Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mediterannean Green Shrubs/Plants and Fir Tree

Options
  • 04-08-2012 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought some Mediterannean Green grass plants from Homebase (apolgies I cant remember their names).

The description said "good for coastal gardens", which is where I'm at (west coast).

Planted in about Feb. No progress made, growth wise, but still green enough, and dont appear to be dying. But as the leaves are so tough, the plant might look OK but, Im not convinced.

I have 6 around the garden, mostly in full sun, although some have gone into part shade with the growth other neighbouring plants.

I'm wondering should I replant them into pots and take them inside? Or is growth slow with these plants, especially in first year in ground.

If I do put them in pots, when should this be done?

Fir Tree: A fir tree in our front garden has grown to 12 feet tall, but its way too close to our house and my neighbours house. It provides great privacy, but it will need to be moved.

When is the best month to dig up and replant? I'm thinking November/December time?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not sure what you would achieve by taking them indoors? Unless you want them indoors on a long term basis they are going to have to go out again at some stage.

It has been very wet and cool for mediterranean plants, what kind of soil are they in, I imagine they would prefer a lighter, free draining soil, but without knowing what you have its hard to say.

They may survive, or they may not, quite often gardening is an experiment. You win some you lose some. In your situation I would be inclined to leave them to it and see what happens. Its not a good time of year to move them at the moment, the current weather is enough to kill anything. If you do move them I suggest somewhere sunnier and dryer, but my inclination would be to leave them.

The fir tree, yes, leave it till after October, it may or may not survive being moved but no point leaving it too near the house and having to have a tree surgeon remove it in ten years time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

See my thread on planting up indoor plants for some tips and ideas.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79435352

Lots of pics too.;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

@Looksee. Thanks for comments/opinions. Yes that all makes sense. (Med Plants) I'll leave them where they are. Fir Tree: Yep, October time dig up and move.

@Paddy, great pics and info...inspiring! (The Tesco one is hilarious!)

Thanks folks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

@Looksee. Thanks for comments/opinions. Yes that all makes sense. (Med Plants) I'll leave them where they are. Fir Tree: Yep, October time dig up and move.

@Paddy, great pics and info...inspiring! (The Tesco one is hilarious!)

Thanks folks :)

"Every little helps".......:D

My missus does the real work,I only take the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Fir Tree: A fir tree in our front garden has grown to 12 feet tall, but its way too close to our house and my neighbours house. It provides great privacy, but it will need to be moved.

When is the best month to dig up and replant? I'm thinking November/December time?

many thanks

Am wondering how close you are to the coast and how exposed the new site for the tree will be?
    Over the years I've gotten better results moving evergreens in Feb/March than in October/November - which are definitely the best months usually. I think you escape the worst of the winter gales, sea spray etc. If you're fairly sheltered stick with autumn.
    (Either way, a 12 ft tree will struggle and will need to be very well staked and watered if there are any dry spells next summer :D)

• Advertisement

Thanks Lott Paul....thanks for that and v interesting too.

We' are about 3 minute walk from the shore. County Sligo

I'm trying to remember when the worst winds were last winter...anyways, we had a fir tree, about 10 feet, it was staked but well established...and I should have removed the stakes had I known...anyways, big wind last winter during 2/3 day storm, snapped 3/4 of the top clean off (due to strong stakes)....so I dug it up.

Could'nt bare to dump it with a bit of green still on it. And now its growing happily, thriving even, with just the bottom part of the tree in a corner of the garden.

@LookSee. I meant to mention: Sandy soil...

Advertisement