Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay-as-you-go Electric meters

Options
  • 04-08-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I've been flat hunting and have found one I like but it has pay-as-you-go meters, there's two of them, one at night-time rate for storage heaters and water in taps, which you top up with €5 cards and the other is at the day time rate, for the heaters in the bedroom which you can turn on and off as you wish and lights etc (I think) at a cost of €10. I'm really confused by the whole idea, am I going to be paying more than normal? The landlord says there's an emergency amount to ensure I wouldn't have to endure a power cut but how long would that last for? Really, really confused but if it works out the same and saves me the horror of a big bill every 2 months. Does anyone else have them? Should I just steer clear of them? Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

depends what rate they're set at? knowing landlords it won't be cheap:confused:

can you find out?

the night meter will be at a cheaper rate for the storage heating and water heating

i haven't heard of emergency units built into meters before_maybe someone else has?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chipmeister

Hey Tony,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah the storage heaters and water in taps are on night rate, everything else day rate. Shower is included in day rate i think as it's an electric one not immersion. She said she had an emergency credit of €5 on each and that when I next put in the card what I'd used of the emergency credit would be taken. I don't know it's really strange, I'm just terrified that I'll be paying for the previous tenant in some way or is that just silly?

Does anyone have experience of them, or how much they'd cost per week in cards??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i don't
    depends what they're set at compared to esb unit charges

but assuming the landlord is paying for dual tarriff and he's splitting this into two pay meters

he's getting an additional bonus for himself(as well as the mark-up on the units) as you're only getting storage heating and water heating at night on the cheaper rate while he get's the lot on the cheaper rate at nite:)

Advertisement