Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topshop refused exchange

• 04-08-2012 6:27pm

Hey,

Just wondering if any of you have had problems returning items to Topshop without a receipt? I was given a present from there recently but don't like it and I thought I'd be able to exchange it for something else, but when I tried to do that today I was told I had to have the receipt because for all they know I "could have robbed it." :eek:

I haven't had many dealings with Topshop as I don't shop there very much, but I was surprised by this as I thought most shops would generally do an exchange without a receipt. Is this their policy or did I just get someone awkward?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Actually alot of shops wont do a change without a receipt as they are right in their line of thought that you could of robbed it.

However if you press the issue they may accept a card statement if you paid by card, but most people wouldnt be bothered going to the bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I can understand shops having this as their policy but seems out of line of whoever it was to have made that robbing remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I can understand shops having this as their policy but seems out of line of whoever it was to have that robbing remark.

My thoughts also. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It seems to be more and more common that shops are refusing returns/exchange/refunds without receipt. They are to be fair giving the option of gift receipts.

To be fair if there is nothing faulty with the item when it was purchased they don't have to do anything. The robbing comment was out of order but must be an issue for shops if they are introducing the new policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under Consumer Law, they are not obliged to do anything for you, as there is nothing wrong with the goods and you were not in possession of a proof of purchase.

Once Consumer law is ruled out, then it's down the shop's return policy, and they can set that out whatever way they like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I can understand shops having this as their policy but seems out of line of whoever it was to have made that robbing remark.

Completely agree. Awful thing to say to a customer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

It's totally at the managers discretion if it's a gift, especially if you don't have a receipt. If you are really bothered you should ask to speak to a manager and explain the situation and say you didn't appreciate the robbing stuff comment and I'd be really suprised if they didn't allow the exchange then. More than likely you'll get the staff member is big sh*t if you identify them though, so if it were me I'd politely refuse to. I work in a high street clothes shop and you do have bad days were you get treated shockingly badly by customers and end up very fed up. So your customer service can't always be flawless even if you're super friendly and helpful 99.9% of the time. I'd give them benefit of a doubt if it were me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd mention the tactless 'robbing' comment to a manager - anyone with a bit of business sense would do an exchange for you to make up for this and try to keep/gain you as a customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

My belief is, its foolish to buy a gift of clothing for anyone nowadays, the stores have got very exact about their exchange policy. Up to now it was no problem to exchange an item. Asking for the money back is totally different. This policy would want to be clearly advertised in all shops coming up to Christmas. One does not normally enclose a receipt with a gift, even a gift receipt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dudara wrote: »
    Under Consumer Law, they are not obliged to do anything for you, as there is nothing wrong with the goods and you were not in possession of a proof of purchase.

Once Consumer law is ruled out, then it's down the shop's return policy, and they can set that out whatever way they like.

I know its not relevant here. But does consumer law say that a refund should be given for a faulty product without proof of purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... But does consumer law say that a refund should be given for a faulty product without proof of purchase?
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They should absolutely not have said that to you, but it IS the reason why they have all changed their policy, Penneys first as they have been affected by this (seriously, you'd be suprised at how brazen people are) followed by Dunnes and everyone else. However the comment that said the sales assistant should have allowed it to keep a customer is totally wrong..no sales assistant in a high street or chain store has ANY influence or leeway on a store policy. Occasionally the store manager might bend, but all of these things are signed off on and they can't allow it too often. Also, they are well within their rights not to do anything for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Could you ask the person who bought it for the receipt?

Like someone already said, you should mention the robbing thing to their manager.

Thanks for the replies. I know that legally they have no obligation to do the exchange without the receipt but when I worked in retail in the past it was always the norm to allow it. Seems the policies are changing now.

Advertisement