Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on food every week?

• 04-08-2012 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I could easily spend £50 on food, just for myself, in a week. That's cooking every night and bringing my own lunch. Food is more expensive in Britain (and worse quality) than back home and it seems like a lot to be spending.

I'd typically live off £100/week for food and petrol and misc. items. £40/week on petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Approximately €120-€150 a week for two adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

God I totally disagree! I live in London and think food is much cheaper and better quality! Even the way most shops have fairly extensive fruit outside that is cheaper than home and way fresher imo. I'd spend £40-50 on groceries and lunch out and then whatever dinners out I may have on top of that. Plus sweets!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Makes me feel better about what I spend. :)

I always have some form of meat or fish for dinner which definitely makes up the bulk of the cost. I could make bolognese or shepherd's pie or something like that but the quality of mince meat in Britain is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Can't believe the supermarkets over there are more expensive, you can easily be stung for €40 plus from Tesco here for not much of a shop, moving to the UK soon and the expense of stuff here is one thing I won't be missing.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Makes me feel better about what I spend. :)

I always have some form of meat or fish for dinner which definitely makes up the bulk of the cost. I could make bolognese or shepherd's pie or something like that but the quality of mince meat in Britain is ****e.
    I could probably spend less but I rarely use frozen foods or refuse to buy crap meat.
    Eating good quality fresh food is important.

• Advertisement

borabora wrote: »
    God I totally disagree! I live in London and think food is much cheaper and better quality! Even the way most shops have fairly extensive fruit outside that is cheaper than home and way fresher imo. I'd spend £40-50 on groceries and lunch out and then whatever dinners out I may have on top of that. Plus sweets!

Where do you shop? Since I've been here I've tried Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco, LIDL. Not impressed with meat in any of them, worse cuts and more expensive than back home. The price of fish is ridiculous. Fruit is cheaper in Ireland as well I've found. I was looking at Dunnes special offers the last time I was home, I'd probably knock at least a third off my food bill shopping there.

I could probably spend less but I rarely use frozen foods or refuse to buy crap meat.
    Eating good quality fresh food is important.
    Totally agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

about 30 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Whatever it costs to feed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We'd spend around 100 Euros a week for 2 adults and 4 cats.
    Around 70 Euros, if you're just looking at us 2 humans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Usually send around 30-35e for myself a week depending on what i need but that's excluding the sneaky curry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I suppose a hundred or maybe more for the two of us... No ready meals just fresh cooking. I have noticed since we've had the compast bin how much food we waste. Must start making smaller portions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'd say maybe 20 quid? Sometimes I forget to eat for days. Eating is overrated, you only end up sh**ing it out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

€80 feeds 2 adults, 1 baby, 3 dogs & a cat :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

:eek: I couldn't spend 150e on food if i tryed

i would say 30-40e would be normal for me.

in college that could be 10-20

I'd say maybe 20 quid? Sometimes I forget to eat for days. Eating is overrated, you only end up sh**ing it out anyway.
    Who forgets to eat food???

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Who forgets to eat food???

Marshbaboons apparently:rolleyes:

Marshbaboons apparently:rolleyes:

They'll have me on the concern ad next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Well you end up losing the fluids you drink through sweat and urine, so I suppose I shouldn't bother drinking. Staying hydrated is overrated.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well you end up losing the fluids you drink through sweat and urine, so I suppose I shouldn't bother drinking. Staying hydrated is overrated.

Exactly!

Around €300 per week for 2 adults and 5 kids. Does not include occasional take-aways or food for the dog and 2 cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

some weeks about 40. other weeks 60+. depends on what food i want really. If I want to cook a decent sunday dinner, than that alone costs 15 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Yup same here , just the two of us though that probably includes cleaning detergents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I used to spend the bones of €150 p.w on food for 2 adults 2 kids (one teenager) and 2 dogs. But had to put a stop to that and now I spend about €70-€80 in aldi, €20 in the butcher. Then maybe once a month I go to dunnes for things I can't get in aldi and spend maybe €100. So I've cut about €150 a month off my bill.

