Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Switzerland

Options
  • 04-08-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I finish my MSc in Supply Chain Mgt from UCD this month finding it tough in the job hunt here :( Looking at all my options at the moment...Leaning towards Switzerland for a number of reasons however one big issue is I only speak English. Does this narrow my options considerably? Id be more than willing to learn a new language and immerse myself into a new culture. I want to get into a Procurement/Sourcing role and am working on new CV, LinkedIN page etc. Are there many jobs in this area does anyone living there know or better still what websites should I be looking at for jobs? Half thinking of heading out there in Sept to sos the country out and hopefully have an interview lined up too...is it hard to land a job without being in the country or would I need to be on the ground there to realisically land a job?

Sorry bout all the questions and appreciate any feedback :)

Many Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The_Poznan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I finish my MSc in Supply Chain Mgt from UCD this month finding it tough in the job hunt here :( Looking at all my options at the moment...Leaning towards Switzerland for a number of reasons however one big issue is I only speak English. Does this narrow my options considerably? Id be more than willing to learn a new language and immerse myself into a new culture. I want to get into a Procurement/Sourcing role and am working on new CV, LinkedIN page etc. Are there many jobs in this area does anyone living there know or better still what websites should I be looking at for jobs? Half thinking of heading out there in Sept to sos the country out and hopefully have an interview lined up too...is it hard to land a job without being in the country or would I need to be on the ground there to realisically land a job?

Many Thanks,
    Tom

From a mate who worked there before...

He loved it there, but its a very racist country, mainly directed at eastern Europeans and Africans...but the Irish seem to be ok

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks,
    Tom

Hi there,

I've been here for over 20 years and can highly recommend it. Most international companies use English as their working language, so language should not be an issue starting off, although a willingness to pickup one of the national languages is expected.

I would suggest you have a look at the graduate and professional programs being offered by companies like Nestle or Syngenta as a starting point.

Jim2007

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

hi jim2007

thanks for this advice i will check out these companies asap...but are there any particular recruitment companies i should chat with? oh defo will be learning a language when i arrive there always wanted to learn a 2nd language...are u fluent in many of german, french or italian yourself? im under no illusions its going to be tough getting anything out there especially with no contacts :o
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've been here for over 20 years and can highly recommend it. Most international companies use English as their working language, so language should not be an issue starting off, although a willingness to pickup one of the national languages is expected.

I would suggest you have a look at the graduate and professional programs being offered by companies like Nestle or Syngenta as a starting point.

Jim2007

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

hi jim2007

thanks for this advice i will check out these companies asap...but are there any particular recruitment companies i should chat with? oh defo will be learning a language when i arrive there always wanted to learn a 2nd language...are u fluent in many of german, french or italian yourself? im under no illusions its going to be tough getting anything out there especially with no contacts :o

Sorry, I can help you with the agencies as I have no experience of working with any of them. However, if you have good college results, it should not be too difficult to find something as a college degree is highly values here.

As for languages, my High German is passable, my French is almost not existent at this stage, but I do understand two Swiss dialects!

Advertisement