Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think contemptible behaviour has increased in Dublin City?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In fairness the tourist wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a scumbag or a normal hard working Irish person, unless they were from the British isles because they do tend to look the same.

I thought that myself tbh but i was walking around Dublin last year with my foreign friend visiting for the weekend and warned him about the type of person that frequents the city centre. We walked up O'Connell street and he asked where were all the junkies? We had passed a ton of them on the way up and he didnt even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Always see tonnes of tourists milling around outside Londis on the corner of Westmoreland Street and Aston Quay,one of the worst area's in the City Centre for drug addicts,agressive begging and open drug dealing imo,but they either seem to be oblivious to it all or they've seen worse in they're home countrys.

The amount of times a day I've been offered heroin,cocaine and yellows and blues there on a daily basis is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Yeah it's very annoying, now that I became a driver and I drive instead of walking around dublin, I don't face these problems, but it's still annoying and sometimes I ran into these.

Was walking once from cinema, 3 junkies (at least looks so), came up to me, 1 of them went past me and two stood in front so I stood sideways to them (I am always paranoid that someone behind may attack me), they said: "here pal right, I will give ye two bags of weed and you lend us a tenner ok? " I said: "thanks no" then they double asked and re-asked I said same thing then they ran off, that was weird. Then I was offered drugs at least 3 times in city centre by just standing on street waiting for friend.

Also I hate this begging stuff, I mean okay when they just sit there and don't say anything or talk, but when they stand in middle of street and call you and show a little note (you would expect obviously it to be a tourist looking for address on piece of paper and you look) so I stopped took paper started reading and it went: "My children and me have been suffering......" I just gave it away and went off, very annoying, I am not sure what's so annoying me about them, just do. How come there is no law or something that if someone just sits all day on streets and begs can't be sent back to their country? (if it's irish then nothing) but I guess it's just the way laws are made.

Another problem I think is young kids/teens acting like vandals always (at least in city centre area), for example: When I open gates to park car or drive out these little vandals just stand in front of gates sensors which blocks gates automatically (if beam is broken it wont close) but if I leave them and walk away someone of them might wander into parking, get locked there by accident cause damage to other cars and I will be the one who will take the blame as notice says "Always wait for gate to close when entering or leaving". Or these literally ****ing bastards (not sure what else to call them) when you walk past them and look at them they say "What ye looking at? " makes me really wanna snap and beat the living **** out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The amount of times a day I've been offered heroin,cocaine and yellows and blues there on a daily basis is ridiculous!
    I'm not being funny but is there any chance you look a bit like a junkie, even a cleaner Renton sort? For all of Dublin's failings, I have never seen drugs being openly hawked to the public in the city centre, whereas I have seen it going on in other European cities.

What the hell are yellows, anyway? Some sort of Benzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I thought that myself tbh but i was walking around Dublin last year with my foreign friend visiting for the weekend and warned him about the type of person that frequents the city centre. We walked up O'Connell street and he asked where were all the junkies? We had passed a ton of them on the way up and he didnt even notice.

Similar experience with my family visiting from abroad. Irish junkies don't look like the junkies where they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't think it has changed but that's just an anecdotal view. I've been going into town for 20+ years and there was always an element of junkie and crime problems and I don;t think it's fundamentally a more dangerous place now although that could be my age too.

Maybe what has changed is technological media: so much more instant online commentary/reporting/discussion on street crime as well as people being able to upload videos of incidents immediately.

