Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't seem to get broadband and a monitored alarm...

Options
  • 04-08-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Can anyone help please?

We have a HKC alarm, and receive texts to our phones if alarm goes off.
    This was set up by our electrician. All great.

However, we also have broadband with Magnet and telephone with Magnet. Since Magnet broadband was installed many months ago, we have had severe issues with the service dropping.

Magnet advised us to make sure our internal wiring was ok - paid electrician to do this. Problem continued.

Magnet sent us new equipment. Problem continued.

Finally they told us that they could see that our service was dropping a minimum of 5 times a day and therefore concluded there had to be an issue with the Eircom line. So an Eircom engineer came out, tested the line and told us there is no problem with the Eircom line. He did mention however that its not possible to have a monitored alarm as well as broadband, as the monitored alarm take up the telephone line required for the broadband, and he said this may account for why our service continues to drop.

Magnet have told us they can do no more. They never even sent someone out to us, which is atrocious service, but thats another story.
    Looked into moving to UPC and have been told we need to have a GSM card in order to have broadband and monitored alarm with them. We don't want to get a GSM card as not entirely convinced of their security (jammers etc).

The Eircom Engineer advised going with Eircom and getting phonewatch but we don't want to sign up to this.

Can ANYONE advise how we can have a functioning alarm which texts us when it goes off, and at the same time have broadband which doesn't keep dropping off?

Live in Dublin 15 and desperate.

Thanks.

Balooba.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are all talking rubbish saying you can't have a monitored alarm & broadband on the same line. If they are blaming the alarm on your poor service then disconnect the alarm for a few days to see if anything improves.
    The ability to text is a separate issue. Text via landlines (which is what your HKC digi uses) is only really possible on Eircom lines . I have never seen it set up with Magnet , so I'm not sure if there is billing agreements in place there to allow them use Eircom message centres.
    If you switch to UPC etc you would need to change to a voice dialler as text would not be possible on their lines either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Of course he'd recommend phonewatch.
    You're right about the gsm.
    You just need a DSL filter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is there a DSL filter on the line?

Koolkid is right, you can have an alarm on a line with broadband. What they are saying is bull.

I know Vodafone and Eircom landline customers can send texts. If the alarm is set off, do you get a text? Edit: Although Eircom own the PSTN, if you have a landline service with digiweb for example, you may not be able to text from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Balooba

Thanks for all that info....looking into it further and will see if turning off alarm affects service.

Will update on what happens.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

More eircom bullsh*t :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Balooba wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info....looking into it further and will see if turning off alarm affects service.

B

Whet you need to do is physically disconnect the phone line from the alarm so they can't blame that in any shape or form.

if the alarm doesn't have a filter would it not disconnect the broadband while doing line tests and communicating with the monitoring station ??

It would if it has priority over the modem. The alarm always gets blamed first. Its best to disconnect it to eliminate it as the cause.

But it seems as though the alarm is the cause . If the alarm was installed first and then the broadband it seems very likely that the alarm has no filter . ¿¿¿

If the line is running to the alarm first before the router it would only cause disconnects when its making a call . When the alarm is idle its just like an extra few meters of cable onto the feed into the modem. I ran mine for years like that without any issues.

• Advertisement

How often would the alarm make a test call ? I was convinced they seize the line a few times per day as a self test

Every 24 hours is the norm. And I would normally set it for during the night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

How do they get away with it :eek:
    A monitored alarm does need a filter other wise it can interfere with the broadband. I am very surprised by the response you are receiving from them.

Advertisement