Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Veg Products in Asia Market, Drury St.

Options
  • 04-08-2012 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all, just to let you know that the Asia Market on Drury Street has a new range of veggie products, e.g., satay skewers, fake mutton, fake chicken, fake fish, etc. the satay skewers are especially good :-) You'll find the stuff in the fridge down at the back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

p.s. forgot to add that the range also seems to be mostly vegan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I tried the satay skewers last night on a bed of those easy peasy microwave grains/pulses (the skewers were on the bed ... not me) and they were just fantastic. Nice whack of spice without being overpowering and really "natural" consistency. Would have been lovely with a cold beer or a good reisling but I'll know next time!

I still have the mutton and chicken to try. The fish would be a step too far for me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can't wait to try these now, especially the skewers.

Slaphead07 wrote: »

I still have the mutton and chicken to try. The fish would be a step too far for me!

How did you find these?

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How did you find these?

Do you men literally? In the door and straight down to the freezers at the back. A cabinet or two from the right hand wall.

If you mean tastewise... They were both ok. A little strange and rubbery but not unpleasant, too many alternatives to the "chicken" to bother with it again but the "mutton" might be bought again. I'll be in buying the satay skewers anyway!

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Do you men literally? In the door and straight down to the freezers at the back. A cabinet or two from the right hand wall.

No...But that is really good to know. Thanks. :)

I misread, I thought you picked up the mutton and chicken too.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I misread, I thought you picked up the mutton and chicken too.

I did... I misread too and have since edited!:D

the skewers are lovely :) got the fish to try as well. Want to go back for the 1 kg :eek: of fake ribs.

I went in this week too. Tried the skewers, the spice on them was lovely.
    I found them very meaty though. Great if you like that.
    Makes me paranoid the chinese think chicken is a vegetable. ;):P
    the skewers are lovely smile.png got the fish to try as well. Want to go back for the 1 kg eek.png of fake ribs.

Were the fish and ribs meaty too Tar?

• Advertisement

Yeah lovely flavour on them and I was like...this definitely isnt meat right?!

Not tried either of those yet, will get back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

That big bag of ribs and the mutton looks mank, def wouldnt be into those. I heard the satay skewers were good, havent got to try them yet though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Another vote for the skewers! They are lovely. The fake chicken is ok, I stir fried it up with some soy and seasame oil and veggies. Handy to keep in the freezer for emergencies.

Was up in Asda Enniskillen yesterday and got some of these products http://www.goodlife.co.uk/ have yet to try them but they look yummy! They also had the Linda Mac ale pies which seem to have disappeared from the shelves down here.

finally had the satay skewers, omg amazin!

Want to go back for the 1 kg :eek: of fake ribs.

I tried them earlier. Not bad at all. I just did a flash fry but if cooked with ginger/garlic etc they could be really really nice. I had a few satay skewers as well (known in our house as "mice on a stick"), jasus they're still good!

Sounds good to me! What are the 'bone's made out of in it? Do you eat them?
    Must pick some up.

S What are the 'bone's made out of in it? Do you eat them?

Well I don't! :eek: They're a kind of plasticy woody bamboo shoot lookin' thing. I wouldn't risk it!

I'll get back to you on the taste :pac:

The fish was absolutely rotten :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

The first time I cooked the 'fish' I did it just like a slab of fish and it wasn't good. The second time I chopped it up and made a 'fish' pie and it worked very well in that (add nori sprinkle for a more 'fishy' taste, if that's what you're after). The 'chicken' chopped up in Japanese style cooking also worked out very well, I liked the texture a lot and it absorbed flavour well.

The satay skewers are the best, though, obviously most folks agree as I went in to get some the other day and they were all out! Perhaps it's a good idea to mention this to the staff so that they keep getting them in? I did.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else noticed that the Asia market on Drury street is no longer carrying any of those veg*n products? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I haven't been there in weeks but last time I was there I didn't see any in the fridges.

ye granted I'm not in Dublin that often but I was there last weekend and there was nothing! Weird coz I thought for a while there this forum was keeping them in business :P I miss those chicken type pieces. I suppose I should have been more pro-active and asked them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think they became quite pricey anyway, quorn worked out cheaper.

It may have been cheaper but they are 10 times nicer, I must ask.

Ye ask for me Tar, you can start a petition to get the satay skewers back!

I'll try but this is the part where they look at me like I have two heads! I want those, they were so damn good. I dunno why things would constantly sell out and they just stop stocking them.

I think they were the best fake meat style product I ever had. In Ireland at least.
    I was talking to one of the owners about them, about a year ago.
    She said they were a trial, and that they wouldn't be back. :(

I am most sad :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement