Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on food every week?

2»

Comments

• Lima Golf wrote: »
    €120 per week for 2 adults.
    €50 in lidl on cereals, dairy, fruit, veg, breads, ham etc.
    €40 in the butchers (we eat meat every day)
    €20 in centra on branded products I refuse to buy from lidl (batchellors peas, uncle bens rice etc)
    Then maybe €10 in our local shop for milk and bread during the week.
    We always bring our lunches to work from home and eat well. I just don't see how you can do it for any less. I'm shocked that some people can feed a family of 4 for this amount. HOW DO YOU DO IT??!!! :)

By not wasting money on name brand products and shopping in Centra. Seriously, Uncle Ben's rice? How is that any nicer than Lidl rice? You're throwing away 20 quid a week because of brand snobbery. 40 quid sounds like an extortionate amount to spend on meat, even if you eat it every day and have steaks for Sunday lunch. Could you not make some of the meat stretch over two or more days?

I didn't shop like you even during the boom times. You might as well be flushing money down the toilet, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

182 euro a week for me alone,i eat out alot and only buy the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

182 euro a week for me alone,i eat out alot and only buy the best
    There is always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

€30 a week for me.

I am saving for a course, so it is not by choice that is that low, but needs must.

I miss the old days of tiger prawns and steak...but they'll be back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

90 - 100 for two adults,eat well vast majority fresh produce, toiletries included in that price.
    Shop mainly in Aldi,get a lot of meat in Dunnes,fish etc.
    I used to shop only in Dumnes only and it was costing us 150 a week easily.
    Used to use lidl but found their veg had a short shelf life.
    The difference since changing to Aldi has been good,I like most of there stuff.
    If we can we shop at a local market,try some of the oriental shops etc but 100 is more than enough for us and I graze like a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

2 adult household roughly 40 -60 a week

Eat meat 4 days a week, pasta dishes, do all my shopping in aldi as i really dont see any difference in the quality of their products.
    Plus their fruit and veg are hugely cheaper than dunnes , tescos, superquinn.

2 * chicken kievs in aldi are 1.99
    4 beef burgers 1.99
    4 chicken burgers 1.99
    pasta large bag 70 cents...How can ya argue with value like that

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

After bills and petrol, I'm left with €5 a week. That goes on food. It's amazing how tolerant you can become of beans and rice for lunch/dinner and porridge for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hippy_hi

For one adult and two kids, about €80-100 per week depending on what is needed...how many dinners left in the freezer etc

and please everyone feed yourselves!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

100 quid for 2 adults and 2 children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I spend about 60 euro on food each week. I buy a lot of meat, and now fish.

Eating healthy lately and its paying off so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    About €50, €60 at most for two adults.

We don't eat much meat, maybe once a week at most, so I suppose that's why we don't spend a lot. We mainly eat freshly cooked meals, I'm very diligent when it comes to weekly meal planning. This includes our lunches if its during the college term, too.

We eat a lot of stir fry and pasta which is cheaper than having meat and two veg every day.

Meat is a funny thing...chicken breasts can be so expensive....but ham and beef you can get really good deals on and make a few meals out of them. I usually go to the local butcher for chicken.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

About €50-€60 for 2 adults per week. Most shopping done in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Between 40 and 50 euro a week usually for just myself.
    I bring my own lunch to work as well, some of the guys buy breakfast rolls everyday and they are a total rip off as well as being heart attack food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

dd972 wrote: »
    Can't believe the supermarkets over there are more expensive, you can easily be stung for €40 plus from Tesco here for not much of a shop, moving to the UK soon and the expense of stuff here is one thing I won't be missing.

Depends. If you live relatively central in London then you could be quite far away from the nearest supermarket.

borabora wrote: »
    God I totally disagree! I live in London and think food is much cheaper and better quality! Even the way most shops have fairly extensive fruit outside that is cheaper than home and way fresher imo. I'd spend £40-50 on groceries and lunch out and then whatever dinners out I may have on top of that. Plus sweets!

I lived in the UK for 3 years , and the food is def not more superior, the meat is no were near as good as the meat here , plus with the likes of M&S and waitrose on every corner made it very difficult to live off a weekly food budget, i spent nearly £80 a week just for myself , i lived in central london and was extremly difficultto find a cheap alternative ended up havingto travel to wimbledon once a week to get a decent amount of food for a reasonable choice i also found a shop there that sold the evening Herald and John player blue , just a little taste of home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Wow some people spend a lot of money on food.

We buy nearly all fresh food and cook at home. We ( 2 Adults ) eat very healthy for about €40 - €60 a week in Aldi/Tesco's/Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Somewhere between 10 and 15! Student lifestyle is tough! :P

Usually I'd just buy a fair bit of fruit and veg in Aldi (their 60/40 cent specials are unreal!), and then some fresh chicken/turkey breasts (buy them once every few weeks and freeze them!), then maybe a packet of mince.. A few salad potatoes, some pasta and eggs and that's a week sorted!

then whenever I go home, just raid the mammy's shelves and bring back whatever looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Living near an Aldi is a must if you want to eat well cheaply, I force myself to buy and cook whatever vegetables are on special at the end of the fruit and veg section as Avox mentioned up there^ aswell, introduces variety in my diet and I save €€€, all their frozen stuff is pure crap like everywhere else though.

Im saving a fortune since Aldi opened across the road from my house in Bray, wherever I move from now on Ill be making sure theres one within walking distance of my house, I only spend about €25 a week feeding myself these days and its the first time Ive ever had myself on a 'good' diet, ie plenty of fish/fruit/veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Thargor wrote: »
    Living near an Aldi is a must if you want to eat well cheaply,

It helps a lot!

I live 10 mins walk from an Aldi and it's great.

Goro wrote: »
    It helps a lot!

I live 10 mins walk from an Aldi and it's great.

+1 for living close to an Aldi , theres one about 5 mins up the road from my place and its a life saver if your on a tight budget , if ya havent shopped in it seriously check it youll be surprised how much you get for your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

jugger0 wrote: »
    200 australian dollars a week id say for myself.

I can easily believe it .I was recently in Perth for a week and could not believe how expensive every thing was even in the Supermarkets .Australia is easily the most expensive country i have ever been to .

Advertisement