Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rhyming anomalies.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was it Ms Muffet or Jack Horner who had the curds and whey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

When did 'Ba Ba Black sheep' become a 'rainbow sheep'? It makes zero sense now.

My teacher friend gave out to me when I was teaching my nephew the proper way.

Rasheed wrote: »

It presumes black is a bad thing.Sounds a bit racist to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And don't start about 'eenie, meenie, minee mo...'

And don't start about 'eenie, meenie, minee mo...'
    Well fair enough, that wasn't on.
    kneemos wrote: »
    It presumes black is a bad thing.Sounds a bit racist to me.

Racist to sheep??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm starting to get flashbacks of our dad singing to us about smashing someones head in with a silver hammer when I was little...

... can't for the life of me remember how it went.

I'm starting to get flashbacks of our dad singing to us about smashing someones head in with a silver hammer when I was little...

Was it when he was drunk?

It's a Beatles song :D

Bang bang maxwells silver hammer came down on her head. Bang bang maxwells silver hammer made sure she was dead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Dads have the best songs.

Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work,
    Deedle idle eedle idle eedle idle doh.

I was reminded of that in Kerry the other day because there's another verse about getting a job digging a whole down in Annascaul and we went to the Tom Crean bar there...

• Advertisement

Chloris wrote: »
    Dads have the best songs.

Deedle idle eedle idle eedle idle doh.

I was reminded of that in Kerry the other day because there's another verse about getting a job digging a whole down in Annascaul and we went to the Tom Crean bar there...

Is your dad Christy Moore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It's a Beatles song :D

Bang bang maxwells silver hammer came down on her head. Bang bang maxwells silver hammer made sure she was dead!!

I like the idea of teaching my kid
    "Joan was quizzical, studied pataphysical science in the home" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Rainbow sheep?? :confused:
    You are joking?!

Chucken wrote: »
    You are joking?!
    No seriously! Thats what she said is the rhyme they learn in playschool now.
    I never heard anything so ridiculous.

Does'nt even rhyme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The world is gone mad!

• Advertisement

The world is gone mad!

If you had one or two black kids in a class it's possible they could be singled out I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You are joking?!
    The world is gone mad!
    If you had one or two black kids in a class it's possible they could be singled out I suppose.

What if there are Gay kids in the Class?

But it's about sheep. Actual sheep. It was never anything to do with people. It was to do with.....sheep. And in fact, it was that the black sheep was feckin fantastic because of his pre-dyed wool!

Sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

But it's about sheep. Actual sheep. It was never anything to do with people. It was to do with.....sheep. And in fact, it was that the black sheep was feckin fantastic because of his pre-dyed wool!

Sheep.

According to a BBC article in 2006 it had nothing to do with political correctness,
    "Critics say altering the words of the traditional nursery rhyme is an example of political correctness gone too far.
    But the charity running the nurseries, Parents and Children Together (Pact), said the move was educational, not motivated by racial concerns.
    Pact said children were encouraged to use a wide range of words in songs."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4782856.stm

Load of bull imo. over the years Children have managed to build their vocabulary perfectly well by reciting Baa Baa Black Sheep amonst many other rhymes.

Sheep.

I know,but they must have some reasoning for thier madness.

• Advertisement

I know,but they must have some reasoning for thier madness.

Whose madness?

Whose madness?

Putting rainbow instead of black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Whose madness?

a popular ska band from the 80's

Putting rainbow instead of black.

Ah just regular madness I reckon. "oh god, we can't say the word black, black means we sound racist". Feckin loop da loops!

Ah just regular madness I reckon. "oh god, we can't say the word black, black means we sound racist". Feckin loop da loops!

It is the obvious conclusion most people would come to

It is the obvious conclusion most people would come to
    No it's not. In all my years of hearing that rhyme, race has never entered my mind.

No it's not. In all my years of hearing that rhyme, race has never entered my mind.

It's the conclusion people would come to when they change black to rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Was it Ms Muffet or Jack Horner who had the curds and whey?

Little Miss Muffet had curds and whey. She was happily sitting on a tuffet eating them when the spider appeared. Jack Horner had the christmas pie:).

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

You want weird rhymes, look up Green Day

Advertisement