Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panting a lawn

Options
  • 04-08-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I decided to sort out the back garden lwn earlier in the year. It was always very wet, so I dug a drainage system, and it's working very well. I spread weed killer a few weeks back, and am now ready to plant a fresh lawn. I'm getting a rotavator this week, and I want to plant the seed by week's end. I'd appreciate any tips on how best to go about it. My dad says that we won't need topsoil (him being cheap!:D) but I'm not so sure. Also: is this a good time of year to plant a lawn?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Einhard wrote: »
    Hey,
    I decided to sort out the back garden lwn earlier in the year. It was always very wet, so I dug a drainage system, and it's working very well. I spread weed killer a few weeks back, and am now ready to plant a fresh lawn. I'm getting a rotavator this week, and I want to plant the seed by week's end. I'd appreciate any tips on how best to go about it. My dad says that we won't need topsoil (him being cheap!:D) but I'm not so sure. Also: is this a good time of year to plant a lawn?

Thanks.
    The only down side to seeding a lawn now is that weed seeds will get in . If you can wait best time is late sept onwards. Grass seed will be a bit slower to germinate but that wont be a prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Panting a lawn!? what weird fetish are you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Skerries wrote: »
    Panting a lawn!? what weird fetish are you into?

I'd be permabanned if I let you in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

If youre going to rotavate and seed your lawn, rotavate but then wait a week or two, if you can- see what weed seeds germinate etc. because they will, then sow...

Trust me- dont sow straight after rotavating the soil whatever the time of year.

Let us know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

muckyhands wrote: »
    If youre going to rotavate and seed your lawn, rotavate but then wait a week or two, if you can- see what weed seeds germinate etc. because they will, then sow...

Trust me- dont sow straight after rotavating the soil whatever the time of year.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Thanks. I'll do that. You think topsoil is a good idea? Or would I get away without it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll do that. You think topsoil is a good idea? Or would I get away without it?

That there depends on what youve been blessed with im afraid, so far as your topsoil, you will have to make your own call on it... If I cant see/ feel it I cant really advise...

What weeds were growing in your garden before? Will indicate some things to a degree.... :)

Advertisement