Also I guess, people carry a lot more expensive electronic hardware these days: phones, iPods etc so that probably leads to more personal theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Some very interesting points, especially regarding it being anecdotal. Perhaps that is correct when compared to the 80s (I don't have the figures) but the CSO reports all tend to indicate an continued sharp rise in crimes and violent crimes in recent years. It's being attributed to the recession; I could understand so-called "victimless crimes" rising as a result of the recession, but there are very little 'abject poor' in Ireland due to social welfare payments. I do not believe non-violent people on the dole would turn to violent means to obtain a little bit more money - they may engage in "victimless crimes", but they aren't going to attack people on the streets.
    Not to mention, many of these violent crimes are not to the effect of robberies; they are senseless attacks seemingly for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Some very interesting points, especially regarding it being anecdotal. Perhaps that is correct when compared to the 80s (I don't have the figures) but the CSO reports all tend to indicate an continued sharp rise in crimes and violent crimes in recent years. It's being attributed to the recession; I could understand so-called "victimless crimes" rising as a result of the recession, but there are very little 'abject poor' in Ireland due to social welfare payments. I do not believe non-violent people on the dole would turn to violent means to obtain a little bit more money - they may engage in "victimless crimes", but they aren't going to attack people on the streets.
    Not to mention, many of these violent crimes are not to the effect of robberies; they are senseless attacks seemingly for fun.

Yes, an example of this "violent crime for fun" attitude is the murder of Lukasz Rzeszutko in Coolock by 2-3 scumbags who did it for "a buzz" (Their own words).

Last year I remember a 40 something year old man was killed by a gang of teenagers on the ballymun road in the evening outside a pharmacy. Apparently they started with the old "Have you got a smoke" routine and finished by kicking him in the head until he stopped moving. He died in hostpital a short while after.

A friend of mine in Santry had a friend over, who used to cycle everywhere. Afterwards, as he passed by the Towers in Ballymun going home, he was pulled off his bike and beaten. This guy was quiet, decent and timid. Again there was no motive, nothing was stolen. He has been left permanently brain damaged and disabled.

I could go on and on about the violent crimes and murders that occur here (many unreported by the major newspapers). It is a sick and shameful situation to be in, our government won't even acknowledge that there is a problem. Unless your fortunate enough to live in a nice area in Dublin then violent skanger type crime is now an accepted norm.

I see the man accused of 3 stabbings at the Swedesh house mafia gig has been released on bail too, maybe he can fit in a few stabbings before the trail and the inevitable (if guilty) suspended sentence.

I recently had a guy arguing with me saying that there was nothing wrong in Dublin and that he never sees anything, people are just complaining for nothing. I asked where he lived, he says The hill of Howth. That also sums up the attitude by a lot of officials. They don't live in the areas that are badly affected.

I doubt Enda and Shatter have to think carefully about which route they should take to their local shop to avoid the drug dealing gang or the teenagers that are likely to throw a rock at their heads. Maybe I've just been unlucky enough to live in some of the dodgier areas of Dublins Northside.

I actually envy people who live in areas where a park is for walking the dog in and not for teenage drinking. An alleyway is a good shortcut and not a death trap. I grow tired of watching heroin being sold outside my window each day, of teenagers on motorbikes and horses running amok all day, of the late night window smashing, the burnt wheely bins, the streets piled with bin bags as high as cars, the burnt out cars for that matter.

Can't wait to leave Dublin. I've got it set up and will be leaving soon.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Goro wrote: »

Good for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Good for you :rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes? Is it contemptible for you that someone wants to move out of a dodgy area?

Are people who speak out about this sort of thing a joke for you? Read the thread title, I am on topic. Did you just hop in here to sarcastically patronize people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Goro wrote: »
    Yes, an example of this "violent crime for fun" attitude is the murder of Lukasz Rzeszutko in Coolock by 2-3 scumbags who did it for "a buzz" (Their own words).

Last year I remember a 40 something year old man was killed by a gang of teenagers on the ballymun road in the evening outside a pharmacy. Apparently they started with the old "Have you got a smoke" routine and finished by kicking him in the head until he stopped moving. He died in hostpital a short while after.

A friend of mine in Santry had a friend over, who used to cycle everywhere. Afterwards, as he passed by the Towers in Ballymun going home, he was pulled off his bike and beaten. This guy was quiet, decent and timid. Again there was no motive, nothing was stolen. He has been left permanently brain damaged and disabled.

I could go on and on about the violent crimes and murders that occur here (many unreported by the major newspapers). It is a sick and shameful situation to be in, our government won't even acknowledge that there is a problem. Unless your fortunate enough to live in a nice area in Dublin then violent skanger type crime is now an accepted norm.

