had the cheek to start being all aggressive and trying to pick a fight. All this outside the front door of Store Street Garda Station, some people are just thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I haven't noticed much of an increase tbh. Actually, I've noticed that the junkies and people begging seem more placid if anything.

2 years ago, I was mugged at needle point while going to work. This was around 8am on Talbot Street. A month later, I was robbed again. Now, I didn't have cigarettes or a phone or a purse out, a needle was shoved at me when I refused to give a junkie change, and it ended up with me emptying my purse into his hands. The second time, my bag was snatched and there was no way I was running after a potentially dangerous junkie.

Since then, I've had very little hassle. I constantly get junkies asking me for smokes or money if I'm on my own, but I presume that's because I'm female, short (5'1) and look like I'm about 15 most of the time, so it makes me a target.

I've noticed that they seem to leave me alone if I say no now, though, whereas before I'd be hassled to no end.

Had a conversation with a junkie on Christmas Eve last year, actually. I had stopped to light a smoke and he came up and asked for one. I was cornered, so gave him one and he ended up spending 20 minutes chatting to me about his life and about a leg injury he had, then asked me to go for a drink (at about 10am!). He was one of the 'nice' ones though, no hassle from him.

I've noticed that if I give smokes to junkies or scumbags that ask, though, they tend to try hug me now. Must be something in the drugs making them happier because that never happened in the past. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've had far more hassle from groups of lads in Ballyfermot then I ever did in the city centre

I'm not sure if the OP meant this thread to be about just the city centre but it's worse in certain suburbs in my opinion

There's a chipper and off licence on Decies Rd Ballyfermot and a fair chance you'll have bottles thrown at you if you walk on your own at night.

Last time I got abuse in town was I was coming from an interview, slacks, shoes, shirt and navy jacket and a lady tore into me with rants and finger pointing!
    Thought I worked for Dublin Bus :pac:
    I need a new jacket, I often get people coming up to me with questions on buses from Aston Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It genuinely hasn't. Just because people start having personal experiences really doesn't make it any more an issue than it has been already.

One thing I will say though is that the ever developing freedom of mobile video technology kinda brings it to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

One change I've noticed is that you see a lot more of it in D2 than you used to, Dame Street/George's Street areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

People walking around with 50+ convictions who's lifestyles are funded by the decent working people's taxes. The same working people that they harass and steal from.

Yeah Dublin's gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Goro wrote: »
    People walking around with 50+ convictions who's lifestyles are funded by the decent working people's taxes. The same working people that they harass and steal from.

Yeah Dublin's gone to the dogs.

Nice documentary about Irelands pickpockets on tv3 last week...filthy bastards who deliberately target tourists and drunk people because its easier to frighten somebody into giving over thier posessions than it is to work for a living.

Scumbags were bragging how they can steal up to 3000 euro from people withot ever giving a thoughtto why the person was carrying that much money..as far as they were concerned anybody who has money deserves to have it stolen.

The most sickeining thing of all was the fact that the scrotes had thier identity protected as they bragged about thier crimes..Why?

The footage shouldve been handed over to the cops and posters made and put up all over the city centre..bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lol well spotted. My bad!

No could equal not as bad. Would not be very clear though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was in Dublin this past saturday, I was waiting for my mate outside the GPO, and 3 lads came up to me and said 'gimme us a smoke' I said 'no sorry mate' and he was like 'I'l cut your face off you english prick'

So I just said alright then, and walked away. No point escalating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Witnessed a tourist getting his ipad snatched today about noon just off the ha'penny bridge north side, he asked 3 local scumbags to take a photo and one of them ran off with it, I got a kick at him he stumbled but managed to stay on his feet the poor tourist was screaming but no one bothered to try and stop the thief.
    He was very daft for asking what was plain to be seen as local scumbags, most of these hoods hang about these tourist spots looking for easy pickings, so be careful out there.

macadam wrote: »
    Witnessed a tourist getting his ipad snatched today about noon just off the ha'penny bridge north side, he asked 3 local scumbags to take a photo and one of them ran off with it, I got a kick at him he stumbled but managed to stay on his feet the poor tourist was screaming but no one bothered to try and stop the thief.
    He was very daft for asking what was plain to be seen as local scumbags, most of these hoods hang about these tourist spots looking for easy pickings, so be careful out there.

In fairness the tourist wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a scumbag or a normal hard working Irish person, unless they were from the British isles because they do tend to look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We've half a million people unemployed. Instead of paying guards 60 grand a year to stand on street corners, how about we pay some of this half a million 30 grand a year to do the same. I'm sure we would have no shortage of volunteers.

I don't think things have gotten worse, but some stuff has gotten more brazen - whereas I remember in the 80s it was more dangerous because people seemed more desperate. Nowadays the scumbags seem to think they have the run of the place and are more relaxed about what they do (believe it or not).

O'Connell street has become a desperate place. We need less guards propping up the wall at the GPO - but then again they don't command respect from any of the undesirables, so what are they supposed to do?

In most parts of Europe I've been to, you don't see anyone giving backchat to police. Here, the police seem intimidated themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

In fairness the tourist wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a scumbag or a normal hard working Irish person, unless they were from the British isles because they do tend to look the same.

Would the tracksuit and the hood up on the hoodie at 12.30 and it about 20 degrees not make you think??
    Ive been to a good few european cities and different cities in the states and anyone with a bit of cop can see the signs.

macadam wrote: »
    Would the tracksuit and the hood up on the hoodie at 12.30 and it about 20 degrees not make you think??
    Ive been to a good few european cities and different cities in the states and anyone with a bit of cop can see the signs.

To me and you it would, but not in every country is tracksuits and hoodies the mark of a scumbag. Also regardless a tourist or an Irish person should be able to walk around freely without having to worry about having your property stolen by a scumbag probably with numerous convictions.

Ive been offered drugs in one city by a person who to look at I never would have guessed.

hmmm wrote: »
    We've half a million people unemployed. Instead of paying guards 60 grand a year to stand on street corners, how about we pay some of this half a million 30 grand a year to do the same. I'm sure we would have no shortage of volunteers.

I don't think things have gotten worse, but some stuff has gotten more brazen - whereas I remember in the 80s it was more dangerous because people seemed more desperate. Nowadays the scumbags seem to think they have the run of the place and are more relaxed about what they do (believe it or not).

O'Connell street has become a desperate place. We need less guards propping up the wall at the GPO - but then again they don't command respect from any of the undesirables, so what are they supposed to do?

In most parts of Europe I've been to, you don't see anyone giving backchat to police. Here, the police seem intimidated themselves.

But do you not think the reason theGards dont command respect is because the scubags know even if they are arrested and charged they will more than likely never see a jail or at if they do they wont be spending any kind of significant time behind bars?

This thought is also more than likely in the back of the Gards head and could dis hearten them to the point of thinking ah whats the point the lil scrote be back here tomorrow doing the exact thing smiling in my face and rubbing it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

But do you not think the reason theGards dont command respect is because the scubags know even if they are arrested and charged they will more than likely never see a jail or at if they do they wont be spending any kind of significant time behind bars?

This thought is also more than likely in the back of the Gards head and could dis hearten them to the point of thinking ah whats the point the lil scrote be back here tomorrow doing the exact thing smiling in my face and rubbing it in.

Agree 100%
    This is precisely the problem.

Advertisement