Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superfetch

Options
  • 04-08-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea why my machine had switched off superfetch? Is it because the system disk hits a certain speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you switch it off, run SSD software or clone an SSD?

Microsoft planned to have it switched off with some SSDs with the idea that SSDs would be fast enough but it turned out that it degraded performance. Maybe they might have patched something to act with present SSDs which are better. If you have HDDs in your system, there's no really good reason to switch it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Fresh Install of Windows not less than a day ago - ran all the updates - went to go and use readyboost (windows told me I didn't need it so ignore that :D) but it told me sysmain was off.

Ive 2x Corsair P64s (RAID 0) a Seagate 'cuda 7200.12 (1TB) and some ancient 1TB Ultrastar.

Ive 16GB RAM so switched it back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Okay down to one Corsair P64 as my SYS drive now and it left it on - it must have though that a 320MB/sec read was good enough to turn it off :)

Have to say I'm on 160MB/Sec reads now - don't really notice the difference in Windows - having said that I noticed a big difference from HDD to SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Interesting, I've looked at two PCs and it's off on one and I just did a clean install the other day. I wonder is that really the best idea if you have a small SSD and stored a lot of programs on HDD. I'll have to monitor it further with various PCs.
    You're probably just as well off without the RAID some of the results are pretty shocking when it comes to degradation of performance without TRIM.

Advertisement