Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Kilkenny buildings

Options
  • 04-08-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

There are quite a number of wonderful buildings, both historic and more modern, in Kilkenny City and County. I thought it'd be interesting to start a thread for people to name their personal favourites. By favourite, I'm not talking about those buildings that people like being in the most (because then the local pub or home would predominate!), but rather those which are most aesthetically pleasing.

For myself, I'm a bit of a history buff, and so the castle, Rothe House, Kells Priory etc are all close to top of my list. However it's a more recent building that really tickles my fancy: The Watershed in Loughboy. I just think it's a really nice looking building- it's well-designed, has clean, pleasing lines, and is so different from the usual type municipal design as typified by the old swimming pool. It looks a gigantic tanker, and I think it's a wonderful looking place, and functional too.

So...what is your favourite building in Kilkenny? Try to give a few lines on what makes it so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I must say that Kilkenny has many under-appreciated buildings, architecture and historical value. Every time I pass St. Mary's Cathedral I am in awe of the absolute detail.
    We must be the envy of other counties with our cathedrals, churches, round towers and castles which are all vying for position in our skyline.

I also love Mount Sandford Castle in Inistioge, Kells Priory, Grangefertagh Round Tower (massive and utterly dominating) and Tullaherin Monastic Site.

Where else can boast a center feature as attractive as this?

BD1C987291F945AE81BF9EA5859EEFB1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ah, but what's your favourite building of them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I quite like the ladies of the night building myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Kilkenny is full of interesting historical buildings and spaces but I think Market Cross SC was a good development as it was far more historically sympathetic than what was there beforehand, although the Carpark isn't pleasant.

It's hard to pick a favourite from the Castle, Canices Cathedral, the Black Abbey, the Tholsel, Butler house/gardens, Rothe house/gardens, Tynans Bar, The Hibernian and Left bank, even Dores butchers has a unique aspect.

If I have to choose I'd have to go for the Castle, my favorite view of Kilkenny is from the Key room looking up towards Canices Cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭kentreaper

Who could argue with the Norman Castle - well over 1,000 years old and in very good nick?

The old Duke only left there in the 1940's to live in the stables across the road, now the Design Workshops; he was unable to afford the rates on the Castle, payable if occupied. He died in 1948, without issue.

A few years later, the Castle was sold, by his estate, to the Board of Works (Irish Goverment) for £1 - and opened to the public.

Sadly, the history of the place/estate is not well told by students/guides (unable to answer the most basic questions, which are not in their 'pack') - who should have lessons from the National Trust/English Heritage in the UK.

The Round Tower would be next; also steeped in history....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

kentreaper wrote: »

Sadly, the history of the place/estate is not well told by students/guides (unable to answer the most basic questions, which are not in their 'pack') - who should have lessons from the National Trust/English Heritage in the UK.

Oi, I was a guide there! :pac:

Also, the castle is not well over a thousand years old. Got that in my "pack"! :cool::D

OK, building of the Norman Castle started about 1173!

But, there was a residence on the site long before that......

:cool:

That's one the great things about the castle, it's multi period.

What do people think of Marys Cathedral?

Personally I think it's rather dull, it looks good on the skyline but it really isn't an interesting building. Scale is impressive but it lacks historical interest. I can't think of anything interesting to say about it. I'd be glad if someone could make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Apparently nearly 100 men died in the building of it.

I can't imagine they were having much craic building that yolk. I don't know if that makes it more impressive.

(It has a walk in wardrobe too)

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    Apparently nearly 100 men died in the building of it.
    Wow, that's not small news, I'd like to know more about it, must look it up the next time i have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

100? thats a lot of deaths for one building.
    It might not have much history, but it will in 1000 years.

Theres not much in the way of modern architecture in Kilkenny, the kylemore clinic on the Fresford road maybe, the new health centre opposite the loretta.
    The new Loretta school looks a bit bland,will need to see it finished I suppose.

catbear wrote: »
    Scale is impressive but it lacks historical interest

Very true, its wikipedia entry really has nothing to say!

I served mass there and can remember the pomposity of the Administrator(s) - priests in charge. They thought they were aristocracy, and humility was for the plebs.

But, when Dr Birch (with a real doctorate!) became Bishop, things changed and the 'Bishops Palace' across the road was knocked down to make way for a school.

Instead of a massive Dodge (in which the previous Bishop was driven), Dr Birch - himself - drove a small Triumph, RIP 13; he had a sense of humour....

:)

Thanks for the input kentreaper, i not up on RCC personalities but it's interesting to hear how they influenced change.
    I've always wondered what it's like up on the top, I'd imagine they could make a few bob like Canices tower do if they opened it.

