Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Rimfire ammo prices suddenly gone up?

Options
  • 04-08-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

From 2007 to now the Price I've come to expect when it comes to
    HMR ammo has always been 16-17 Euros per box of 50.
    (I never saw price differences between the 17grain and 20grain)

With Hornady performing better and cheaper than Remington. For some reason when looking at some prices now it seems Remington is now more expensive than hornady.

Anyway Last week at Midlands I was able to buy a box of HMR ammo from for 17 Euros (Hornady). This morning when going to the Local store in Limerick I was a little Shocked that I had to pay 25 Euros per box of Remington.

The last year or so I had been using ammo I had in storage so was not
    actively keeping an eye on prices.
    Wondering has Rimfire Ammo gone up a lot recently ? Is it Just the Remington Brand ? I noticed on Duffy's website
    the Remington Ammo has risen to 20.33 while the Hornady is still 17.23

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's worth remembering that it's all branding. Every single round of .17HMR is made by CCI and it's just a question of what batch goes to what manufacturer. Prices after that will depend on manufacturer/importer/shipping/dealer arrangements and relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I pay 15 euro for remy, hornady and hornday 20gr. Hornady 17gr can also cost 14 euro if i travel.

Remy performs best for me so that's what I go for.

CCI claim all the 17gr ammo of all the brands are made in their factory on the same lines with the same powder, with the same tip and same bullet so you are just paying for the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Euro has collapsed. Anything imported from Australia or the US will be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Looks like I will have to travel outside of my county to get a more "Normal" price which is a shame as I would rather support a local business.

As much as my loyalty would be to support a local business I think
    there is a line (price wise) that needs to be crossed when you gotta ask yourself if traveling will get you better value.
    I was all set to buy as much ammo as my license would allow this morning
    but the sudden jolt in price was a little too shocking for my tastes.

I would have thought if prices in ammo would go up it would affect both
    center fire ammo and rimfire uniformly. Its pretty surprising when the
    price of Rimfire ammo can equal Centerfire in some cases.
    (A box of .223 center fire is roughly the same price as .17 rimfire Limerick pricewise and I was told there was .243 cheaper than the .17hmr)

With regards to CCI making all HMR ammo I could be completely wrong but
    I thought I read before that CCI "Loaded" all HMR ammo meaning they would have different Brass, Heads and Powder from different manufactures and assembled the rounds. Resulting in different price and performance
    across the brand names, Which would be a little different than if CCI just made everything and just let other company's stick their label on their Brand on the exact same product.

Surely If CCI were claiming to be using same Head, Powder and Cases
    for everything 17grain that there would be no difference across the brands.

yet......
    I know Remington Branded ammo's in my rifle causes split necks right down to the shoulder of the case and the necks appear very dirty after fireing. Same with Federal, I think(but might be mistaken) CCI branded as CCI TNT??? itself too had the same issues. The actual Brand Hornady what happens usually for me is the first shot from the rifle causes a split neck (might be caused by having cleaned and oiled the gun a little too much) and
    all other round fire after that have no split necks. Have also found groupings with Hornady compared to other brands I've tried are tighter.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I an confirm that Bullets...I was in "our local" today.As usual has nothing,and "will have it by Thursday":rolleyes: But yes the Remmie brand has gone up as wellin price for the .22 magnums.100 was 13.99 now its 16.99
    TBH shopping around is now the only option around the Limerick area.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

Would the powder count as the same components?

As for the rimfire been more expensive than centre fire.. A box of remy rimfire is say 15-22euro for 50... In the .243 a box of remy soft points are 20-30 for a box of 20...
    Yet to see rimfire bullets for sale that works out more expensive than a centrefire shot for shot.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I an confirm that Bullets...I was in "our local" today.As usual has nothing,and "will have it by Thursday":rolleyes: But yes the Remmie brand has gone up as wellin price for the .22 magnums.100 was 13.99 now its 16.99
    TBH shopping around is now the only option around the Limerick area.

16.99 is very good for 100 .22wmr rounds.. where are you getting that? 12-14 around here for 50 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

bullets wrote: »
    From 2007 to now the Price I've come to expect when it comes to
    HMR ammo has always been 16-17 Euros per box of 50.
    (I never saw price differences between the 17grain and 20grain)

With Hornady performing better and cheaper than Remington. For some reason when looking at some prices now it seems Remington is now more expensive than hornady.

Anyway Last week at Midlands I was able to buy a box of HMR ammo from for 17 Euros (Hornady). This morning when going to the Local store in Limerick I was a little Shocked that I had to pay 25 Euros per box of Remington.

The last year or so I had been using ammo I had in storage so was not
    actively keeping an eye on prices.
    Wondering has Rimfire Ammo gone up a lot recently ? Is it Just the Remington Brand ? I noticed on Duffy's website
    the Remington Ammo has risen to 20.33 while the Hornady is still 17.23

~B

Have you tried the lad on Main Street in Croom he is doing ammo now and seems to be reasonable in price. You can pm me for his number if any one wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

garv123 wrote: »
    16.99 is very good for 100 .22wmr rounds.. where are you getting that? 12-14 around here for 50 I think.

MY Bad!!:o:o That should have been for a box of 50!:o

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

This place is pretty good price wise , http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition.html?calibre=628

€12.99 for box of 50 wmr , but its a fiver for postage but if buying in bulk seems reasonable . Haven't bougth off them yet but i have read on this some good reviews regarding delivery times

This place is pretty good price wise , http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition.html?calibre=628

€12.99 for box of 50 wmr , but its a fiver for postage but if buying in bulk seems reasonable . Haven't bougth off them yet but i have read on this some good reviews regarding delivery times

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/remington-premier-magnum-rimfire-22-win-mag-ballistic.html

Youd think they would use a pic of the ammo instead of the .17 hmr v-max pic:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Griz and Bullets - try Anglers Curse outside in Croom and see what he can do for ya. He's normally very amenable. John's his name btw.

http://www.anglerscurse.com/
    info@anglerscurse.com

Advertisement