Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you need to be qualified to teach SPHE?

• 04-08-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi, a recent advert online required applicants to be qualified to teach SPHE and one other subject. I always thought that SPHE was a filler subject and it wasnt necessary to complete a course in order to teach this subject in secondary schools. I have taught it in the past and it wasnt a doddle but I dont think anyone would need a qualification to teach it. My question is what qualifications would be recognised by teaching council for the purposes of teaching SPHE? Genuinely curious..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

They possibly mean this:

http://www.wit.ie/courses/school/health_sciences/department_of_health_sport_exercise_studies/higher_diploma_in_social_personal_and_health_education_sphe_part_time

The Higher Diploma in SPHE from Waterford IT.

In the real world though, I always assumed attendence at a few of the Inservice courses was enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Hi, a recent advert online required applicants to be qualified to teach SPHE and one other subject. I always thought that SPHE was a filler subject and it wasnt necessary to complete a course in order to teach this subject in secondary schools. I have taught it in the past and it wasnt a doddle but I dont think anyone would need a qualification to teach it. My question is what qualifications would be recognised by teaching council for the purposes of teaching SPHE? Genuinely curious..

aunt aggie I just checked the teaching council for you. You'll find the special requirements on page 45. I thought in-services were adequate as the materials given are quite detailed on how you deal with a topic.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

aunt aggie I just checked the teaching council for you. You'll find the special requirements on page 45. I thought in-services were adequate as the materials given are quite detailed on how you deal with a topic.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf

Thanks mtoutlemonde, are many techers actually qualified to teach SPHE? I imagine they'd only be recognised to teach SPHE and one other subject which makes it seem like a bad subject combo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Thanks mtoutlemonde, are many techers actually qualified to teach SPHE? I imagine they'd only be recognised to teach SPHE and one other subject which makes it seem like a bad subject combo..

Some people are qualified to teach SPHE and as one of the posts above outline there is a course in SPHE. However as you said it's a filler subject in many schools where a principal will get anyone available to teach it. That doesn't mean all schools do it although I would think it's a filler subject in the majority. Mainly because it's a JC subject with no follow on for LC and there is no exam in it so it won't be taken as seriously as other subjects.

It is possible that the advert you saw is for a school that takes SPHE seriously and does want a qualified person teaching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Some people are qualified to teach SPHE and as one of the posts above outline there is a course in SPHE. However as you said it's a filler subject in many schools where a principal will get anyone available to teach it. That doesn't mean all schools do it although I would think it's a filler subject in the majority. Mainly because it's a JC subject with no follow on for LC and there is no exam in it so it won't be taken as seriously as other subjects.

It is possible that the advert you saw is for a school that takes SPHE seriously and does want a qualified person teaching it.

I was thinking the same rainbowtrout but I still sent in the application because it is one of those subjects

• Advertisement
Advertisement