We eat everything fresh and no frozen foods, so I don't think thats too bad. It amazing what you can save when you put your mind to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Around €150 for 2 adults, 4 children and 2 cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ArtyC wrote: »
    I suppose a hundred or maybe more for the two of us... No ready meals just fresh cooking. I have noticed since we've had the compast bin how much food we waste. Must start making smaller portions

I find it hard to believe but apparently 30% of all food bought in Ireland is thrown away without being eaten. I presume none of the households struggling to pay their mortgages could afford to indulge in this sort of waste so the percentage must be significantly higher in other households.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/0919/1224304347447.html

I find it hard to believe but apparently 30% of all food bought in Ireland is thrown away without being eaten. I presume none of the households struggling to pay their mortgages could afford to indulge in this sort of waste so the percentage must be significantly higher in other households.

There's no excuse to be throwing out old food, that's what Irish stew was invented for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

40-50 euro a week, with just me to feed. I eat home-cooked healthy meals and lunches.

If I was buying lunch in work every day, you'd be talking 20-25 euro a week. Making my own, I wouldn't even spend half that. So, by making my own lunches, it's healthier and I save money.

ArtyC wrote: »

I used to be a hoor for throwing out food. So instead of doing a big weekly shop where I pick up things I don't need only to dump them, I now shop day to day for food.
    I'm saving a fortune since I started doing it. It takes a bit more effort but everything is fresh & I spend less.
    When I think of the waste I used to have I cringe with embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

2 adults, 2 kids, 180 to 220 a week, at least half of it in Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Around €300 per week for 2 adults and 5 kids. Does not include occasional take-aways or food for the dog and 2 cats.
    galwayrush wrote: »
    2 adults, 2 kids, 180 to 220 a week, at least half of it in Aldi.

Seriously what are you guys eating in order to spend that much. I rarely if ever buy frozen food, get the vast majority of my meat from the butchers, fish from a proper fishmongers etc... cook most days might eat out on a Friday or Saturday and still only spend about £100 for two weeks shopping for two adults. Now I do like to bring my own lunch to work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to be a hoor for throwing out food. So instead of doing a big weekly shop where I pick up things I don't need only to dump them, I now shop day to day for food.
    I'm saving a fortune since I started doing it. It takes a bit more effort but everything is fresh & I spend less.
    When I think of the waste I used to have I cringe with embarrassment.

I used to do the day-by-day shopping, mostly because this was how I had grown up, as it was too heavy to carry a full weekly shop home.
    I've changed that somewhat, owning a car now. We do big shops, mostly for cupboard essntials and food with a long shelf-life, which allows us to take advantage of bargains and bulk-buying.
    But I will also shop for frsh fruit and vegetables every other day or so, depending on what I'll be cooking.
    We're both vegetarians, which does save us a good bit of money, too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

About 5 - €8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

Probably 60- 70 a week for two of us (but prob another 5-10 on milk and bits during week).
    That doesn't include lunches and I bake so make own bread/treats.
    Buy toiletries seperately in favourite chemist.
    Try and buy specials in bulk and freeze like salmon etc. We never seem to waste much as I write a list and stick to eat. Never have a takeaway as don't like them. Also alternate every other week between aldi and a do a 'brand shop' in Tesco the following week.
    We eat well for that now but I am a bargain hunter :D Also freeze meals so make enough for four and some nights glad of the ready meal (steak mince bolognese etc).

Meat/Fish £21
    Fruit £4
    Milk £2
    Yoghurt £3
    Veg £4
    Biscuits £1
    Cereal £1
    Rice/Spuds £2
    Cream Crackers £1
    Sauce £3

Not a comprehensive or exact list, but that's £42 racked up fairly easily. One of my colleagues spends just £25/week on food for herself. Another one feeds himself, his wife and two kids for less than £50 shopping in Aldi. Maybe I need to buy a large piece of meat and have it over two days. Or else find a decent quality mince meat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Nothing, I'm a Freegan.

I virtually live in the lane at the back of the Gresham, good pickings.

• Advertisement

Meat/Fish £21
    Fruit £4
    Milk £2
    Yoghurt £3
    Veg £4
    Biscuits £1
    Cereal £1
    Rice/Spuds £2
    Cream Crackers £1
    Sauce £3

Not a comprehensive or exact list, but that's £42 racked up fairly easily. One of my colleagues spends just £25/week on food for herself. Another one feeds himself, his wife and two kids for less than £50 shopping in Aldi. Maybe I need to buy a large piece of meat and have it over two days.