I'd imagine they could make a few bob like Canices tower do if they opened it.

Maybe; I've been up the tower a few times. You could get the key from the 'rector'.

Great view - not a lot else.

In the UK, there are two main organisations who do great work to show historic buildings to the public - the National Trust and English Heritage. Their sites are visitor friendly with info, cafes, toilets, parking etc.

As well, private properties are open and run as businesses - Longleat (with animals), Windsor Castle, Chatsworth House.

For whatever reason(s), the ROI has never been able to do the same.

kentreaper wrote: »
    For whatever reason(s), the ROI has never been able to do the same.
    Hopefully access will improve but if I understand it correctly the national trust in the UK relies on a lot of volunteers, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

hi5 wrote: »

my granny use to live around the corner from Ormonde house, how where they ever aloud build that sh!te across the road from it

Hopefully access will improve but if I understand it correctly the national trust in the UK relies on a lot of volunteers, is that true?

Yes, the National Trust have mostly volunteers (as well as a small permanent staff at each site).

A high percentage of volunteers are retired people who do a few hours a week.

In the ROI, the equivalent is An Taisce - but I know little about it.

The National Trust has about 300 sites in the UK, and for an annual fee of about £40, an entire family can visit them all - free and as often as they like!

Thanks for confirming that Kentreaper. I can't imagine Ireland ever been able to match the volunteer numbers that the UK has, population density is so many times greater.
    However with so much high structural unemployment it's probably a good opportunity to get people interested and involved in cultural heritage until the economy picks up again.

Catbear, your points are all valid.

Another one! During the troubles, a lot of fine Irish properties were lost and are now just ruins.

Here in the UK, wealthy people have left ther homes to the people of Britain for generations; these are now managed by the National Trust.

Kipling, Churchill, Wellington, Disraeli etc. etc.

In addition, the goverment acquired them (and passed them to the NT) as payment of death duties and other taxes.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

When we were kids, Fr. Maher used to tell us that nearly a hundred men died over the construction of St. Mary's. It could have been a lot of exaggeration though.

Priests and their wild stories you know?

Other interesting local church trivia is that St. John's ran out of money before it could be finished which is why it's flat on the top. They could never finish the roof!

Threadhead wrote: »
    Other interesting local church trivia is that St. John's ran out of money before it could be finished which is why it's flat on the top. They could never finish the roof!
    I remember asking my dad about that when I was really young and he said it was because catholic churches weren't allowed to have spires. Years later I found out the truth and it really made me wonder about the brainwashing my fathers generation went through.

I remember asking my dad about that when I was really young and he said it was because catholic churches weren't allowed to have spires. Years later I found out the truth and it really made me wonder about the brainwashing my fathers generation went through.

So how did he explain the other catholic churches with spires in Kilkenny and everywhere else?

So how did he explain the other catholic churches with spires in Kilkenny and everywhere else?
    In the small world of a child, i believed the grownups were telling the truth. I didn't even know what the difference between church of Ireland and RCC, to me they all looked the same.

^Ah, I see, I thought you meant your father belived it:o

^Ah, I see, I thought you meant your father belived it:o

Sober up 5!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Einhard mentioned the watershed looking like a liner, was he thinking of the titanic or the costa concordia?
    I quite like Teenypark or Zumi's and the watergate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wouldnt say its my favourite building, but I do have a fondness for this place because of its 'Murder Hole'.....a secret-ish hole near the roof through which you can throw down boiling liquids on prowlers down below.

Also, nearby country side is lovely.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://carneycastle.com/Clara/photo1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://carneycastle.com/Clara/index.htm&usg=__tjSK2zNfLIb5-z43B0_U_0ZF5CE=&h=637&w=468&sz=111&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&tbnid=TuVvjazSKlWm7M:&tbnh=137&tbnw=101&ei=Up8jUJ2CCvOU0QWH6YDwDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dclara%2Bcastle%2Bkilkenny%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

I quite like Teenypark or Zumi's and the watergate
    I was forgetting Zuni!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Clara Castle, excellent, very similar to Ballybur, though never heard of the secret room, though they lack something, you don't go ooh and ah.
    We lost so much during the troubles, another building is Kettler's, okay it is a pub and as such it will always be.
    The houses in Wellington Square are perhaps romantic and quaint, the Black abbey has a reverence about it.
    I hate to say it the Council Offices have some cred about them, the one place that despite being lavished with money leaves me cold, Langton's, we are talking buildings, not the service etc, inside is okay but nothing to rave over.

Advertisement