Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Guest - Looking for a Suit..

• 04-08-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help from all of you fashion conscious and knowledgable Boardsies out there..

I have been invited to the wedding of a cousin (it's next week!) and I'm looking for some advice on buying a suit.

First of all, I have lost some weight recently, so the majority of clothes I own no longer fit me. Obviously, I am thrilled about the weight loss, but replacing ones entire wardrobe can be costly.. :)

I have checked old threads on this forum and picked up some useful tips, but I could still do with some info. Basically, I'm looking for something fashionable on a budget. I intend to lose more weight, so don't want to overdo it on something which I'll probably only wear once! That said, I would rather spend some money and buy something nice that I feel comfortable in, than buying something cheap and looking like a tool...

I'm thinking maximum €300 inc. shoes, which I'm also going to buy.. Shoes can be used for work, so don't mind spending a little extra on those if needs be..

Also - I was considering something grey..

So if ye can offer any advice on something suitable for a wedding, I would be forever in your debt..

Thanks,

LTIE.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Where are you located OP? My suggestions are in Dublin:

Get thee to The Suitable Company on Drury Street. They have a good range and good price points, probably have a sale on at the moment too. Fairly certain my OH's last suit was in around €250, with alterations included.

There's a number of suit shops on Dawson Street as well, such as Baulmer. Worth a look in all of them, especially as there are probably sales on.

Grey is a great colour, and can be brightened up for a summer look. A white shirt plus a coloured tie and pocket square will look well. Pale pink, blue and lilac also look nice with grey.

TK Maxx, Clark's, and Aldo are good for shoes.

You'd want to get looking ASAP as alterations may need to be made to ensure a good fit. When you go in, tell the sales staff what you like, what you don't, and where you're willing to compromise!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Laser TechnologyIE

Hi Twee,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I should have said in my first post, but I'm based in South Dublin - so your advice is perfect. Thanks! :)

I have left it to the last minute, (as usual) but I'm going shopping tomorrow and Monday so want to get it done by then.

Will check out your suggestions.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Cheers

LTIE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Marks & Spencers can do great suits on a bit more of a budget, and they hold up relatively well.

Hi baby and crumble,

Thank you for taking the time to post - will check out M&S (wouldn't have thought of that in a million years).

Possibly a silly question, but is there any material that's preferable/better quality or any I should avoid?

Thanks

CTIE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Hi baby and crumble,

Thank you for taking the time to post - will check out M&S (wouldn't have thought of that in a million years).

Possibly a silly question, but is there any material that's preferable/better quality or any I should avoid?

Thanks

CTIE.
    Avoid polyester like the plague. Ever see the shiny, stiff looking suits sold in Penneys, Burton and the likes? That stuff.

You want 100% wool, nothing else unless you're going for a more casual linen suit.

That said, the places Twee recommended will have the right material and will sort you out.

I'd also second the M&S recommendation, good range of suits for reasonable prices and they let you mix and match jacket and trouser sizes, which could be important for someone like yourself who has lost weight.

• Advertisement

That's more great advice - thanks Sugar Free!

Glad I posted here now - I'm a helluva lot wiser than I was an hour ago..

As I mentioned in my first post I'm still a bit overweight.. Should I avoid slimmer fitting suits - I do have a thing about clothes that are too baggy, but also want to maintain some dignity.. :D

Is there a regular fit thats somewhere in between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you still have a bit of weight on, then make sure you don't go with something too big- it'll make you look a lot lot bigger.

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/12454/dressing-your-body-type-tips-for-heavier-guys-featuring-sergio-arteaga/

That link has some decent advice for a larger guy (I don't know what size you are OP, I'm just going by what you've said in your posts), keep it simple and well fitting (not tight or billowing) and you can't go wrong. Budget in some money for alterations- it'll make a world of difference, the right adjustments can make a €150 suit look a hell of a lot more. M&S do allow you to mix the sizes of your separates as another poster said, and they offer an on-site alterations service as far as I know.

Oh, and try and make sure your shirt is also fitted well- nothing adds weight like a billowing shirt with long sleeves, and let's be honest- you won't have your jacket on all the time!!

Oh, and as for shoes, I'd recommend popping into TK MAxx in the Green if you can- they have some lovely mens formal shoes in there, very good hardwearing brands in styles like oxfords and brogues for well less than €100, which is pretty good- some are as little as €50, which is a steal. I'd personally vote for brown because I think they're a bit more versatile and set you apart a bit from all the other guys with black shoes. Plus when you're a bit heavier, good details can take the focus away from your main body core and out into the limbs and extremities, which draws the eye out.

Best of luck OP!

Advertisement