Or eat less meat.

Or eat less meat.
    I'm not going to starve myself to save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Seriously what are you guys eating in order to spend that much. I rarely if ever buy frozen food, get the vast majority of my meat from the butchers, fish from a proper fishmongers etc... cook most days might eat out on a Friday or Saturday and still only spend about £100 for two weeks shopping for two adults. Now I do like to bring my own lunch to work though.
    what do ye live on, Pot Noodle?. 100 for two weeks?

I'm not going to starve myself to save a few bob.

Obviously you replace the meat with something else. But yea, something like a whole chicken can go a very long way if you can cook. There's a hell of a lot of meat & then you've got a lovely stock out of what's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Im a student and last year if times were reeeeally hard, we'd buy half a dozen eggs and maybe 2 chicken breasts if they were on offer to do us the week, so about 6 quid altogether! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

About 60-100 euro a week for 2 adults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

200 australian dollars a week id say for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

About 70-8- euro in aldi does the job . Great value .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

About €200 a week in Lidl on food for 2 slim adults :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

About NZ$50 a week at the supermarket. Only cook about twice a week. Rest of the days I eat out, so prob $100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

About €50, €60 at most for two adults.

We don't eat much meat, maybe once a week at most, so I suppose that's why we don't spend a lot. We mainly eat freshly cooked meals, I'm very diligent when it comes to weekly meal planning. This includes our lunches if its during the college term, too.

We eat a lot of stir fry and pasta which is cheaper than having meat and two veg every day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    About €50, €60 at most for two adults.

We don't eat much meat, maybe once a week at most, so I suppose that's why we don't spend a lot. We mainly eat freshly cooked meals, I'm very diligent when it comes to weekly meal planning. This includes our lunches if its during the college term, too.

We eat a lot of stir fry and pasta which is cheaper than having meat and two veg every day.

Sounds identical to my week but without college. 60 at most for 2 of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

€120 per week for 2 adults.
    €50 in lidl on cereals, dairy, fruit, veg, breads, ham etc.
    €40 in the butchers (we eat meat every day)
    €20 in centra on branded products I refuse to buy from lidl (batchellors peas, uncle bens rice etc)
    Then maybe €10 in our local shop for milk and bread during the week.
    We always bring our lunches to work from home and eat well. I just don't see how you can do it for any less. I'm shocked that some people can feed a family of 4 for this amount. HOW DO YOU DO IT??!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just spent €15 for the majority of the weeks food, hopefully I'll be able to keep the total below the €20 again this week once milk, bread and cereal is looked after.

• Pottler wrote: »
    what do ye live on, Pot Noodle?. 100 for two weeks?

You think you need to live on Pot Noodle to spend 100 for two weeks? What do you eat?

My BF and I spend around £25 a week on food in Aldi and that provides most of what we need for cooking at home. Bag of pasta, bag of rice, loaf of bread, tinned tomatoes, loads of fruit and veg, butter, biscuits, chocolate, crisps. We usually get a couple of salmon fillets during the week, which cost about £4 and some sausages or mincemeat for about £3. The meat usually stretches to two meals. So that's £32 between us or £16 each for home cooked dinners for the week.

I used to make sandwiches to bring into work, which probably cost another £5-10 a week for ingredients, but now we have quite a good canteen, so I get a nice salad and bread for about £3 or filled jacket potato for £2, which comes to about £15 a week on lunches. For breakfast, I have cereal, which costs about £2 a box and £1 for the milk for it and lasts at least a week. So that's under £35 a week on food and I eat pretty well and healthily.

I treated myself this week and ended up going out to eat three times. Korean food on Wednesday (£12 for my stuff - big stew and rice and shared starter), Vietnamese on Thursday (£16 including a glass of wine) and Mexican on Friday (£22 including a cocktail). That still comes in at well under £100 for the week, eating really well and sadly wasting some of the veg we bought because ended up going out to eat instead of staying in as planned. That's being extravagant - £35 is more than enough to eat well on without going to restaurants. I have no idea how some people manage to spend over twice that every week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement