Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf caddie car battery packs up

Options
  • 04-08-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

The battery to a caddie car packs up two weeks outside its 12 month warranty, and is brought back to the place of purchase with receipts, to be told nothing can be done and a new battery will have to be purchased.

I was under the impression that there was 2 year warranty on purchases in this country? am I wrong?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

12 Months warranty unless manufacturer states otherwise.
    A battery could last 2 weeks and could last a few years it's one thing you never know when will go same for car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

A battery could last 2 weeks and could last a few years it's one thing you never know when will go same for car
    No, it should last a reasonable time (up to six years).
    With a battery it can be tricky, as much depends on how often you used it, how it was stored in between. Does the user manual say anything about how long the battery should last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

12 months - What most manufacturers give as a guarantee They are perfectly entitled to do this. Your contract is with the seller!

2 Years - The European directive sent out to all EU member states telling them that all claims under consumer legislation must have a statute of limitations of at least 2 years.

6 Years - The statute of limitations on this in Ireland since about 60/70s (IIRC) so the above didn't apply.

How one blokes bull over a pint in the pub has become know as fact to so many people escapes me but there we go :D

What you buy has to last a reasonable time. That mean what the reasonable man would consider right for a particular thing. That can mean that the retailer gets stuck with footing the bill because a manufacturer may only give 12 months. Thats not your problem. That said - batteries are alway contentious. Once you've made sure you haven't broken it (as most battery failures are user error) pay the €25 and get ye down to the Small Claims Court. Surprised you didn't bump into a Judge or two on the pitch or whatever it's called to be honest. :)

To clarify that statute of limitations is how long you have to make a claim it take no part in the consideration of what is 'reasonable'. Most people also don;t realise the SoL allows a Judge to bar (prevent) the claim under the SoL even though its within the six years if there has been unreasonable delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

as iv absolutly no knowledge of golf or caddies I just googled ''golf caddie battery average lifespan''
    Now I know not everything on internet is true but looking at the first couple of pages there is no exact lifespan for a caddie battery in fact in more than one occasion it states lifespan can be from several months to several years...again not specific
    Op what im getting at is,a battery can be considered as a consumable part of the product. ie it will go at some stage...who's to decide how long it should last I dont know,but I would get in contact with the company just to see what they have to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I suspect it would not be hard to prove that a vehicle battery should reasonably last several years...

• Advertisement

You don't have to prove it to be fair. The onus is on them to prove that it was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

From experience, those batteries will last a long time if they are used correctly, they have to be recharged after every round (assuming 18 battery) and never left to discharge completely for a long time (over a few days), does your charger have the trickle function?
    These batteries can develop faults and most good golf shops cant test them (or send it away to be tested), i would check to make sure the battery isn't faulty, in which case you have the right to expect a replacement, warranty or no warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Thanks for the replies, a new battery was purchased from a different seller. I will think we will call this one a lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What was learned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

TheChizler wrote: »
    What was learned?

What I have learned from this? Don't believe the sales staff when they say there is nothing they can do on the matter.

The shop has learned that for the sack of a 100+ euro battery they have lost one costumer, and possible more.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Batteries are tricky. If a battery is let discharge fully or just not used for a while it will become less effective or stop working altogether. They require maintenance by the user, nothing can change that its simply how they work. This should have been explained to you when you bought it.

Oryx wrote: »
    Batteries are tricky. If a battery is let discharge fully or just not used for a while it will become less effective or stop working altogether. They require maintenance by the user, nothing can change that its simply how they work. This should have been explained to you when you bought it.

Thats not an issue of Li-ion batteries - quite the opposite in fact. That said I have no idea what type of batteries are in a golf cart or what ever this thing was.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats not an issue of Li-ion batteries - quite the opposite in fact. That said I have no idea what type of batteries are in a golf cart or what ever this thing was.
    Those type of batteries are not often used in vehicles as they are more expensive. Commonly they are lead acid or gel type maintenance free batteries*

*a misnomer. Simply means they do not need to be topped up with water.

Advertisement