I see the man accused of 3 stabbings at the Swedesh house mafia gig has been released on bail too, maybe he can fit in a few stabbings before the trail and the inevitable (if guilty) suspended sentence.

I recently had a guy arguing with me saying that there was nothing wrong in Dublin and that he never sees anything, people are just complaining for nothing. I asked where he lived, he says The hill of Howth. That also sums up the attitude by a lot of officials. They don't live in the areas that are badly affected.

I doubt Enda and Shatter have to think carefully about which route they should take to their local shop to avoid the drug dealing gang or the teenagers that are likely to throw a rock at their heads. Maybe I've just been unlucky enough to live in some of the dodgier areas of Dublins Northside.

I actually envy people who live in areas where a park is for walking the dog in and not for teenage drinking. An alleyway is a good shortcut and not a death trap. I grow tired of watching heroin being sold outside my window each day, of teenagers on motorbikes and horses running amok all day, of the late night window smashing, the burnt wheely bins, the streets piled with bin bags as high as cars, the burnt out cars for that matter.

dont forget the polish lad that was murdered by scumbags in drimnagh on dublins southside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This scumbag should never have been released

http://www.herald.ie/news/kinsella-thugs-tried-to-terrify-stab-witnesses-3116322.html
    THE murder trial of one of Ireland's most evil criminals was blighted by terrifying intimidation before he was finally convicted of butchering a man to death.

Associates of Wayne Kinsella tried to intimidate a number of crucial witnesses who gave evidence against the twisted thug who was previously a partner of Scissor Sister Linda Mulhall.

"It was very tense - there was a lot of intimidation. Some of Kinsella's cronies made it very difficult for some of the witnesses.

"It was a situation that gardai had to monitor on a continuing basis no t just in the courtroom but also outside," explained a source. "And it is something that will also need to be looked at in the coming days."

Kinsella (40) was handed a life sentence after a dramatic trial which heard evidence of the savage murder of dad-of-five Adil Essalhi (31) who was stabbed almost 60 times. After the verdict, the now twice-convicted killer turned and taunted Mr Essalhi's friends and family.

With hate-filled eyes, Kinsella shouted: "I guarantee you I'll be back. Your son terrorised me family and all. Does it make you laugh? F**k you!

Earlier in the trial, Wayne Kinsella could be seen sniggering behind his hand when a witness told how she heard him comment that "there's nothing like the smell of a burning body".

He had doused the victim with petrol in a bid to burn the body of Mr Essalhi who was stabbed 58 times in the head, neck and arms with a machete-type weapon and a knife.

At the centre of the case was Kinsella's unfounded accusation that Mr Essalhi was involved in the murder of his brother Lee who was shot dead through the living room window of his family home on Rathoath Avenue, Finglas, on May 8, 2006, 18 months after a confrontation with car thieves.

Gardai do not believe that Mr Essalhi was involved in the murder.

This was not the first time that Kinsella has been convicted of a killing. The first person he is known to have killed was 86-year-old Thomas Forman - a retired auctioneer who was tending to his wife's grave in Glasnevin Cemetery on September 23, 1995, when he was mugged by the brutish criminal.

The victim had spent every Saturday for 21 years visiting the grave where his wife Ellen and their first child, a baby boy, were buried.

Kinsella, then aged 21, was jailed for eight years for manslaughter. The court heard he had smoked hash and took acid since he was 12.

Judge Cyril Kelly warned: "Unless this man is psychiatrically and psychologically treated while in custody he will remain a danger to society."

He was also jailed earlier by Judge Kelly for four-and-a-half years for robbing three bus drivers at knifepoint.

On July 30, 2004, the horror story of how he beat three young children with a belt and an electrical flex leaving them with multiple injuries was related in court.

He blamed them for their mother losing his baby. He pleaded guilty to three counts of cruelty to the children.

The bail ands sentencing laws in this country are a joke and career scumbags are aware of the fact.

Advertisement